“nice but you dont get what you book”

Oaks Gateway on Palmer
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Townsville, Australia
“nice but you dont get what you book”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

as we come to townsville on a regular basis for medical treatment we have tried a few places unfortuately we booked through one of the online sites and requested a room with views over the river what we got was a room overlooking the back of ribs and rump kitchen with there exhaust fan spewing out smelly fat, when i questioned it was told "we make no gaurentees of what room you get" and anyway we have a busy weekend with a sports carnival in town and everything is taken! the room we got was nice, clean and roomy pity about the rooms view, we also could still hear some of the street noise where we were, and just a note considering the cost of TV now adays why such a lousy tiny one in the room. good location for access to many livelly eateries, and access to motel good but your checkin paperwork is over kill, never had that before, you have all our details when we booked online why go through it all again when we arrive?, would we stay again not sure about that not gaurenteed to get what we pay for is poor business to just give you what they choose well we are the customer and i am sure the many other motels would be happy to give us what we ask for !

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donna d
Jayne N, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Good afternoon Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback during your recent visit to Townsville. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Oaks Gateway on Palmer. When you are travelling (in particular) for medical reasons, it tends to provide a little more comfort when you have a tranquil view as a bonus. Unfortunately with the room type you selected, these rooms are all located on the Palmer Street side, with the exception of four rooms which were already reserved. A particular view is often only a requuest but I totally appreciate when you have requested an item there is a fair expectation that you are hoping to receive what you asked for. Our front desk staff need to be very understanding when advising that requests cannot be honoured as it is of course disappointing for you, our Guest.
I certainly understand your frustration at having to duplicate your details to both agent and on arrival to us. Despite our requests, not all agents provide the guest information to the hotel in advance.
I do hope you will stay with us again when you next visit Townsville. Do not hesitate to call us direct if you make another on line booking and we will endeavour to do our absolute best to accommodate your requests whilst appreciating both occupancy and restrictions on certain room types. Thank you once again for taking the time. I have spoken to our staff and expressed they could have communicated in a better fashion so that this type of guest enquiry is handled with more empathy in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

So have stayed in HH which was just a room but excellent food and service.
Quest lots of charge backs to hotel from all of the restaurants in Southbank but as noisy as anything.
Oaks M nice and quiet but only has charge back for the pub at the front.

So Oaks Gateway, very good price for a 1 bedroom apartment with a nice large bathroom and a washer and dryer which was much appreciated with a weeks stay in TSV each month, even though every day I had to go down to reception to get a washing machine powder as they never left any after daily service.

Room and premises very clean and modern.

Checking in they take a pre-authorisation and the full amount of your stay off of your credit card, when asked why got repeated to me 5 times its just policy. No explination.
So for my expenses I have to provide 2 sets of receipts for the hotel stay and another for the food, instead of just 1 receipt which should cover the whole stay. Not business friendly.

Stayed on 9 floor and as this place has a high occupancy of owners, my lovely neighbour had a love affair with playing his music load.

Would I stay again well its second on the list, but for now will continue to stay down at Oaks M. as it covers off my neede better.

Room Tip: High Floor away from the exhaust fan from the Ribs restaurant down stairs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ShaunScotland
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Shaun,

Thank you for feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Oaks Gateway on Palmer in Townsville. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our one bedroom apartment which provides full facilities and plenty of space.

Our housekeeping staff work very hard to achieve the high standard of cleanliness you mention. However I have spoken to them regarding the lack of laundry powder in relation to your daily service. I can understand how inconvenient this would have been when you were about to do some clothes washing.

Feedback from many of our other corporate guests has indicated that they enjoy settling thir accommodation on arrival as this speeds up their check out process when there are no additional charges. We also request a pre-authorisation of $150 on your credit card which holds this amount on your credit card to guarantee any incidentals, such as meals at nearby restaurants where chargebacks have been set up. This amount comes back on your card within approximately five working days. I have provided this feedback to our front desk staff to improve the way in which they relay this information.

We do offer a 24 hour reception desk so any noise issues in the future please do not hesitate to call reception. We certainly hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future when we trust you will experience our usual highest standard of service.
Bowen
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I travel to Townsville at least twice a month and have stayed at a number of hotels, yet I always find myself returning to this one. A perfect base for the business traveller. If I was with my family, I would prefer to stay at the strand, but when travelling for business it can't be beaten.
The rooms are always very clean and well presented. If I did have one complaint, I would suggest larger televisions as the wall mounted ones in use at the hotel are pretty small.

