“Great walks and Turtle tour well worth visit.”

Fitzroy Island National Park
Fitzroy Island Day Trip from Cairns
Darwin, Australia
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Great walks and Turtle tour well worth visit.”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We walked to Nudey Beach (nude in name only). All walks are for moderately fit walkers so make sure you wear good walking shoes. The walk to the lighthouse and summit is very steep along an old road but well worth the effort. Take water, sunscreen, insect repellent and a camera. No toilets on walk so use before leaving. We visited the Cairns Turtle rescue centre. Our guide Jen was very informative and very enthusiastic about the project. Well worth the $5.50 donation admission price.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Beautiful Spot!”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Loved the 3 walks and were glad we took our hiking sticks as the steep walk up to the lighthouse was a challenge for us (both 70+) especially in the wind and rain. Plenty of interesting bird life and vegetation plus the WW11 relics on the way.

Cairns Region, Australia
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Isolation Peace And Tranquility”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Fitzroy island is 45 minutes by boat from Cairns. It is actually very beautiful and it baffles me that some people say there is not a lot to do on the island. This is really not the case. But what else do you expect it is a national park. I would go there for some peace and quiet and for a relaxing day out. And if you are into bush walking then there is the Lighthouse track and Summit walk that you can explore with fantastic views to the Barrier reef or maybe explore the not so adventurous Secret Garden and of course the iconic Nudeys beach. There is also diving, snorkelling, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding or if you want then maybe just while away the hours with a good book around the scenic Foxy's bar, the cafe and maybe the retail shop. Otherwise go for a swim in the crystal clear water anywhere you want on the island but my personal preference is Nudeys beach. Simply stunning with it's beautiful white sand and clear blue water. Anyway I had such an adventurous and relaxing day I have some wonderful photos to prove it. Now that is quite a day full if you ask me.

However do stay overnight on the island if you want. The Fitzroy Island resort is fantastic and it has it's own swimming pool although I'd rather be on the beach. The island does cater for everyone including backpackers, campers, boats and the up market clients so check it out for yourself. I prefer the peace, tranquility and relaxing atmosphere on the island but if you like the hustle and bustle than this is not the place. Sunlover cruises has a stop over on the island everyday on the way to the Great Barrier reef if you are thinking of visiting in the future. So thank you Sunlover Reef Cruises for the famil. Much appreciated.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the island and will definitely be back.

1 Thank Balilje
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Day Out With Friends or Family”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing day out and a boat ride to the island then go to Fitzroy and lay on the beach to relaxed or walk around and explore the island. You can spend the night in the resort or bring a tent and camp for the night.

Visited January 2013
Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Check the visibility before you go!”
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

I went to Fitroy for the day to do some snorkelling. Locals get a discount on the Raging Thunder boat. Staff on the boat were friendly. We didn't want to book any of the trips on the island as they were very overpriced. We took our own snorkelling gear and hired stinger suits from the resort for $10 each. It was a beautiful day and not too choppy, but the visibility was pretty bad. The reef is unfortunately very disappointing, a few little specks of colour here a there. I saw a couple of fish and the other person in my group saw a turtle. It was so crowded with people snorkelling that I got bashed in the face with someone else's fins! We walked around to Nudie Beach, where no one was nude. It wasn't safe to swim there as the currents are strong. We also began the walk up to the lighthouse. It was nice to get away from the crowds. It is very, very steep. We almost got to the top but had to turn back or miss the boat home, so allow plenty of time. Place where day visitors can have lunch is OK. staff friendly, but it's all a bit run down. If its your only option to get out to the reef because of limited time then it would be worth a trip if you check the visibility first, otherwise it would be better to get out to the outer reef.

Visited April 2013