Hinterland Air puts you in a TINY LITTLE plane and flys you over the Great Barrier Reef, (don't bother booking a scenic helicopter flight, this is a great way to see the reef) until you get to a TINY LITTLE Island in the middle of nowhere with a landing strip in the middle of it.......on which the pilot lands.
You are then met by a lovely receptionist of the Lizard Island resort and "Whisked" off for the 1 minute drive to register. You are left in the outdoor foyer where they bring you Ice Tea and "Snacks" and await for Fred, the manager of this paradise.
Fred gives you a well rehearsed speech about Lizards, what to do, not to do blah blah blah etc and the lovely receptionist then takes you on a leisurely stroll to your room/cottage where the new age music is bubbeling out of the Bose sound system in your very minimalistic and ultra modern room.
After checking out the mini bar (which is stocked with chocolate chip cookies and Ferrero Rocher by the way) you wander down to the dive shack to be fitted for your snorkel gear by Chrissie, Troy and Kelvin. The dive shack staff are amazing and if the schedule of activities they have, do not suit your desires, they are more than happy to adjust, re-arrange and make extra trips. Anything to make you feel comfortable and at ease. They offer a fabulous Introductory Dive program which will allow anyone an opportunity to dive in the Great Barrier Reef. Not only is this a once in a lifetime chance, but they make it so easy and so professional that you walk out of there with a real sense of accomplishment. Chrissie was my dive instructor and held my hand all the way down. She was amazing.
Meals are served at the main "compound" with so much delicous food flying back and forth, you don't know where to begin or end. Complimenting wine goes with every course of every meal and deserts are always nummy! If there is something your require that is not on the menu, such as a salad the staff will be more than happy to arrange one for you. Chris and Joe were both amazing at their jobs making dining a delicious and fun experience every time.
The resort also boast small motor boats that you can take out to one of the beaches for the day, with a picnic, a tennis court and a teeny tiny gym, which is really all you need and only if you are feeling guilty about eating all those chocolate chip cookies.
The Good - Beach, Staff, Food, Drinks, Snorkeling (amazing, just walk out and flop down and there it is), the feel of your own private Island.
The Bad - lighting on the walkways, shower grout, furniture in the public areas is run down and should be replaced.
A wonderful experience that I would love to repeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lizard Island is truly secluded from the rest of the world. With 24 powdery-white beaches and 40 luxurious suites, it is the most northern resort in tropical Queensland and is located directly on the Great Barrier Reef. A National Park covering 1,013 hectares with 24 sandy beaches and a lagoon, Lizard Island is accessible only by private charter from Cairns Airport in northern Queensland, Australia. Cairns Airport is accessible from all major Australian airports and directly from some cities in Asia. The island is reserved for the fortunate few who will experience an unforgettable holiday like no other. Enjoy secluded picnics and sunset beach degustation on private beaches, five star cuisine in the beautiful Salt Water restaurant and indulgent spa treatments in the Essentia Day Spa. Relax in style in premium accommodation and take in the wonders of Australia's Great Barrier Reef - right on your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Lizard Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lizard Island Hotel Lizard Island
- Lizard Island Resort All Inclusive