“Great lodge and experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Kingfisher Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fraser Island
Houston
“Great lodge and experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

We like the outdoors but also like comfort as well. If you are going to Fraser Island and not camping, this is the place for you. We stayed 3 nights and really enjoyed our time there. As a base for seeing the island it was perfect. Hikes out of the resort are well marked and provide great variety. The eco tour via 4 wheel drive is definitely worth it. I was tempted to try to rent a vehicle there--am I glad I did not. The sand tracks are very difficult and unless you have a lot of off road experience better to just go with the guide. The resort has very impressive grounds and paths, and the staff was great. The food was quite good, and the variety of offerings in the primary restaurant worked for us.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to the ocean view. Spectacular vies of the ocean and the sun sets. Nice deck...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear plhughes

Thank you for taking to time to provide us with great feedback about your recent stay.

I have noted and passed on your positive feedback in regards to the staff to the department heads.

We hope that your travels will one day see you back at Kingfisher bay resort; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

The bad - on arrival had to wait over half an hour for apartment to be ready however that was a big mix up with cleaners as the apartment was in fact already available.
On moving into the apartment I was very disappointed, I had requested a refurbished villa on three occasions after reading some bad reports. On arrival I was told it was Not refurbished but was classed as 'excellent'. By who's standards I'm not sure. Cooloola villas were very dated, dark, and really need an update.

The Good- after expressing my disappoint with the Cooloola villa the manager immediately offered an alternative villa (Banksia) which was great, light, modern and came with a lovely view and a spa bath outside. Very impressed. Most villas are privately owned so do vary. We had an excellent stay and would choose these villas again.

The Day Spa - we had a hot stone massage and a facial with Lisa the Spa manager who was FANTASTIC. Professional, very good at her job and really made us feel welcome and relaxed. Prices I thought were very reasonable. Would defiantly recommend a treatment to wipe away the aces from digging the cars out all day.

The reception staff were excellent as we're the Jetty Staff. The Sand bar was not quite as friendly but the service was quick and the food was great

Overall an excellent stay and looking forward to a return trip next year.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Shaotung,

Thank you for your review of your recent return stay at Kingfisher bay Resort.

It is always a positive receiving feedback from a return guest.

I note your comment sin regards to the initial Villa that you we allocated for your stay and I am pleased that you were happy with the service you received in moving you to a different type of Villa that met your expectations. I have passed on you feedback in regards to the Front office team.

I am also pleased to note your comments in regards to our Day Spa, this is a resort outlet that the new team has worked hard on over the last 6 months and your positive feedback in regards to the facility has certainly been met with smiles from Lisa and her staff.

I have also noted and passed your feedback to the Food and Beverage department and Front office accordingly.

The team looks forward to welcoming you back next year, we wish you safe travels in the meantime.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

Our stay at Kingfisher Bay resort was most enjoyable - we really liked the environment friendly factor - our room was quite large with a nice verandah and was serviced daily. The restaurants all served delicious food and we found the staff eager to please. The whale watching trip was excellent, but didn't enjoy the 'beauty spots' tour nearly as much, our bus was bogged quite close to the resort and had to wait for a replacement, which meant we seemed to be rushing for the rest of the tour as our driver wanted to catch a particular ferry back to the mainland. That was really the only hitch in our little holiday there.

Room Tip: I would prefer to stay at the actual resort, rather than in the villas etc.,
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Jenny m

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

I have passed on your positive comments in regards to your room and you enjoyment of the Food and Beverage offerings at the resort to the appropriate team members.

I am disappointed to note your comments in regards to your Beauty spots tour, we have had minimal rain over the last few months which has resulted i the tracks being very soft and sandy, I have passed on your comments to our Tours manager who will also look into your comments regarding the Driver wanting to get back for a particular ferry, please expect my apologies as it appears the tour was not up to your expectations.

We wish you safe travels in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed at Kingfisher on 3 Night whale watching package and found this to be good value for money. I agree with most other comments that the decor in the rooms is dated and could do with some modernising. I also agree with a previous persons comment that the staff were condescending when answering a question. I found a guy at the desk Hayden to be particularly condescending when I told him that we had been booked on the wrong ferry back - to which he responded it can't be wrong because it's the default ferry time. How was I to know that? We also sat around waiting to be taken down to the ferry and had to ask 4 different people when we would be picked up. We went at the back end of the school holidays and found all the screaming kids pretty annoying, this is a huge resort with 3 pools, surely they could designate one as adults only.
Now for the positives, considering this is an Eco resort I felt it fitted in with the environment very well. There were loads of daily activities walks etc and we did the beauty spots tour which was really good. The Sand Bar at the wharf was great and the prawns and antipasto plates are good value. The Seabel restuarant was also very nice with a good wine list. I would stay there again.

1 Thank Traveller1236987
Dear Traveller1236987,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you found Hayden condescending in his response to your question and have personally counselled him in regards to expectations when responding to guest enquiries, please except my personal apologies for this less than acceptable interaction.

