“A taste of traditional Townsville.”
Review of Coral Lodge

Coral Lodge
Coral Lodge
Ranked #11 of 17 Townsville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2013

One of the joys of travel is to experience different cultures and if you want a taste of traditional Townsville, this is the place. I stayed two nights with my son (15). The building is 80 plus years old and has out-dated decor, but that is its charm. It is clean and the rooms are quiet, cosy, have a fan, TV and fridge. The kitchen is well-appointed and there are tables inside, though we ate breakfast in the pleasant courtyard. The shared bathrooms are of an older style, but everything is well-maintained and clean. John, the owner is easy-going and very helpful, happily storing luggage and calling a taxi for us. Shops and a supermarket are only a couple of minutes walk and The Strand, while further, is within easy reach. In short Coral Lodge is inexpensive, welcoming and had everything we needed. If you need 5 star accommodation go elsewhere (and pay a lot more). Personally I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I lived on Magnetic Island for 5 years and my husband worked away. We have often stayed at Coral Lodge when his arrival home / flight out didn't fit in with the ferry schedule to Maggie. I love the home away from home atmosphere of the Coral Lodge, and it's so convenient to the CBD, the Strand, and the Palmer Street restaurant strip, and at a very affordable rate. If you're planning a late night out, ask for a room next to one of the entrance doors to avoid disturbing other guests when you get in. The kitchen is well-appointed and the BBQ area and surrounding gardens are lovely on a summer evening. John and Di are wonderful hosts, making the Coral Lodge my preference for accommodation in Townsville every time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The Coral Lodge is in a great position away from noisy bars in a residential area about 10-15 mins walk from the main streets. John the owner picked me up from the railway station which was very helpful, especially as it was a few km out of town and not where my guide book said in the middle of town. I was a single traveller but I was given a double room which was very comfortable, there was a tv and a fridge in the room. Washing facilities were separate but fine. The kitchen facility looked ok but I did not use them. The only problem I had with the place was when I left my luggage in the main office in the morning the day I checked out, I went back at a pre determined time to collect my bag only to find the office locked. This was a big problem as I had to catch a twice weekly train within 45 mins. So make sure this does not happen to you !!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Very nice pension, close to the centre.
Nice and clean rooms though very small, contain a double bed and a single one.
Proprietary is friendly and helpful.
I'd recommend to stay here, a nice hotel at a very good price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Coral Lodge, the rooms are clean, and serviced daily, the owner John Donovan is a truly excellent host. Located in a very quiet part of town yet only a few minutes walk to the centre of the City. I loved the cosy friendly atmosphere and the community kitchen has every facility you could ever require, along with a dining room and an outside eating area as well.The rooms have TV, a Fridge and air conditioning.The Coral Lodge is excellent value for those on a budget and I certainly recommend this spot to anyone who is looking at real value for money.

Room Tip: I believe that the lodge also has self contained units. I did not see them but when I spoke to anoth...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Just stayed the one night but Coral Lodge did what it said on the tin. A pleasant sleep , good light breakfast and wifi included in the reasonable price for a change.It was just a travelling stop over but Townsville was an interesting suprise . Would recommend to anyone .

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The Coral Lodge is a lovely place to stay. John is a great host and the rooms are very clean and with TV, air conditioning and a fridge good eqipped.

I can recommend this accomodation!

• Stayed: December 2011