“Great Hotel, reasonably priced”

Aquarius on the Beach
Portage MI USA
“Great Hotel, reasonably priced”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Stayed 8 nights, beautiful ocean view from large balcony, room has all amenities including microwave, free parking.

Room Tip: Ask for non serviced room, way cheaper.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Aquarius on the beach has got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed there for several weeks in March and was very dissapointed with the hotel. The reasons for this are mainly due to service. I will get the good out of the way first, and that is the location. This is all that the hotel has going. Right in the middle of the strand is great and unfortunately this leads to its downsfall also as it has a monolopy of the strand being the only hotel and because of this they seem to think that they can get away with anything, and unfortunately they can. While I was there one of the elevators wasn't working and for a hotel with 14 floors this is terrbile. Most days we spent 5 minutes waiting for the elevator and at one point I counted 14 people standing in the lobby waiting for the elevator. UNACCEPTABLE!. They should have had discount rates during this period and forewarned people. My secong biggest gripe is the internet. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Continual dropouts and speeds of a third world country. You would think that a hotel which sells its rooms for $300 000 to private investors, and is continually booked out could afford a decent internet connection. How do you conduct business operating with this connection? Pathetic. My third gripe is the service. I found most of the receptionists there minus a couple of very lovely girls, absolutely rude. This is a hotel being run here and you are expected to be polite and hospitable to PAYING CUSTOMERS.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I am writing this on my I phone, looking at holes in the ceiling on the 11th floor Hoizon Rooms! Just had a shower in a mouldy shower that doesn't look like it's been cleaned in years, the rowell rail is hanging off and there are gaps between the wall and ceiling! We booked for 2 adults and a child over the net, we arrive to find one bed, and the couch is a sofa bed, I can reach out and touch her bed!! Not sure who is sharing the towel as they have only supplied 2 and if it gets cold we are all stuffed as there is only 1 blanket! This place is appalling, decrepit, run down and out dated. No wonder they take your money from your credit card prior to arrival, that way you have to stat once you inspect the rooms!! Go elsewhere!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I originally planned to stay here for one night as I was on my way to Cairns. Its a lovely hotel, the staff are great and the location superb, also I got a room for $99! The room was immaculate with great views of the beach, comfy bed and a handy kitchenette. I got stuck because of the flooding and the staff kindly let me have 2 more nights at the special rate. After 2 nights the roads opened again so they let me cancel the 3rd night at no extra charge after I explained what had happened. I would like to thank the staff for being so helpful and kind, it took all the stress out of the situation. I will always stay here in future when I am in Townsville - just brilliant!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MsBetty66
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I have stayed at the Aquarius for 1 week every month since May 2009 and absolutely love this hotel. I usually stay in room 201 (see photos attached) which is very comfortable and includes a full size fridge (very handy). Every room at the Aquarius features a fabulous view of the coral sea and of Magnetic Island, from your own balcony.

The location of the Aquarius is superb. Right opposite the water and walking distance from the best steak in town at the Seaview Hotel; the best ice cream in town at Juliette's and other eateries such as The Coffee Club, Eagle Boys, a great Thai place - Bountiful Thai and The Noodle Box. There is also a curry place next door to The Noodle Box but I have been told it is a bit dodgy. This said there are lots of places to choose from for meals and if you want to splurge then the Watermark Restaurant is right next door to Aquarius.

By far the most valuable asset of the Aquarius Hotel is it's staff. The ladies at reception do a great job and nothing is too much trouble for them. Manager Tony is a personable chap who is also very easy to deal with. The cleaning staff are also very pleasant and all do a fabulous job.

Apartments in this hotel are individually owned therefore the setup and decor of each room does varies. I have staying in apartments at Aquarius that have no bath in the bathroom but just a huge shower. And not all rooms have a large fridge, instead most seem to just have a bar fridge. All seem to have a stereo, DVD, flat screen TV, microwave and of course Austar (pay TV). There is a patio table and chairs on each balcony and a table and chairs inside as well as a sofa. Very comfortable. The "end" apartments are in my opinion a bit more spacious as the kitchen area (sink, fridge, cutlery & crockery drawers) are not opposite the bed but in an area of their own as you walk through the door.

The upper floors offer the best and uninterrupted views of the sea, Magnetic Island to the left and the Townsville Casino lights to the right. From the lower floors the view has a walkway in the foreground. The Strand is very popular with locals and you see people walking and roller blading morning and afternoon, enjoying the cool sea breezes.

Noise has only ever once been an issue once as there is a hotel next door that has a huge TV screen and outdoor area frequented by many locals for a drink after work or when starting their Saturday night. This one time was when the V8 Supercars were in town and the hotel had a Jim Beam promotion on. The music came right there the Aquarius even though I had the balcony doors closed and the air conditioner on. However this was really a minor inconvenience considering the revenue that the V8 circus brings to Townsville and anyway the noise had ceased totally by 9pm. The easy fix would be to merely go next door and join in the fun.

All in all this is a great place to stay if visiting Townsville. The only real drawbacks are that off street parking is very limited and is not under cover and that if you need to visit the CBD it is a bit of a walk. I highly recommend the Aquarius Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank DragonFan
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I seem to be in Townsville at least once a month, if not more. And the Aquarius on the Beach is the place to stay. Ok it does not have an in room spa, a full kitchen, no room services (apart from breakfast), no undercover car parking,….but you know….I don’t care! It has the most stunning views of the Beach from the Port to the northern beaches and across to Magnetic Island. The sunrises are worth getting out of the bed at least once during your stay.

The room was modern, a great bar fridge that holds plenty of your food, drinks etc., Austar TV, a wonderful kitchenette, full lift service, a lovely bed with plenty of great relaxing pillows, and any floor from the 7th upwards the ocean sounds make it so peaceful to sleep.
I shouldn’t write a too good review I may not be able to get a booking when I need to stay. But do yourself a favour and stay at this hotel. You too will be back again and again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bevfnq
Rockhampton
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We stayed here for the first part of our stay in Townsville. It is right on the strand, within walking distance to heaps of restaurants, and right across the road from the beach. We went and saw the footy when we stayed here, so it was great coz the bus stopped right out the front of the motel.
We stayed in what was meant to be an 'Executive Deluxe' room. The room itself was great. Possibly newly renovated, but quite small. The TV was a good size, and there was a nice little kitchenette. The bathroom also looked new. Some of the furniture however was worn.
There was a little balcony. There was only one chair at the table. The only view we had was overlooking the roof of the motel, the road, and the trees blocking the beach. But we could hear the water. That is my biggest gripe about this place. We spent a lot of money, thinking we would get a nice view, only to look at the road. Bit sad.
The bed was comfy. We didn't hear a lot of noise, so it was nice and relaxing.
The service was okay. We had to check in late, so the key was left in a secure, accessible location. We didn't have a lot to do with reception, but on the morning we left, they called the maid to check the room before letting us leave. Found this a little odd. We also had to pay a deposit despite having fully paid for the room before staying there. Wasn't aware of these practices.
Anyway, it was pretty good, but I don't think I'll go for an 'executive' room next time I stay. Maybe if I go for something cheaper, we will end up on a better level.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple