This hotel has the advantage of being in a unique location on a unique island but it squanders that advantage by being mediocre in every other aspect.
We checked our bags in at the mainland check-in at River Head and took the ferry to the island. Hotel check in was smooth and quick and our luggage arrived within about 10 minutes which was great.
Our hotel style room was quite large with two beds. We did have a problem with the heater but that was fixed within a short while.
The decorations and furnishings in the room are dated.
My main complaint is that hotel staff seem to have no idea what they are doing. From what I could gather most of the staff are on working vacations and are just short term employees who are friendly but don't seem to be properly trained.
I was also disappointed with the way the restaurants were run. One of the three restaurants was closed for renovation which left two but one of these was allocated for a large group which left one for the rest of us. Despite all of the remaining guests being forced into one restaurant there were no more staff working in that restaurant and I saw no evidence that the hotel management did anything to ease the bottle neck.
The breakfast buffet was disappointing. There was a nice fruit and yoghurt selection but that was about it. Half cooked fried eggs left to lie limp in a heated dish. Less than half cooked bacon and sausages left to stew in a steaming bain-marie. Yuk!!!!
The island is definitely worth visiting but don't expect much from this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the bush overlooking the calm waters of the Great Sandy Strait, this award-winning ecotourism resort on World Heritage-listed Fraser Island is the perfect base to explore the world's largest sand island. The resort incorporates the 152-room Mercure Kingfisher Bay Hotel, self-contained two and three bedroom villas and houses, and a 174-bed Wilderness Lodge for groups. Resort Rangers also guide a variety of four-wheel-drive coach tours or personalised tours of the island. Access to Fraser Island is by ferry only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Kingfisher Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Kingfisher Bay Resort Fraser Island
- Kingfisher Bay Hotel Fraser Island
- Kingfisher Bay Fraser Island