We had 5 nights in the motel type room and had a thoroughly enjoyable time.
Without exception the staff were helpful, polite, and friendly. Some of them were very new so we couldn't always get answers to our questions easily and sometimes drinks took a while because they were learning. There were a couple of small gestures made that really demonstrated excellent customer service so well done! Reception seemed very busy but staff were without exception helpful and friendly. I liked that any staff who were around tried to help even if it wasn't their job.
There was one crazy night where meals and service took forever in Maheno and my partner's meal was delivered long after I had finished. We saw lots of meals being taken back so not sure what was happening there. When we went back a couple of nights later, it was still a bit slow but generally fine. I thought the meals in Maheno were about as expected for the price.
Our meal in Seabelle was amazing, except for the chocolate and wattle seed pudding which needed a bit more sauce as it was quite dry. I thought the meals were very good value for the price. What they got really right too was the type and the volume of the music.
We really enjoyed our Beauty Spots tour, despite the miserable day. I would recommend taking advantage of the activities provided to get to know the plants and the resort - thanks Aaron. The segway tour was a bit of an indulgence but fun to do. The Bush Tucker Talk and Taste was very informative and well done. We also took some walks out from the resort and found the Walking fact sheet really helpful.
We stayed in a motel type room. It is dated and the shower curtain was a pain at times. The pressure and water temperature though were some of the best I've experienced. The fridge worked really well which was a bonus, but it was very small. We had an esky and used that during the stay. The room was very clean and comfortable and was big enough for two. The deck was quite big and overlooked the lake. It would have been nice to have a sea view, but as the weather was so miserable, we appreciated being close to the main area and it was quite quick to walk to shop and car park.
The trip over on the barge was easy and comfortable and it left on time both times. It was good being able to take the car to the resort so we didn't have to unpack our gear. It was also cheaper to take the car ($165) than leave it behind in the secured car park ($175).
I liked the fact that you could opt out of the room service for some days and have a credit against tours etc – great idea. The credit wasn't on our bill when we checked out, and we forgot, but a phone call next day and it was fixed.
We saw one mosquito, no sandflies and no flies which was an unexpected bonus.
I think it is necessary to have realistic expectations about an eco resort on an island like Fraser, with little infrastructure. The newness/inexperience of staff seemed to create most of the challenges. For us, KBR exceeded expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the bush overlooking the calm waters of the Great Sandy Strait, this award-winning ecotourism resort on World Heritage-listed Fraser Island is the perfect base to explore the world's largest sand island. The resort incorporates the 152-room Mercure Kingfisher Bay Hotel, self-contained two and three bedroom villas and houses, and a 174-bed Wilderness Lodge for groups. Resort Rangers also guide a variety of four-wheel-drive coach tours or personalised tours of the island. Access to Fraser Island is by ferry only. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Kingfisher Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Kingfisher Bay Resort Fraser Island
- Kingfisher Bay Hotel Fraser Island
- Kingfisher Bay Fraser Island