I note your comments in regards to the number of children at the resort, as mentioned in previous responses to other guests, Kingfisher prides itself in being able to offer unique services and experiences to both family’s and couples when they visit the resort, you are correct in saying there are a number of pools at the resort however we feel that to best cater to all guests they are free to use all of the pools without segregating any guests to one particular area.

Thank you for your very positive feedback about our Beauty spots Tour and offerings at the Jetty Hut, I have passed on your feedback to the team in those outlets.

It is also pleasing to see that you would visit us again if you travels bring you this way, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

I had arranged a trip to Fraser as a suprise present for my partner (3 nights camping + 3 nights resort stay). To put it in a nutshell during our three days camping prior to arriving at Kingfisher Bay we had experienced a few "Hiccups" and were well and truly ready to relax. It was the night before my birthday when we were due to arrive and unknowingly to me my partner had contacted the resort and asked if they were able to organise something special for our arrival... we arrived to champagne on ice and a lovely array of "Yummies". Following this we found their had been a slight mix up with our resort booking when I brought this to the attention of the resort manager Leanne it was dealt with quickly and efficiently on what felt like a personalised basis. The rest of our trip continued along this way. The resort features were exactly as we had expected (perfect) and the staff day through night were all exceptionally helpful and accommodating beyond their required duties. We would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone and have spoken nothing but raving reviews since our departure, A special thanks to Leanne, Paul, Hayden, Chris and all of the team at Kingfisher for making sure our Fraser Island trip on a fantastic note! We will be back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear Tyler H,

Thank you for such a fantastic review regarding your stay at Kingfisher Bay Resort.

I have noted your comments in regards to the staff who made your stay memorable and have thanked them individually on your behalf.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Northampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

I visited this hotel with an elderly Uncle and Auntie in October12. I don't think that I have ever been so disappointed in my life with an hotel. We stayed in one of the villas which were some distance from reception and when we arrived we were dropped off at foot of climb up to villa, no lights and no help or instruction on how to use the villa......disgraceful! The only way that my relatives could get around due to hilly nature of the place, was top await for the bus every hour and that included going to breakfast. We only stayed for two nights, thank God and specially that the hotel had intended only providing towels every three days; yes that is correct! Most of the staff seemed to be new and when we spoke to them they admitted that most had left to find better jobs, how surprising! This is no more than an average 3* hotel, shame because it has fabulous surroundings

Room Tip: Stay in main hotel and keep your stay to minimum
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank thaidup
Dear Thaidup,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback on your stay at Kingfisher Bay resort.

I am disappointed to see that you didn’t enjoy your stay at the resort and apologise for your arrival that you were not provided with assistance on how your villa worked.

You are correct in saying that we do provide a shuttle service around the resort which I see you did take advantage off. I have liaised with my Rooms Division Manager and Front office manager in to why you were not offered a room move to a hotel room during you stay, this is an action we will look at in the future for our elderly guests if they experience access difficulties during their stay.

In regards to the room servicing we feel that a refresh after three days is in line with our Eco resort programme, this servicing initiative normally receives positive feedback from our in house guests.

I note your personal opinion in regards to staff comments about their employment.

We wish you well in your future travels.
Nelson Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed here for a week last month & thoughroughly enjoyed our stay! We had a 2 bdrm Villa set back in the surrounding bushland. The setting was very peaceful & quite lovely. We had a spa on the deck, as per my request when I made the booking, which was just delightful to return to after a long day exploring the island itself. The Villa was great, very clean & tidy. The TV had a few Austar channels, the kitchen was fully equiped with an oven, mircrowave, gas hot plates, plates, cups, cutlery, ect., you didn't need to bring anything other than food. There was a full laundry as well, complete with washing machine, dryer, iron, ironing board, etc. The toilet was seperate from the bathroom, which for me was a big plus. The shower itself was massive, and could easily fit 3 people commfortably. The shower pressure was amazing, just another thing I rate on :) The bathroom was also fitted out with Shampoo, Conditioner, Hand Wash & Moisteriser dispensers which was handy. As we spent most of our time exploring the island, we only ate out once which was at the Sand Bar. It was nice & well priced, also very comfortable & relaxed, we played pool while waiting for our dinner! We did wander around the resort complex to check it all one day & found there to be numerous pools / spas, nice walkways leading out onto the beach, nice history throughout with pictures & other artifacts all through the reception area. All in all, we had a great stay here & would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: *Go all out & upgrade to get a spa on your Villa deck, definately worth it after a long day, plu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Spax_11

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about your recent stay at Kingfisher Bay.

I have passed on you feedback to the Hotel team and note your comment about recommending us to future guests looking to travel to Kingfisher Bay resort.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kingfisher bay Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fraser Island
#2 of 7 in Fraser Island
Fraser Island Retreat
Fraser Island Retreat
#4 of 4 in Fraser Island

Been to Kingfisher Bay Resort? Share your experiences!