• Stayed November 2013
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
It is wonderful to hear that you return regularly to our property. I am delighted that we are able to accommodate your needs for business travel and sincerely hope that we continue to see you on a regular basis.
Melbourne
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Only a one-night stay, so didn't get to use all facilities, but my short stay was good. Staff were very nice, rooms were clean and spacious, and the location is right on the strip of bars and restaurants. Several have charge-back facilities to Oaks.

Overall, a nice stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff were friendly and helpful. Oaks on Gateway certainly does have one of the best locations in Townsville right in the heart of Palmer street - Townsvilles restaurant precinct. I will pass on your comments to our housekeeping team regarding the high standard of cleanliness you found in your accommodation. We hope to welcome you back to Townsville for a longer stay next time you visit
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently had an extended stay in this hotel for work, and it was fantastic. I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 6th floor over looking Palmer street, and found it to be modern, clean, and comfortable.

The kitchen facilities were fantastic, allowing for full preparation of meals, including a full sized stove, dishwasher, cutlery, crockery, etc... There was individual portions of tea, coffee, sugar etc... for making hot drinks, but, a little disappointingly, no salt or pepper, which would have made preparing meals a little easier.

The bathroom was clean and modern, with the soaps and shampoos replaced daily without exception.

The bedroom was comfortable, with a large king bed made by joining two single beds. I found this to be fine, as I don't mind a firm mattress, but, others might find it a little uncomfortable. There was no television in the bedroom, despite having a mounting arm for one at one point. While this isn't unusual in one bedroom apartments that I've stayed at, since the TV is in the living room a few feet away, it would have been nice to watch a little bit of TV in bed, especially since it seems that there was a TV there at one point.

Reception staff were very friendly to me, and I found the entire experience dealing with people to be quite pleasant. I liked the secure underground parking available, though, it can be a little tight to navigate.

All in all, I view this hotel very positively, and it's the best hotel that I've stayed at in Townsville so far.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Townsville. We work hard to ensure our rooms are maintained to a high standard and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Maclean, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This is a very nice hotel and very hard to fault - cleanliness, wonderful position, good room and facilities etc. BUT the one thing that spoiled it for us was the check-in "requirements" - even though we had paid our 4 night accommodation some two months in advance, nevertheless at check in they still 'required' our full names and address, phone number, mobile phone number, email address, a photo ID was required to be produced, AND then a further 'stand-by' deduction of an arbitrary $150 was taken from our VisaCard. Now we are simple, honest folk (pensioners, actually) who certainly have nothing to hide, but draw the line at the unnecessary need for why ALL our details were (as the desk clerk stated) 'a requirement' to be tabled and recorded, specially when we had already paid in full well in advance. We stayed in many hotels and motels on this holiday tour but never had to deliver anywhere near such amount of personal information, nor have to provide our hosts with potential advance access to funds from our VisaCard - and for what reason?
Again, and unique to the booking in process, the sign-in form also contained half a page of fine print, which we had to initial and also sign. A bit daunting, and certainly not experienced at any other place we stayed at - it all made us feel somewhat exploited and untrustworthy. We would certainly like to know the real rationale behind all this excessive procedure. A nice hotel, but we were not happy at the invasive book-in necessities - but then again, we are only the customers.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 9th floor, with great views over the pool, river, town bridge and part of the ci...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed both our Oaks facilties and everything that Townsvile has to offer.

I am dissapointed that on arrival you found our check-in procedures to be invasive. Normally our reservations team do take address details at the time of booking so this does not need to be requested on arrival. As you can appreciate, we do require these contact details incase you left any personal possessions behind on departure. It is policy to request a pre authorisation on your credit card. This is for any incidentals incurred during your stay. It is also held for security as each apartment is self contained and individually owned. I trust this did not spoil your stay with us as we work hard to ensure you receive the best Welcome at all of our Oaks properties. I will double check with our reservations team to ensure this information is being relayed to our guests at the booking stage. Thank you again for taking the time to provide valuable feedback so we can continue to maintain the highest standards of service.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This place is really nice. Good location, clean and the pool and the view are great. Palmer lifestyle close by and we loved the rooms and balcony. Our room was big with a large laudry/bathroom and had everything we needed. This is better than the Oaks M on Palmer which we got mixed up with which we wont do again.

Room Tip: Get a Balcony - its lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway on Palmer, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Our pool is situated with a great aspect over the river. I am so glad you found the location both relaxing and vibrant in terms of the many dining opportunities here in Palmer street. We look forward to welcoming you back to Townsville soon.