“Cheap room for Best View!”

The Ville Resort-Casino
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
Mackay, Australia
“Cheap room for Best View!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked one of their Executive Rooms, which is the best of their studio type rooms (before you move into the suite rooms). We were very lucky in that our room was located on the top floor and had an ocean view.

The room was very comfortable, with a large bed and nice furnishings. We particularly liked the large bath and rain shower in the bathroom. If we were being picky, the toilet was a little close to the wall which made going to the toilet a bit of a hassle (couldn’t access the paper all that easily!). Still, hardly worth mentioning and certainly didn’t detract from the overall experience.

The food we found to be a little overpriced in the different resaurants that we went to, but as they are separate businesses from the hotel itself, we can’t exactly have a negative attitude towards the hotel.

And of course, the casino was fun if a little small. We had been hoping to play some poker, but only the roulette and blackjack tables were running unfortunately.

All in all, a fun couple of days and the accommodation at Jupiters was certainly very good and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Bite the bullet and get the exectutive rooms. But I'd suggest a marina view not ocean!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Catherine_8_1989

It is very pleasing to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Jupiters Townsville. We are delighted that you have relaxed in the comfort and luxury of your Executive room. The Marina view certainly offers a beautiful cityscape, magnificently lit up in the evening; or the Ocean view provides a tranquil setting with views to Magnetic Island.

We are delighted that you have had a number of experiences while staying with us, including dining in the restaurants and visiting our Casino. It is unfortunate that you have not enjoyed all aspects of these experiences but it is pleasing that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Jennifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Indonesian first
Malanda, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Upon check in I was told they had given me a free upgrade to an ocean view room, I thought that was great. However the room was very basic, the air conditioning was old style with minimum functions, one bed had stains on the runner, there was dust on the bin in the bathroom, the towel had black hairs on it and the shower had only two settings, boiling hot or freezing cold. Terrible considering I paid nearly $300 a night. Also the rooms are not sound proof at all so the first night I got woken up by the music from the wedding reception outside by the pool as well as being able to hear loud and clear the room next doors tv.
As for the Aqua restaurant, I had the buffet dinner there on the first night. They only have 2 seating times so you cannot choose when you want to eat it's either 5.30pm or 7.45pm, disappointing considering it's a buffet and shouldn't be that big of deal to eat when you want to. The food was mediocre considering it cost about $43, I was dinning alone so got put in the corner with a bunch of kids who weren't even seated with their parents??? The staff however were pleasant enough.
I again went to the Aqua restaurant for the buffet breakfast. Again 3 seating times so I chose 8.30am. The food was stone cold, the muffins were stale and the pancakes were stiff and stale, I almost needed a steak knife to cut through both. Not great considering it cost $30.
All in all I would never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim C
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Kim C

I am very disheartened to read your experience, as I am confident that the complimentary upgrade was offered in good sentiment. It is therefore most regretful that on this occasion you have been dissatisfied by your experience.

Kim, as your upgrade was from the Marina view to an Ocean view, a popular preference with many of our guests, your Superior accommodation type was unchanged from your original booking details. It is very disappointing that you have been dissatisfied with the overall amenities in your room and unfortunate that these concerns may not have been brought to our attention during your stay.

It is extremely disappointing that you have not enjoyed either of your dining experiences in Aqua. We often receive such positive responses to the delicious variety of fresh menu selections, it is therefore disappointing that this has not been your experience. Please be assured that our helpful wait staff are always available to assist if our guests have any concerns.

I am saddened that you do not wish to return and I have forwarded your feedback to the respective department managers for their knowledge.

Queensland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed over a weekend where the hotel was hosting a wedding reception in a marquee on the lawn out by the pool. It shouldn't have been a problem for someone like me up more than 15 storeys but with the reception came the excessive, booming, bass heavy DJ music that, despite my position, left me feeling like my room was 2 doors down from a nightclub. I couldn't sleep at 10.30pm due to the thumping bass and music, so I tried to watch some tv. I turned the tv on, and couldn't hear it at a reasonable volume due to the music either. By 11.30pm, not being able to sleep, or hear the tv, I rang reception to see if they could do something about it. The level was honestly ridiculous. I spoke to a Jupiters employee in reception who couldn't have been more ambivalent, and said there was nothing he could do as the wedding reception 'was allowed' to play their music until midnight. When I suggested they might be able to play music, but surely not at an excessive level that prevents guests from sleeping or being able to hear the tv in their own room - all he could offer was that if the music continued after midnight, he would go out and ask them to turn it off. Not good enough, sorry. The noise did stop after midnight but as a result I got hardly any sleep as I had a very early start the next day. I thought it was very poor form and showed skewed priorities, especially as they were charging top dollar for the accommodation. It was also a shame because the room was well appointed and the bed was actually really comfortable - I just didn't get to enjoy a decent night's sleep in it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LWrecker
Dear LWrecker

I would like to begin with assuring you that all feedback received from our guests is taken very seriously.

As a popular destination for a range of weekend events, including private functions, we are committed to ensuring the comfort of all of our hotel guests. In turn, we have strict noise control measures in place, including lowing volumes of the music base levels from 11pm and all music turned off at 12am.

