“A Long List Of Problems -Avoid Staying Here”

Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daydream Island
“A Long List Of Problems -Avoid Staying Here”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is the 5th time we have stayed here over the last 12 years and have unfortunately seen it decline with each visit. This stay has been one week. Although we got married here 10 years ago and it's been very special to us, this is the last time we'll come again unless a decent hotel chain purchases it and does a complete overhaul. We were so very disappointed this time around and unfortunately wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
1. No takeaway or room service available so you are forced to dine at a very overpriced buffet with food that isn't even up to RSL club standards, or another restaurant where the food and service is just terrible. If you are someone who appreciates even a half decent meal this is not the holiday destination for you. If you are even remotely into healthy eating this isn't the place for you as there is a huge lack of fresh fruit and vegetables across the island. Everything seems to be deep fried, out of a tin or processed. White bread, white pasta, white rice and all breakfast cereals based on wheat except the cornflakes. No vegetables on the buffet for the entire week except potatoes, and any salads were mostly pasta salad, potato salad and rice salad rather than fresh leafy garden salads.
The breakfast buffet had two pancake machines which both continued to malfunction several times throughout each morning with numerous frustrated guests standing around. There was always empty containers needing to be refilled and no cutlery to be found. On the positive, the maître de always remembered everyone's names. He appeared to be the only waitstaff on the island with any experience and was a lovely gentleman.
2. The waitstaff service is also terrible, which can only be attributed to the very high turnover of unskilled staff with no experience in the relevant fields. Our plates remained dirty and uncleared in front of us each night until we had paid the bill and left the restaurant, whilst staff were meanwhile clearing dirty plates from empty tables around us from previous patrons who had already left the restaurant. One night our mains were even brought out whilst we were still eating our entrees!!!
3. Whilst the rooms were relatively clean and quite nice, room service always failed to provide us with hand towels or washers so our guess is that the linen is in low supply. We were missing essential items from our room like a bath and sink plug, little things that are inconvenient when you need them. Mini bar was topped up at random and the ice machine was broken in our wing, so we had to go all the way down to the bar if we needed ice.
4. If you have children this island does not cater well for them at all. There is a kids club but you cannot take your child there just to play unless you drop them off and pay for the full morning or afternoon. $50 morning and $45 afternoon ($95/day) or $30/hr babysitting. They have an outdoor cinema, which is great, however the movies during our stay were mostly very unsuitable for children. The pools were so freezing it wasn't the place to spend the day floating about.
5. The day spa sounded so appealing we couldn't wait to go but I paid $190 for a facial and was so disappointed with the experience. It was honestly the worst facial I've ever had. Sorry but that's just being honest. I think my husband could have done a better job on me. My husband had a massage which was supposed to be deep tissue and he was so disappointed that I then cancelled my booking.
6. Whilst the staff were friendly and very nice people we gained rapport with a number of them who told us that they have very high turnover of staff, usually only staying 3 months at a time, and lots if foreigners and backpackers on working holiday visas. It appeared that from speaking to the staff they get rotated through different positions, one lady had started as the photographer, was then waitstaff and now working in the day spa. The lack of expertise and competency of a number of staff really demonstrated they had none or very little previous experience in the areas they were working in.
7. On the upside, the location is beautiful and the weather couldn't have been better.
8. We attended a wedding on the island at Sunlovers Cove which was just a magical setting... and aside from the food being very average for a wedding (although I'm sure they paid a premium package), it was just a beautiful night and decorated very well in a gorgeous setting.
I'm really not one to complain normally, but I think it's important for people who are planning a holiday to know what they're in for if they choose to stay here. I'd hate to see a family save their money to come away on a yearly holiday and be really disappointed. The Whitsunday's are a great location but I would definitely choose another island and a different resort.

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Leanne W
DaydreamIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Daydream Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Leanne W

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Daydream Island.
It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay on the island as you have your past 4 visits with us. It is especially important we hear from our return guest so that we can continually improve our guest service and the resort facility and unfortunately it seems that on this particular occasion we have let you down.

With regard to your comments on food quality Daydream Island and our food & beverage team receive many wonderful comments and in particular from our wedding guest, and overall the vast majority of people have their expectations exceeded in terms of our food. Unfortunately we have never offered room service on the island and the majority of our guests when we have provided a takeaway menu have opted to dine in our outlets. I was pleased to read however that a particular staff member did make a positive impact on your as all of our staff do pride themselves on their guest service.

