“Old & tired, but staff were very friendly”

The Ville Resort-Casino
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This hotel hasn't changed in the almost 30 years since it opened. The hotel and the rooms are very rundown and out-of-date - not helped by very few guests.

However, the service was very good, the staff were extraordinarily friendly, the breakfast was good and the room was comfortable even if outdated. The location on the water at the marina is picturesque but a bit out of the way for downtown.

With a refurbishment and makeover, it could be a very nice hotel - as long as they get rid of the awful casino just off the lobby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 2,093
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear 2093

It is wonderful to read that our friendly and attentive team members have been a highlight of your stay. However, it is most regretful we have not met all of your expectations.

I am disappointed to read that you have not liked the décor in your room. While our Superior accommodation levels remain classically styled, we have recently completed refurbishments to our Deluxe and Executive accommodation levels. I am pleased, that overall, you have enjoyed a comfortable stay.

Jupiters Townsville enjoys beautiful surroundings with views across to Magnetic Island and within a short walk to the ferry terminal, offering convenience for our guests wishing to take a short ferry ride to the Island or access to the city bus service. We are also within close proximity to The Strand, Townsville’s icon beach promenade and less than 1.5kms to the CBD. It is therefore disappointing that you have not found our location to best suit your preferences.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to review Jupiters and please be assured I have forwarded your comments to the respective department managers for their knowledge.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This hotel is an absolute dump. It is run down, old and in terrible need of renovation. In the middle of the night some locals decided to run up and down the halls bashing on doors to wake people. My guess is drunks from the casino down stairs. The air conditioner doesn't work properly it is either ice cold like the arctic or boiling hot like the desert and nothing in between. The electronic safe in the room randomly beeped all night as it's faulty (started beeping around midnight) rang reception and basically got told tough put up with it. It is so loud it's head of the TV. The TV remote only works from 10cm of the tv which means it's useless to try change channels in bed, the Channels are basic free to air and a few sports channels. No pay tv entertainment channels like fox8.

So disappointed with the Jupiters as it is suppose to be a premium hotel.

I will never stay again

Room Tip: Choose an executive room only and ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Extremeaudiowa

Dear Extremeaudiowa

Your feedback has been taken seriously and I have forwarded your comments to our Hotel Rooms Division Manager for his knowledge. I am terribly disappointed if this has been your experience as it is certainly not indicative of the level of customer service and experience that we are committed to providing.

Please be assured, we are highly committed to responding to any concerns our guests have. In the circumstance of excess noise created in the hallways, our guests can contact our reception team at any time, so that we can respond to ensure the disruption is stopped.
I am disappointed to read that you had difficulties with functionality of some equipment in you room. Please be assured our team are committed to responding to such circumstances as quickly as possible and will also seek to find solutions to ensure the comfort of our guests. It is therefore most regretful that this has not been possible during your stay.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to tell us about your experience, although it is disheartening that your experience has left you disappointed and for this we apologise.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had an upgraded executive room room with fabulous views of the pool and the sea. The room was lovely bathroom was fabulous. Excellent reception service. Thanks for the bubbly to celebrate a special birthday!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 444Lindaj

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It is wonderful to read we have made your birthday celebration all the more special while staying with us. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jupiters Townsville once again.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a stop over to Cairns. It was my partner's birthday trip and we were treated fantastically. When we arrived. The staff were kind and courteous.
Our room was brilliant. We stayed on the 19 floor that overlooked the ocean. Rain shower, amazing bath and one of the most comfy beds I've ever stayed in. If it wasn't for our Cairns commitments, we would have stayed another day. The doona was big enough to cover both of us (we're both tall and quit the doona hogs).
Bar staff were lovely and knowledgable. Hotel was quiet for us at night despite a party being held downstairs, we received none of the residual noise.
As we had to hit the road early, we headed down to breakfast 20 mins before it opened. The chefs and wait staff were super organised and already had most of it ready to go. We were able to chow down (try the fruit - amazing quality) and be out on the road in time. No waiting. And! They have a pancake machine!! Yum!!!
We will be back and gifting some nights for our family up there. So professional and a wonderful start to our holiday. Thank you!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear A_Mosse123

I was delighted to read your review of Jupiters Townsville after your recent visit and I am pleased that you have loved your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the respective department managers so they may share your commendations with our team.

