“Pretty good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fraser Island
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed at Kingfisher on 3 Night whale watching package and found this to be good value for money. I agree with most other comments that the decor in the rooms is dated and could do with some modernising. I also agree with a previous persons comment that the staff were condescending when answering a question. I found a guy at the desk Hayden to be particularly condescending when I told him that we had been booked on the wrong ferry back - to which he responded it can't be wrong because it's the default ferry time. How was I to know that? We also sat around waiting to be taken down to the ferry and had to ask 4 different people when we would be picked up. We went at the back end of the school holidays and found all the screaming kids pretty annoying, this is a huge resort with 3 pools, surely they could designate one as adults only.
Now for the positives, considering this is an Eco resort I felt it fitted in with the environment very well. There were loads of daily activities walks etc and we did the beauty spots tour which was really good. The Sand Bar at the wharf was great and the prawns and antipasto plates are good value. The Seabel restuarant was also very nice with a good wine list. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller1236987
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Traveller1236987,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you found Hayden condescending in his response to your question and have personally counselled him in regards to expectations when responding to guest enquiries, please except my personal apologies for this less than acceptable interaction.

I note your comments in regards to the number of children at the resort, as mentioned in previous responses to other guests, Kingfisher prides itself in being able to offer unique services and experiences to both family’s and couples when they visit the resort, you are correct in saying there are a number of pools at the resort however we feel that to best cater to all guests they are free to use all of the pools without segregating any guests to one particular area.

Thank you for your very positive feedback about our Beauty spots Tour and offerings at the Jetty Hut, I have passed on your feedback to the team in those outlets.

It is also pleasing to see that you would visit us again if you travels bring you this way, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I had arranged a trip to Fraser as a suprise present for my partner (3 nights camping + 3 nights resort stay). To put it in a nutshell during our three days camping prior to arriving at Kingfisher Bay we had experienced a few "Hiccups" and were well and truly ready to relax. It was the night before my birthday when we were due to arrive and unknowingly to me my partner had contacted the resort and asked if they were able to organise something special for our arrival... we arrived to champagne on ice and a lovely array of "Yummies". Following this we found their had been a slight mix up with our resort booking when I brought this to the attention of the resort manager Leanne it was dealt with quickly and efficiently on what felt like a personalised basis. The rest of our trip continued along this way. The resort features were exactly as we had expected (perfect) and the staff day through night were all exceptionally helpful and accommodating beyond their required duties. We would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone and have spoken nothing but raving reviews since our departure, A special thanks to Leanne, Paul, Hayden, Chris and all of the team at Kingfisher for making sure our Fraser Island trip on a fantastic note! We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Tyler H,

Thank you for such a fantastic review regarding your stay at Kingfisher Bay Resort.

I have noted your comments in regards to the staff who made your stay memorable and have thanked them individually on your behalf.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Northampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

I visited this hotel with an elderly Uncle and Auntie in October12. I don't think that I have ever been so disappointed in my life with an hotel. We stayed in one of the villas which were some distance from reception and when we arrived we were dropped off at foot of climb up to villa, no lights and no help or instruction on how to use the villa......disgraceful! The only way that my relatives could get around due to hilly nature of the place, was top await for the bus every hour and that included going to breakfast. We only stayed for two nights, thank God and specially that the hotel had intended only providing towels every three days; yes that is correct! Most of the staff seemed to be new and when we spoke to them they admitted that most had left to find better jobs, how surprising! This is no more than an average 3* hotel, shame because it has fabulous surroundings

Room Tip: Stay in main hotel and keep your stay to minimum
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thaidup
Dear Thaidup,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback on your stay at Kingfisher Bay resort.

I am disappointed to see that you didn’t enjoy your stay at the resort and apologise for your arrival that you were not provided with assistance on how your villa worked.

You are correct in saying that we do provide a shuttle service around the resort which I see you did take advantage off. I have liaised with my Rooms Division Manager and Front office manager in to why you were not offered a room move to a hotel room during you stay, this is an action we will look at in the future for our elderly guests if they experience access difficulties during their stay.

In regards to the room servicing we feel that a refresh after three days is in line with our Eco resort programme, this servicing initiative normally receives positive feedback from our in house guests.

I note your personal opinion in regards to staff comments about their employment.

We wish you well in your future travels.
Nelson Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed here for a week last month & thoughroughly enjoyed our stay! We had a 2 bdrm Villa set back in the surrounding bushland. The setting was very peaceful & quite lovely. We had a spa on the deck, as per my request when I made the booking, which was just delightful to return to after a long day exploring the island itself. The Villa was great, very clean & tidy. The TV had a few Austar channels, the kitchen was fully equiped with an oven, mircrowave, gas hot plates, plates, cups, cutlery, ect., you didn't need to bring anything other than food. There was a full laundry as well, complete with washing machine, dryer, iron, ironing board, etc. The toilet was seperate from the bathroom, which for me was a big plus. The shower itself was massive, and could easily fit 3 people commfortably. The shower pressure was amazing, just another thing I rate on :) The bathroom was also fitted out with Shampoo, Conditioner, Hand Wash & Moisteriser dispensers which was handy. As we spent most of our time exploring the island, we only ate out once which was at the Sand Bar. It was nice & well priced, also very comfortable & relaxed, we played pool while waiting for our dinner! We did wander around the resort complex to check it all one day & found there to be numerous pools / spas, nice walkways leading out onto the beach, nice history throughout with pictures & other artifacts all through the reception area. All in all, we had a great stay here & would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: *Go all out & upgrade to get a spa on your Villa deck, definately worth it after a long day, plu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Spax_11

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about your recent stay at Kingfisher Bay.

I have passed on you feedback to the Hotel team and note your comment about recommending us to future guests looking to travel to Kingfisher Bay resort.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kingfisher bay Resort.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

Our recent stay on Fraser Island at Kingfisher was fine. We unfortunately didn't have great weather but the two tours we did through Kingfisher (Whale watching and Beauty Spots) were fantastic anyway. We went during school holidays, which was a mistake because the pool was full of screaming kids. Great for the kids but not quite what we had imagined. Still, no big deal. The Seabelle restaurant food is absolutely fantastic!! Inventive and very tasty. The service at the restaurant was really slow, however, as there were a maximum of 3 staff each night. There were a few examples of poor customer service generally, long waits, unattended bars and patronising responses to enquiries. By far the most disappointing was the room, though. It wasn't dirty or small or even badly equipped, it was just really dated and distinctly ordinary. Similarly, the architecture of the atrium is stunning but the carpet and paint job look cheap. I suppose that sums up Kingfisher a bit for us, it had LOTS of redeeming features but there were also LOTS of reasons why it felt more like a 3-Star hotel than a 4. A wasted opportunity to have a hotel on Fraser that reflects the amazing island. Which is fine, but it's NOT cheap!!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickM10
Dear NickM10,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to you recent stay.

If you will allow me to respond to your comments as you have noted them.

Thank you for your positive comments in regards to the tours that you attended, I have passed these onto our tours manager.

In regards to school holidays, not unusually, the resort does get a large amount of families staying and enjoying the resort and we pride ourselves on being able to cater for both families and couples accordingly.

I not your comments in regards to the Carpet in the main lower lobby, unfortunately your appear to have stayed with us just before we refurbished the carpet, as of the end of September the carpet throughout the main lower lobby and both restaurants has been replaced which has added a new and very appealing contrasts to our natural wood atrium.

As you have stated the rooms are very functional and I have passed on your positive comments in regards to the cleanliness to our Housekeeping team.

In regards to the service you received in the restaurants please accept my apologies for the delays that you may have experienced, I have passed on your feedback regarding your positive dining experience in seabelle to both the restaurant and Kitchen team.

We do hope we can welcome you back to kingfisher bay resort sometime in the future, we wish you safe travels.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We got a hotel room for half price through a deal so we gave it a go. The drinks were overpriced. $12 a premixed spirit at the jetty & $8 for a drink at the bar.
The room was spacious with our own balcony. It's a pity we couldn't see the water just the artificial lake.
Paying more for a better room with a kitchen would be worthwhile.
Meals at the restaurant were nice but pricy. The meals at the bistro were pricy but left a lot to be desired.
Watching the sunset over the mainland was the highlight of the trip.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Steven B
Dear Steven B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay.

I note your comment in regards to drink pricing at the resort my apologies if you found the drinks a little more expensive that you are used to, on review of our prices we have found them comparable to other island resorts in Qld.

In regards to the water views we have both Sea View and lake views both of which allow lovely natural viewing for our guests when they open their balcony doors. I note your comments in regards to Kitchen facilities being available, at Kingfisher Bay we do have a number of room types from the hotel rooms through to 2 and 3 bedroom villas, for future reference these villas do have extensive kitchen facilities located in them.

Our food choices at Kingfisher Bay range from our casual dining at the Sand bar to our Sea belle a la carte restaurant, from your review I see you experienced both during your stay, I have passed on your comments to our executive Chef in regards to your experience at the Sandbar.

You are correct in saying that the sunset over the Great Sandy Straight is a memorable experience, most of our guests enjoy a drink from the Jetty Hut when they are enjoying the sunset and I am glad to see it was a highlight of your trip.

We wish you well on your future travels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fraser Island
#4 of 4 in Fraser Island
Akama Resort
Akama Resort
#3 of 24 in Hervey Bay

Been to Kingfisher Bay Resort? Share your experiences!