“Location is the only benefit”

Aquarius on the Beach
Adelaide, Australia
“Location is the only benefit”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I chose this hotel because I stayed there as a young guy many years ago. The rooms are small but clean despite a strange chemical smell on the first night. There is a kitchenette with microwave and fridge but it is all pretty basic. The lifts and hallway is very hot. It is right on the Strand with shops and eateries nearby. The staff are helpful but not over the top. There are lots of signs saying why you will be kicked out so they have had their problems. This was once 'the place' to stay but is now a budget alternative.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. The higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
Yandina, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The view from our balcony was spectacular. They only have motel type accommodation but you do have a fridge and microwave. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was serviced each day.
location was great. Beautifulwalk along the strand and every thing appeared to be with in a $10 taxi ride if you were too hot to walk. On the down side the cooridors did smell stale and the lift was very hot but for the price I found it great value

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor in the middle of the complex and we had no complaints. Apparently the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We arrived for a pre-paid four night stay and I couldn't believe my eyes. Corridors grubby with soiled carpets. Room terrible and shabby. All old marked furnishings and dirty. As we arrived late we stayed the one night and I looked up for somewhere else to stay and we booked into The Oaks (absolutely fabulous). When we left in the morning the receptionist didnt bat an eyelid as I am sure she was used to people not staying. Heard afterwards that some rooms were privately owned. Visitors be aware - this is most certainly a place you would not want to stay in

Room Tip: Go to the Oaks Gateway
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynne K
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

the room was great the views excellant and the staff friendly we found the room clean and the shower was big and roomy good pressure in the shower, the room comes with a microwave and small kitchen so was good if you dont want to eat out but with plenty of options on the strand and all within comfortable pleasant walk along the beach we got the room at a special rate so i dont think i would have paid the asking price of $350 per night so look for special deals but all up would recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2013
Bowen
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my family and found the room to be nice and clean and very well presented. My parents stayed in the room next door and their room was just as good.

The view was amazing. I have lived in north qld for a number of years and will never get sick of our beautiful waters.

The rooms were a little pokey, but very good value. I stay in Townsville about once a fortnight and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was my first time here but my husband had stayed before and liked it. I was bitterly disappointed when I opened the door to our room. It was nothing like the pictures I'd seen on their website nor like any of the ones my husband had stayed in. It was our luck to get a room that must not have been renovated. It was a bit on the small side. The bath was chipped and rusty. The toilet didn't flush properly. The hallway was smelly and the lift was always hot and smelly.
The only plus side was the view.
I had paid the extra money to get a deluxe room but it would appear most rooms had uninterrupted views of the strand and magnetic island anyway.
Didn't stay here on our return trip like we thought we would.

Room Tip: Maybe try ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

room was dirty and smelled horrible. views were nice tho decided to stay somewhere else on second night because of cleanliness.Needs a facelift badly. Counter staff were friendly and location was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple