“Not overly impressed”

Rydges Southbank Townsville
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed 15 June 2014

SWMBO and I only stayed one night.
On entering the hotel I was initially impressed. Sure, our check in was a bit muddled but the staff member did mention that she was new so I wont deduct any points there. We all have to begin somewhere. Must say the check in staff were friendly.
We were given a room on the top floor (7) so we had reasonable views. The main gripe is that considering the hotel claims to be recently refurbished, other than a paint job and new carpets I wonder what has been done? The bathroom still has a shower curtain and desperately needs better lighting. The fridge is a temperature controlled wine fridge so it doesn't lend itself to allowing you to put what you want into it. Whilst there is no complimentary drinking water, the tap water is perfectly good for drinking and wi-fi is FREE! Yes!.
Our room was quiet, the double bed comfortable, the breakfast buffet was quite extensive and better than some I have endured. At $230 odd for the night (a Saturday) I still think it is overpriced for what is on offer (I should mention I got the Priority Guest discount rate) and a Visa surcharge (really?) adds to the cost.
Would I stay again? I'm not sure what other hotels in the area charge so it is a bit hard to say.
Certainly the location can not be faulted so it is a maybe from me.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive criticism! Thank you for your understanding regarding our new team members as we have had a few commence at the same time. I appreciate your patience. The rooms did have a soft refurbishment and we are looking to get some new furniture in the coming year. The bathrooms are dated and we are also aware of this. FREE WI-FI is the best! We are happy to provide this as a service. Who doesn't like free wi-fi! It's also great to hear that you enjoyed our Palmer Street location, it is excellent for dining and always seems to have something happening!
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Townsville.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Southbank Townsville

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Please show to management! Advertised as apartments on Palmer St, not dirty industrial street in the boondocks totally seperate to main building. Disgusted by your deceit. And how that apartment could be four stars in beyond me. Is maintenance ever carried out? Air cons DID not work, broken tiles you could cut your foot on, batteries in remotes that of course are flat, I could go on and on. We were booked in to stay three nights but only stayed one and that was begrudgingly, we would have been charged anyway so decided to stay. I will certainly tell everyone I know about how truly awful it was.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank MMCH72

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. All websites state that the apartments are located on McIllwraith street to the rear of the hotel. I understand that you were upset regarding the location however it is only 100 metres from Palmer Street. We are working on the apartments to bring them up to speed as they require a fresh paint and some maintenance works.
Once again, thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the moment we checked into this hotel staff were disinterested and unhelpful. We were told room sevice is only available between 6-8.30 which is stupidly limited but then on pressing for more information on where one might eat dinner outside these hours we were given a shrug of the shoulders and told there was a convenience store nearby. Lucky that was pointed out- as ALL food and beverage in the mini bar was at least 6months out if date. The showers were mould ridden and the air conditioning is painfully loud. Awful experience

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Kelly F

Hi Kelly,
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience here. It is certainly out of the ordinary. We have a new team on board so I apologise for the 'shrug' from one of the staff members. We pride ourselves on providing great customer service so I will certainly investigate what has happened. The bathrooms are dated and we are looking at making many improvements to them in the near future.
Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed her a few times over the past decade and the place is in desperate need of a renovation.

The hot water takes a minute to come through (I timed it), the tiles in the shower are chipped and broken, the air con vents are covered in dust and fluff (seemed unhygienic), and the carpet is the ugliest I have ever seen. The furniture is dated and not functional.

I wouldn't mind all of this if it was appropriately priced however they charge a premium. The only reason I stay here is that my business partner likes the place (he can write his own review).

There was a fire evacuation on one of the night I stayed there and this went well to my way of thinking

There is a convention centre attached to the hotel which is OK to hold conferences.

The location is great in that there are restaurants a plenty around the hotel and it is a short walk to the CBD and getting a taxi is always easy as the rank is outside the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Marina, as this makes for a pleasant view. If you get a room on the o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Rydges T, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges Southbank Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for the fantastically constructive review! It is nice to hear the positive along with some negative experiences that you had. The bathrooms are in definite need of a revamp. It is something that is under consideration at the moment. We have great conference facilities comprising of 8 different rooms and our location on the restaurant strip of Palmer Street is fantastic for all guests. We look forward to seeing you again should you be back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here overnight. I've stayed before and the rooms were in serious need of an upgrade, it's pleasing to see the rooms are nice and modern, but unfortunately they didn't do the bathrooms and these are very dated, small, smelly and hardly four star. I found the staff very accommodating (except the male waiter in the restaurant - dined in here, he was very haughty and too abrupt) but unfortunately I cannot award anymore because of the terrible sleep I had. The doors are loud and the constant banging along with party goers in the room next door made it impossible to enjoy the comforts on offer. I would recommend you stay, but only on a weeknight...... And please,fix the bathrooms and reduce your rates. The holiday inn is cheaper and they have balcony and larger new rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MissyKafoops

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your neighbours must have been in a party mood this particular weekend. I hope that you advised reception and I am sure they would have room moved you if that is what was suitable for you. You are right about the bathrooms, they are in definite need of a makeover and renovation. It is under consideration. Once again thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I stayed here whilst on work. Great central location on Palmer Street. But what stood out the most- was breakfast. Good quality brekkie with lots of choices. When I'm back in T'ville I will look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Check the iron in your room before using it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

The RISE breakfast is fantastic and I am happy that you enjoyed it. Certainly gives you multiple options to entice you to stay a while longer in the Southbank Grill! Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Townsville.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

*Good room size, good bed
*Good service
*GREAT location surrounded by great restaurants, attractions
*Good rates
*Next door to grocery store
*taxi rank right outside, along with tourist bus
Can't really pick anything :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Timmy08

Thanks for the great feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed your time staying with us and utilised the local services and restaurants. After all, Palmer Street is a brilliant place to get a bite to eat!