I note that you mention that the ice machines were not working in your wing; Ice is only available from the bars as we unfortunately do not provide ice machines though out the resort.

Due to security and parents piece of mind our guest that choose to use our child care facilities they are closed to the public so that we may restrict access to the area only to our qualified child care facilitators. We do however provide a giant outdoor jungle gym on the southern side of the island for the use of all guests at their leisure.

As would have been the case with your previous stays with us unfortunately for 95% of the year our pools there are no need to heat our pools, unfortunately the beginning of May the temperature though out the Whitsundays has been cooler than normal.

We appreciate your feedback and and please restasured that your feedback has been distributed to the appropriate departments for follow up. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Daydream in the future as we believe you will have a positive experience as has been the case with your previous stays.

Kind Regards,
Craig Ryan
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Really disappointed!!

1. I would have thought the pools would be heated for cooler months!! No where for toddlers to play with out paying for baby sitting (I don't want my child in care!! She goes to care when I work so I wanted to enjoy our time together!!)

2. No room service & no where to get takeaway!! After a long day out on a cruise to Whitehaven Beach we had no choice but to drag our 21 month old to the buffet when she was tired & cranky!! Our 1st day here after flying & traveling on the ferry to get here no food available until 5:30pm!! I'm pregnant & I would have thought getting something to eat on arrival would be an easy option!!

3. Our room was right outside the pool smoking area!! Not able to open our doors for fresh air AT ALL!!

Save your money & find a more young family friendly place!! Still here now & feel like I'm STUCK here until our trip home on Friday!! First holiday where I can't wait to go home!! So disappointed!!

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Jacinta M
Dear Jacinta M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Daydream Island Resort and Spa. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to meet with you directly but it was a pleasure to sit down and discuss your families concerns with your partner and I hope that your daughter enjoyed the Daydream bear I sent down to the restaurant for her.

As mentioned to your husband due to security and parents piece of mind our guest that choose to use our child care facilities they are closed to the public so that we may restrict access to the area only to our qualified child care facilitators, and I believe during your stay while there were no children in the facility that our manager allowed access for you so your daughter could enjoy the play equipment.

Unfortunately you are correct and we do not offer room service in the resort we do however offer takeaway from the fishbowl tavern when open and our food and beverage management are also more than willing to accommodate guest request were possible.

Once again I would like to thank you both for your feedback regarding your experience. We do hope that you provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Daydream in the very near future.

Kind Regards,
Craig Ryan
Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Daydream Island hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Honest to god, out of any hotel/resort I have ever been to - this should be on tripadvisors bottom 5 worst resorts. First off, the ferry ride from Airlie beach will set you back around $36 per person one way...don't forget to multiply it by 2, because you have to get off this god forsaken island somehow. When you finally arrive, initial impressions are not that great...I guess you can judge a book by the cover after all. The rooms are pretty basic, outdated though - if you want an ocean view room remember to get an "uninterrupted ocean view". We found this out the hard way as we reserved an ocean view room, it had a large hedge tree in front of the balcony which obstructed everything.

Restaurants here were all sub standard. The fishbowl looked like the building was about to collapse - the sign on top was almost falling off the roof. When you walk into this abysmal "restaurant" its basically tavern type food served in a high school canteen. Drinks were overpriced along with the food.

We went to Mermaids another day, great views but bland food.

My recommendation to anyone contemplating coming here is avoid this place at all costs. Do not spend a dollar here - should be a worlds worst resort nominee.

Room Tip: Dont - just don't come here.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank USCalum
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed over Anzac weekend,the trip from Abel Point Marina to Daydream was about 20/25 mins by boat.When we reached the island we were welcomed by a member of staff who gave us all shell necklaces,and a couple of guitarists we playing some nice island music.We checked in and our bags were sent to the room,we had an Ocean view room on the ground floor absolutely stunning views of the water.The rooms were very clean and adequate for us with 2 huge beds.The restaurants are very good,well priced with good variety of pub style food or alacarte also a fantastic buffet.We had buffet breakfast everyday and the amount and variety of food was amazing.The swimming pools and spas were all meticulously maintained.Lovers cove a must see to do snorkelling and watching the sunset with a glass of bubbly.A beautiful island with lots to do,if you want to relax or have fun with the kids.The staff are very friendly and cant do enough to help you.The sting ray splash was brilliant,and the reef was beautiful.The helicopter ride is great a must do,also the glass bottom boat and parasailing.We are planning our next trip to the island,and cant wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Ocean view room,ground floor as you have direct access to the pools,and a larger patio area with bea...
1 Thank Rachel H
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Daydream Island is a very beautiful island! Takes only about 10 minutes to walk from the northern to the southern end. The grounds are very well maintained and there are plenty of kangaroos and cockatoos. Even spotted some green forest snakes (harmless). The best swimming spot is without doubt "Lovers Cove". However, do not expect Great Barrier Reef like fish life and coral.

