For our second honeymoon we wanted to go somewhere special - we certainly found it! Lizard Island is just amazing - the location, the beaches, the staff, the wildlife, the food, the snorkelling... I could just go on.
We're not people who would normally spend this kind of money on a holiday but as it was a week without the kids, we wanted to make it count. I did a lot of homework and read the reviews and decided to take a risk with the weather and hope that it would live up to expectations.
The rooms are fabulous, just steps away from the beach. The facilities were great, the restaurant was a pleasure (long, long lunches just admiring the view and enjoying the food). How nice not to have to carry anything around like a wallet, a room key etc. - you just didn't have to think about anything except relaxing and enjoying everything the Island has to offer.
We aren't divers and have never snorkelled before - to be able to just walk into the sea from the beach to snorkel in calm, flat water and see the reef is amazing. We just couldn't get enough and seeing a turtle just made our week. We took a half day trip out to the reef which was also good fun.
The staff are great - very helpful and nothing is too much, you just need to ask. The service was discreet and for 90% of the time we felt like we were the only people on the Island. Going for walks and seeing the Island is a must and all the beaches are just beautiful. I don't think I would ever get bored of looking at the ever changing colours of the Island - everywhere you looked or went was just a delight.
We have quite challenging dietary requirements and the staff tried their best to accommodate this. We even had our own separate menus at dinner which was a nice touch. After a few days of mix-ups Anthony the Chef came out and talked to us about what we like and after that we had great variation in choice and we got to try lots of really fantastic food. They even made up some special vegan biscotti to go with my husband’s sorbet and coffees – nice touch.
It's always good to remember that this is tropical Queensland and there are a lot of insects and bugs around. For my husband (who is what I can only describe as a mosquito's meal ticket) this meant that he couldn't leave the room without being fully sprayed up with insect repellent. I think this was mainly because of the time of year (March - wet season) but it took a few days for us to realise that he wasn't safe to go anywhere without being covered. So if you travel this time of year, take long sleeves and trousers, suncream with insect repellent in it and bite relief cream. Not that I want to put anyone off - I was only bitten a few times, so my husband does seem to attract them! There are also sand flies on the beach - so my idea of strolling along hand in hand down the beach didn't last very long! I got used to the ants etc. in the room as they stayed out of your way as long as you were sensible with food and drinks and I rather liked having geckos on the walls. :)
The other thing to note is flying to Island. We weren’t concerned by the size of the plane or indeed the terrible weather that we had to fly in but for someone who is a nervous flyer, just be prepared that the planes are very small. The pilots were great considering that it took two attempts to land on the Island due to the wind!
But if you have the money and are looking for an Island getaway with a difference – Lizard Island really should be top of your list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lizard Island is truly secluded from the rest of the world. With 24 powdery-white beaches and 40 luxurious suites, it is the most northern resort in tropical Queensland and is located directly on the Great Barrier Reef. A National Park covering 1,013 hectares with 24 sandy beaches and a lagoon, Lizard Island is accessible only by private charter from Cairns Airport in northern Queensland, Australia. Cairns Airport is accessible from all major Australian airports and directly from some cities in Asia. The island is reserved for the fortunate few who will experience an unforgettable holiday like no other. Enjoy secluded picnics and sunset beach degustation on private beaches, five star cuisine in the beautiful Salt Water restaurant and indulgent spa treatments in the Essentia Day Spa. Relax in style in premium accommodation and take in the wonders of Australia's Great Barrier Reef - right on your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lizard Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lizard Island Hotel Lizard Island
- Lizard Island Resort All Inclusive