Please be assured, your original concerns were logged with our Hotel team on Saturday night. Your comments have been reviewed and considered by our Director Food & Beverage, who oversees our events and banquets functions, and our Hotel Rooms Division Manager.

It is disappointing that you feel that our priorities are skewed given the existing controls that we have in place, in addition to our Reception staff’s willingnesses to action your concerns if the music extended past the defined time period.

However, I am pleased that you have appreciated the quality of your accommodation and that you have considered it be comfortable and well appointed. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jupiters Townsville.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed in a deluxe room overlooking the water and it really was a lovely view. The bed was a king size and it was amazing! The only let downs were the bathroom and the airconditioning. The airconditioning settings are very basic and low was still freezing and blowing a gale. The bath tub is very skinny and the shower head wasn't good at all and there was no fan for when it got steamy. However the water temp was wonderful.

I cannot fail a single staff member. Every single person we dealt with wether it was reception, concierge or security, were all absolutely amazing which makes me think it must be a really nice place to work.

I was a little dissapointed with price. It cost us $570 for a two night stay. This is not a $300 a night room. I understand it was because there was an event on but it was way too pricey and next time there is an event I will steer clear for that reason alone.

The Aqua buffet breakfast was $30/head but totally worth it! There was so much food it was insane. I wanted to try everything! Best buffet I've ever been to. I will be returning :)

Room Tip: It says you're on level 12 but it's really level 1 - those numbers were quite decieving.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Carly M

Thank you for your kind words in reference to our fantastic staff, it is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests that have appreciated the friendly and professional service provided across the property.

As you may be aware, high peak periods are often reflected in the price and availability of rooms at all hotels. It is regretful that you have not felt this stay offered you value for money.

For many guests, choosing to stay at Jupiters provides a mix of experiences; accommodation, restaurant and café dining, the perfect place to relax poolside, live entertainment featured regularly and of course, Townsville’s only Casino; offering our guests the whole package - all wrapped up at one location.

Please be assured that I have also forwarded your comments reflecting your positive experience in Aqua. We often receive numerous compliments to our Chefs for the delicious breakfast and dinner buffet menu; it is fantastic to read that you have deemed Aqua to be the best buffet you have dined at! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Jupiters is a class hotel and all rooms we have sayed in have had a lovely view. The disability friendly room we required for my wife's wheelchair was the best we have come across with good rails and full shower and toilet requirements. Both restaurants were good and Kobe's steaks great. Good value for the accommodation and friendly service. Car parking is not under cover. In all an enjoyalle stay.

Room Tip: Park your own vehivle as valet parking is not under cover.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Merv C

I am always delighted to read that our guests have enjoyed many aspects of their stay at Jupiters Townsville. It is extremely pleasing to know that the facilities provided have ensured a comfortable stay for both of you.

Our friendly and attentive team are committed to providing the highest standards of service to ensure you enjoy each and every visit. Please be assured that I will forward your complimentary comments to the respective department managers for their knowledge.

Thank you for taking the time to review Jupiters and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again.

Essendon North, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently with family, four rooms in total (normally we would get an apartment but this holiday grew). Each had a different styled room. Ours being the least refurbished. The rooms are large with king size bed in ours, bathroom needed an update, a new toilet seat would have been enough. Cleaners did a reasonable job, wouldn't take tips that I left for them.
My mother had a double room with a glass window between shower and bedroom, very creepy even with the blind.
Restaurants, dined in all. Kobe was lovely and as expected. Aqua was poor, not a large variety of food on offer. Casino cafe was convenient and reasonably priced and appropriate food options.
Wifi - poor, kept asking for me to confirm use. Phone coverage - poor (not their fault but something to note).
Pool area was nice, clean but spa was cold.
99.9% of staff were amazing, one black jack dealer was atrocious and should not be in this industry.
Not enough seating available in casino unless you were at a pokie.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
JenniferSheppard, Customer Engagement Coordinator at The Ville Resort-Casino, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Frangipani44

We are delighted that you have chosen Jupiters Townsville for your recent family holiday. It is disappointing that we have not met all of your expectations regarding the different room types and your dining experience in Aqua. However, we are very pleased to know that you have noted the service provided by our friendly and attentive team as amazing.

I want to assure you that all of your comments have forwarded to the respective department managers for their review and consideration.

Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were blessed with perfect weather on our recent four night stay at Jupiters Townsville. Upgraded to a refurbished room with gorgeous views across to Magnetic Island. Kids absolutely loved the pool and hubby and I loved the pool bar!! Delicious buffet breakfast - but try and get this in your room rate or go when kids eat free if you're travelling as a family. Housekeeping was excellent with the room attended to promptly each day. Nice and close to The Strand too - an easy walk, no need to take your car even! We look forward to returning to Jupiters again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear lulu_on_holidays

Thank you for your review of Jupiters Townsville, we are especially delighted to know that you have enjoyed your Easter break with us. It certainly sounds like the perfect long weekend; good weather, relaxation by the pool, delicious dining treats, exceptional service and perfectly located near Townville’s popular beachfront promenade. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.