“Didn't live up to expectations..”

Wayne & Adele's Garden of Eating
Ranked #57 of 382 Restaurants in Townsville
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I finally paid the garden of eating a visit after months of anticipation and hearing many good reviews. The evening started off well, service was good and we shared a starter, which was fairly enjoyable. Once the mains came out however, the evening took a downward turn. I got the kangaroo and my partner got the duck. The duck was fairly nice, but the kangaroo was not enjoyable and tasted slightly of mud. We made the mistake of assuming that the "small" portion would be sufficient at over $22 each, but we both finished our tiny portions in less than 5 minutes. Still feeling very hungry we decided to call it quits and go to That Place on Sturt for a $10 pizza to fill us up.
Not what we expected after having paid $60 at the Garden for nothing more than an entree.

1  Thank Grace_548
There are newer reviews for Wayne & Adele's Garden of Eating

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I visited the Garden of Eating for my birthday in May 2012 and absolutely fell head over heels with the quirky, kitschy atmosphere, creative dishes and homey-feel of the place. We revisited again this year for my birthday once more but I feel a little let down. The new menu wasn't super appealing, and the portion sizes seemed to have not only shrunk, but disappeared. We waited over an hour and a half for our meals, which was understandable as Wayne was the only person in the kitchen, but we felt that Adele wasn't particularly happy to be waiting on us and after waiting in the cold for our food, I found my pork and apple fritter almost inedibly tough. When we ordered desserts, we were rather rudely told that they would be closing soon and we felt hurried to finish up and get out. All in all, I was a bit embarrassed to have brought my friends and family to a place I'd raved about and to have such a disappointing experience. I really hope that this was a one-off and things aren't slowly going downhill, but I don't feel very motivated to visit again very soon.

4  Thank flipstick2332
Reviewed 29 May 2013

You know, this isn't one of those "Michelin Star, celebrity chef, [--] factor +10" pretentious places that people go on about like it's the place to be seen.

The restaurant is one of those hole in the wall, laid back, homely places where you just say "give me whatever you think is a great thing" and be blown away by what you receive.

I've actually done this twice now and whilst I admit that I would never have selected a couple of dishes, but I have been impressed with what I have received.

Do yourself a favour, go there with no idea what yo want to eat and let Wayne & Adele pleasantly surprise you. ;-)

1  Thank Mark_Fitzgerald
Reviewed 27 May 2013

i was very surprised when i went here for dinner, I guess I had some preconceptions... but it was a very good surprise!
I love the setting for eating, very relaxed and quite "special", the food was lovely and I had a really great evening,

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We visited this restaurant because of all of the positive reviews. I must say that the restaurant has a lovely ambience, the courtyard of an evening is just lovely. But we found the food a bit disappointing, it was nice and well cooked, but I would only rate it as average. Not good enough for us to revisit :(

3  Thank Linda M