“Best Japanese Restaurant in the Gold Coast!”
Review of Wassam

Wassam
Price range: US$13 - US$18
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Best Japanese Restaurant in the Gold Coast!”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I read previous reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to go there with my family with high expectations. In the end, I dined in Wa-ssam a total of 4 times, each time trying something different on the menu.

Portions were generous, and if you have a stomach for raw sashimi, then this is the place. The servings of sashimi were generous and unlike other establishments, they graced the bento (box) meals with 3 pieces each of salmon, tuna, yellow fin, octopus, etc. For the Chirashi Sushi, they even had double servings of Uni (Sea Urchin) which is expensive. All this for $25 or less. What a good deal!

On one of the nights, I tried the Tempura and the dish lived up to my expectations. The batter was cooked to perfection.

They also have a good selection of Japanese Sake and beer to go with your meal.

The wait staff (I suspect were the owners) were very friendly and accommodating and after 2 consecutive nights, they recognised us when we were next there.

Having eaten there on different nights, I could comment on their quality control and I was impreseed that the cook was consistent and the presentation was always to a high standard.

Taste was nearly as authentic as eating in Japan, the rice was cooked nicely and the presentation of the Tempura was very good.

Now back home, I already miss Wa-ssam and am plotting for my next trip to Gold Coast to savour their dishes again.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank d0gbert

Geelong, Australia
“So much better than all the overpriced and overrated restaurants in Surfers.”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Totally agree with all the reviews before me - a hidden gem on the tacky Gold Coast. We felt like we were in Tokyo! Great food and our kids (9 and 12) loved it too.

1 Thank SkiMum2011
Australia
“Great little hidden restaurant”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Wa-ssamm is pretty authentic (although the fitout and cleanliness is very spick and span). We went as a family group just on opening time at 5:30 - we had a great time. The staff were very helpful with the kids which helped us a great deal so we could order more adult dishes for ourselves (eg made sure the kids were served swiftly, had drinks etc).

The food is great - seafood, fish and tempura obviously freshly prepared. The menu is nicely presented bi-lingual with numbers and pictures so no worries on ordering.

I'd recommend doing BYO before you get there - the wine listed is ok for restaurant, but their BYO charge is minimal so you can save a bit on wine and spend up on food.

A plus - if you park right underneath in Chevron Towers, parking is free with a receipt from the restaurant. Just give them the receipt as you leave the parking station.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank tm007
Brisbane, Australia
“Fresh, delicious Japanese food”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We went here based on tripadvisor reviews. The food was excellent.

We had salmon sashimi, tempura vegetables, fresh seafood spring rolls, gyoza and curry rice with egg.

Sashimi was fresh, melted in our mouths, and very reasonably priced. And all other dishes were equally delicious.

Service was great, friendly and fast. highly recommend.

1 Thank scancat
Australia
“Hidden Gem, best restaurant in Surfers”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Over the past week we have eaten at a number of restaurants and two really standing out this would be my number one pick and the other the Thai restaurant rated number 2.

The friendly service and great atmosphere of this little restaurant was appealing. The staff were happy to help and you knew it was good when 90% off the people eating at the restaurant were locals.

The food was great quality fresh and delicious.

Don't give up on finding it as I noticed that it had been tagged incorrectly on trip advisor. Find the chevron plaza then opposite the infinity up the first flight of stairs you will find this hidden gem.

• Visited September 2011