“Could be so much better”
Review of The Saltcellar - CLOSED

The Saltcellar
Price range: US$10 - US$41
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Warm, homely and intimate, The Saltcellar is the perfect setting to indulge one of Townsville's largest wine cellars, boasting over 150 bottles from vintage labels to local and international favourites.Whether you sit down for a glass of wine with friends or settle in for a fine-dining experience with loved ones, every visit to The Saltcellar will leave you wanting more.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We recently went here for dinner as this has always been our favourite restaurant in Townsville but I would have to say that it was disappointing to leave with a bill that was almost $200 (for 2 people) and enough to make me think twice about ever going back.

The staff were really friendly and helpful; however, the meals (entree, main and dessert) were overpriced for the quality and taste - the food was quite lacklustre, and getting charged $9.00 for water in a refilled glass bottle from restaurant on top of an already expensive bill was probably the most insulting thing.

It would be nice if it felt like the focus was on providing good food and value for money and an enjoyable dining experience for patrons not to try to make as much money as possible... as this would be in the businesses best interest also as it would encourage people to want to return and spend more money. It now makes sense why the restaurant was also empty. I would have to say that i would rather have gone somewhere else and had money to spare for another night out. Under the arrangement, I will be finding a new favourtie restaurant.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Chose Saltcellar for my birthday celebration with family. All three entrees and three main dishes we ordered were well presented, cooked to perfection and delicious. The staff were attentive and professional. A lovely dining experience. Thank you Saltcellar. We will be back!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

My partner and I strolled down palmer st looking for somewhere to eat and chose saltcellar because it was the only resteraunt that the waitress smiled and said hello as we walked past and that welcoming feeling out us into the desire to eat there, once we were in the resteraunt was quite full so we did not know what to expect on waiting time but the young lady ensured us that we would be fine. We noticed the prices were out of our range but we shared a few entrees and a desert instead of a main and that did us fine, it bought a bit of a romantic spark to my wife and that made me happy. Overall the presentation was beautiful the good was very interesting and I did notice all the intriquite details that was done in the meals so well done to the team of young men in the kitchen . Defiantly will go back, only downfall was the table next to us had some filthy language but was entertaining in the end. Well done salt cellar

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was a great night. Food was a taste sensation...presentation was second to none. Wait staff and bar staff were attentive. Thanks for the special birthday cake....absolutely the best dining experience in town.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I was in Saltcellar that evening and the only thing I saw was this group doing anything they could to avoid paying their full bill. When the brains trust of Townsville decided to not pay the full amount owing they then started to order rounds of shots costing over $100 per round.
Their intention then was clearly to leave without paying the full amount. It was people for another table who interrupted their dinning experience to alert the manager that they had over heard the highly intellectual conversation of the brains trust who planed to pay only what they felt like paying. On counting the money there was in fact a substantial amount missing, like the account of events above, and the manager did what any good manager would do and chased them down. It was only after they personally insulted the manager, who remained calm, and said they weren't going to pay that the offer of involving the police was suggested. Strangely enough they paid and left.
This is the essential detail that, much like the money they left, was lacking in the account about!
Well done to the young man and his "sidekick" for handling some very difficult people professionally.

3  Thank Alistair S