The resort itself is old but well maintained and we had stunning views from our room. The overall resort decor is "pastel pacific", which may not be to everyones' liking. Would have preferred a more modern look myself.

The downside is that you are locked into dining at one of two restaurants each night: Waterfall for buffet or Mermaids/Fishbowl (available alternate nights). Prices are highish, but not exorbitant. We had buffet at Waterfall the first night, and that was a huge disappointment. Probably the worst buffet I have ever had. Made sure we stayed clear of Waterfall after that. Fishbowl provides decent quality food. It is self-service ordering and pick-up. The best restaurant was without doubt Mermaids. We were a family of 3 (2 adults + 14yu boy) and spent AUD 650 on dinners and lunch over four nights. Something you should budget for, as there are no cheaper alternatives.

We brought snacks, and wine to the island, which I highly recommend to save some money.

Resort has a great set of free activities, including Hoby Cats, canoes, paddle boards, and great outdoor movies in the evening. You have to pay for snorkel gear. (Did not use it as the snorkling off the island is not that great.)

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed over the Easter Long weekend+ 2 kids (7&4)
Starting with the beautiful ride on the ferry across from Hamilton, everything ran as per schedule.
On arrival we were warmly greeted and showed around the main areas.
The resort itself is old but but immaculately kept with beautiful gardens, and pools.we stayed in a coral ocean room with stunning views of the ocean. The Sunrise was spectacular from the balcony. The rooms are dated but clean.the walk across to the South Island is lovely as is the rainforest walk.
There are many free activities with a daily schedule, we did the free fish feeding show in the morning. Then we did a private fish feeding where we all got to hold a shark and starfish. We won a stingray feed at the bingo which my 7 yr old did and loved. The live Reef really excited the kids.
The pools are great too though a slide may add to the fun.the watersports we good too.
We tried both the school holiday programme for 7yr old and skippers club for 4yr old and they both really enjoyed it. A thanks to Nicholas and Evelyn for looking after the kids. The outdoor cinema night was fun too. The photoshoot was fun to do although we would have preferred to be asked our preference re the locations.

We would like to say a Huge thank you to JEROME at Waterfalls and head chef ASHLEY for catering to our vegetarian needs at dinner time. Nothing was too much trouble for you and we really appreciate you looking after us. The Dessert table and chocolate fondue were a hit with the kids.The buffet breakfast was sufficient but limited for vegetarians. We carried a lot of snacks which I strongly recommend. The cocktails at the Lagoon bar are great!

We had a truly wonderful stay thanks to the staff on the whole island. There were plenty of a activities to keep the family busy. We would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The view from Coral Ocean View room was great
5 Thank Kaj111
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at daydream for 5 nights + the 2 kids ( 4 & 18months). I was dubious initially, after reading some not so good reviews, but was pleasantly surprised with how much we enjoyed our time in the island. The ground were immaculate, the rooms clean, and the service was if a high standard. We expected prices to be fairly high, being on an island, but in general weren't to extreme. We brought a lot of snacks, and I would recommend this, as it is the snacks and drinks that are really expensive. The food was of a high standard. Mermaids especially was great. Fish bowl had giant meals, the kids meals we're so large, it was really a waste, as my kids ate no where near all of it. The buffet breakfast was good, keeping in mind that buffets aren't known for quality generally. We ate the buffet dinner on two occasions. The roast night was good, pizza & pasta night average, but I'm not a huge fan of buffets, the price for the buffet dinner was not value for money, plus you then had to pay $5 extra for soft drink refills. The activities were great, plenty of free stuff to do, also paid to do the guided fish feeding and the stingray splash . The staff at the living reef were fantastic. One downside was the skippers club child minding. The prices for this was so ridiculous, that we were unable to afford to send the kids there, therefore missed out on some of the tours that were not suitable for young children.
All in all, it was a great family friendly resort, and can't wait to come back... With grandparents in tow!

• Stayed April 2014
#4 of 5 in Hamilton Island
Beach Club
Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Daydream Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!