Summary: incredible island with amazing beaches and access to the wonders of the Barrier Reef. The food is the best that I have eaten at a resort. Worthy of 1 Michelin star or a Zagat rating of 24 to 25. Staff are friendly with western standards of 5 star service.
The island is the most Northerly of the resort island hotels and is close to some of the best parts of the barrier reef. I am a scuba diver and did a fantastic dive to "the Snake pit". Sounds scarier than it is and I recommend experienced divers try to do this dive. The "Cod Hole" is a regularly accessed dive trip from the island. Normally you see so much more scuba diving however the snorkeling is incredible. I have never been to a place where the difference between scuba and snorkeling is so small. The reef is shallow and the fish and reef are often less than a couple of feet below you. We snorkeled with turtles and all sorts of fish.
The beaches are incredible. You can take your own small boat out for the day or the staff will drop you off at a beach of your choosing. I preferred the drop off as the staff operated boat has a 100HP engine vs 6HP for the guest operated boats i.e. a big difference in speed.
As a guest you will be the only ones on a beach. This is paradise!
Next is the food. I have been to a number of high end resorts and most resorts are limited by the local food they can source. In a lot of remote places the food is good but not great. Every meal at Lizard was excellent and worthy of top restaurant fare.
Many island resorts around the world suffer from what I call "island time". Staff do not have the same concept of punctuality or pride in doing a good job as many of the guests that come from very business orientated cities. The staff at Lizard were excellent. People are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to please. If you want to be picked up by boat from a beach at 1pm then they will be there at 1pm not 1.10pm.
It is these details that make a truly top resort in my opinion. The marine shop gives everyone their own snorkel and flippers for their stay. Mini bar is well stocked and free. Bathroom is stocked with good toiletries, towels. The beds are good.
All food and most alcohol is included in the price. Only if you want top wines do you pay extra.
The resort has Wifi at the business center if needed but this is the time to get away from that stuff! Rainy season is Jan to early April. We stayed in March with some passing and at times heavy rain. The island is in the tropics so the weather seems to pass quickly and it didn't affect our stay. It is not a cheap resort but when you consider meals and other services are included then it is not outrageous.
To access the resort requires a 1hr flight in a twin engine light aircraft which the resort organizes.
Departure is from the East Air building in the general aviation area of Cairns airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lizard Island is truly secluded from the rest of the world. With 24 powdery-white beaches and 40 luxurious suites, it is the most northern resort in tropical Queensland and is located directly on the Great Barrier Reef. A National Park covering 1,013 hectares with 24 sandy beaches and a lagoon, Lizard Island is accessible only by private charter from Cairns Airport in northern Queensland, Australia. Cairns Airport is accessible from all major Australian airports and directly from some cities in Asia. The island is reserved for the fortunate few who will experience an unforgettable holiday like no other. Enjoy secluded picnics and sunset beach degustation on private beaches, five star cuisine in the beautiful Salt Water restaurant and indulgent spa treatments in the Essentia Day Spa. Relax in style in premium accommodation and take in the wonders of Australia's Great Barrier Reef - right on your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Lizard Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lizard Island Hotel Lizard Island
- Lizard Island Resort All Inclusive