Thank you for taking the time to review so many aspects of your stay. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Townsville and hope that we will also have the opportunity to welcome your family.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed on the 19th floor. Lovely views across to the island and out over Cleveland Bay. Room was a good size and more than adequate for a short stay. Jupiters is walking distance to Magnetic island ferry and the entertainment centre. There is also the Pier restaurant writhing walking distance. Dining options are Kobe, Spin Cafe & Aqua. The buffet at Aqua is plentiful, fresh and there is good variety. For the $40ish each for myself and husband, we probably should have eaten at Kobe? Would have been cheaper for us. This is not a criticism of Aqua, however, one of the other options at Jupiters would have been cheaper. The room was clean and comfortable. Appointed with everything you would expect, flat screen with good reception, free wifi- but it is painfully slow, mini bar, good sized hanging space. Bathroom is small, but functional, nice bath that you can see from the room, unless you use the remote controlled blind- nice touch. Air con was a little cool on arrival, but you can control the temp, 24 is comfortable. Staff are very friendly, a little NQ casual, but that's part of the charm. Valet parking is available for $15, but there is also parking on site for free. It was the little things that made this nice for us- bottle of champs on arrival with a personalised, signed card from management, staff in the bars and restaurant using our names. All in all a lovely stay. Thanks folks.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Andersonclan

Thank you for taking the time to review Jupiters Townsville. It is pleasing to read that the variety of restaurants, our location and the attentive service from our team have been highlights of your stay. Our Executive accommodation levels certainly offer beautiful views of either Magnetic Island or Townsville’s city scape in a luxurious setting and I am delighted that it has provided all the comforts that you were expecting.

I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next visit to Townsville.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My partner and 5 year old stayed here last Saturday night. We are due to have our second baby in a few weeks and my partner works away a lot so we were looking forward to a mini break. My daughter and I checked in and that was all okay, friendly and helpful. The room was really nice - we stayed in an executive room facing the ocean, the bath was magical. The problem with our stay and why we wouldn't return is they had a function on that evening around the pool and the noise was really quite ridiculous. I kept thinking they'll turn the music down soon 10pm past, 11pm past and finally at midnight it was turned off and we could sleep. It was not at all the relaxing, comfortable night we had imagined and for $200 it really is bad service. I would have preferred to pay less and have stayed on the other side of the hotel and perhaps had some sound blocked or have been notified on booking and we could have stayed somewhere else. Breakfast in the morning was really good but $75 for the 3 of us is really pricey and after the night before we were a little over it and really more tired then when we arrived. My partner I think was the most disappointed because he really wanted our last break together to be relaxing and it really just wasn't. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Caseyxo

Dear Casey

Congratulations firstly on the expected arrival of a new addition to your family.

I was disappointed that you had not enjoyed your stay and that we have not met your expectations on this occasion, for this we apologise.

As a popular entertainment and events destination in Townsville, Jupiters regularly hosts private functions as you have mentioned. I would like to assure you we are very mindful of the comfort of our Hotel guests and our Reception team are always willing to assist where possible. Our Duty Manager is also available 24 hours per day to assist with any concerns or enquires from our guests. It is most regretful if you were not aware of this service.

Casey, should you chose to return to Jupiters Townsville, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly reception team as inform them of your preferences as we will be happy to assist were possible.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Couldn't really pick any faults with the service and comfort of Jupiters where I stayed for two nights. The Hotel is situated just under 2 kilometers from the city centre, and close to the departure point for the ferries to Magnetic Island. Fabulous views from nearly all of their very spacious rooms, some facing the ocean and magnetic island on one side, and the marina, city and mountains on the other. The staff were all very friendly and willing to help. Three restaurants and the food was fabulous. Good very comfortable bedding and large functional bathrooms. I was able to snatch a very reasonable price for my stay which made it great value for money in my case. They have a fabulous swimming pool and outdoor seating where you can look over a large lawn area to Magnetic Island and a good gym.

Room Tip: Be aware there are no floors 4 to 10. Floors 1 to 3 are reception, casino, ballroom and restaurant...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear ShepLapstone

Thank you for your fabulous review of Jupiters Townsville. It is fantastic to read that you have enjoyed your stay and appreciated the friendly and helpful service provided by our team.

I agree our location offers many benefits, including picturesque views and is only a short stroll to the Ferry terminal. Perfect for anyone wishing to explore Magnetic Island.

I hope you had time to work out in the gym, relax in the sauna or take a dip in the pool during your visit. I also think the pool is amazing, perfect to cool down in the summer weather or lay back in a deck chair and enjoy the sea breeze.

I have also taken the opportunity to forwarded your compliments on to restaurant managers so they can share your comments with their teams. I am sure it will be appreciated.

Should you return to Townsville and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jupiters.