“Yes, but....”
Review of Beach Club

Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Have to admit that my expectations were high. Before booking at the BC, I looked at 10-15 places because I wanted this 4 nights 5 days holiday to be perfect since we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Have to admit that what made me hesitate were the pictures of the rooms. For a starting price of 570$/night, I found that the rooms looked dull. I decided to book our holiday there anyway because of the quality of service the resort seemed to offer.

Room
Better than I had anticipated. Nowhere near "run down" (from a review I read on TA) even if there are scoff marks on some of the furniture. Honestly though, the view makes it perfect. In all my travels, I don't think I ever got a better view :)

There was no double locks or peep hole, but there was a second door (in case you wanted to let air come in). However, wasn't too keen on the fact that the room key was an actual key with the room number and hotel name written on it. I understand that they did that so that people can charge anything on the island to their room (which is a neat idea), but let's say that I became almost paranoid about not losing the key

The water pressure was "so so" depending on the time of day you went in the shower (around 5:30 was not a good time).

There were also great features in the room like a fridge, excellent wi fi and safe.

The location was also great. Beach front location and a 10 min walk to the marina where most restaurants are

What I HATED with a passion though was the fact that our room was connecting to the neighbor's. I HATE connecting room because you can hear almost everything happening next door. I actually was awaken by the neighbor blowdrying her hair at 6:15 am...fun! Honestly, I cannot understand how a high end "adult only resort" can even offer connecting rooms....

The service is indeed good and sometimes great. Whatever you ask, you're likely to get and with a smile!

Have to say though that I expected a bit more from "Water's edge experience" (6 course meal with possible wine pairing on the beach). Don't get me wrong, the food and wine pairing were great, BUT as soon as Juan left for the evening (around 8) the level of service went down. Getting our water glasses refilled almost became a challenge! And at 200$/person, I would have liked to have someone come by after the latter courses to make sure everything was fine. I don't eat rare meat, but that's how the lamb was cooked. Nobody came to check if everything was ok; I didn't eat it and gave it to hubby....Other thing I was disappointed with was the fact that what was supposed to be a romantic experience didn't turn out to be that. The dinner should have been on the beach (with the possibility of 3 other couples) but because it was too windy, they gave us the option to do it in the restaurant. We took them up on it. The evening started out well; most of the other tables were away from us. By the end of the evening, we were surrounded by people, including a table of 4....when the other half of the restaurant was empty :(. Let's say that the last 30-45 min of the experience were not really enjoyable!

FYI
This is indeed an adult only resort. You won't see any kids in or around the resort. However, the beach is public. The resort restrict the access of the first 50 feet of the beach or so, but the other 50 feet were public. Hence, if you're the kind of people who really don't want to hear/see kids, you might be better off going at Qualia. Personally, it didn't bother me

Would I come back? Yes, in a heartbeat, but I'd manage my expectations and would ask for a first floor - non connecting room

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hourray
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Hourray,

Thank you for your detailed review of Beach Club.

It’s great to see you had an overall enjoyable stay and that you will return to us in the future, I do want to put your mind at ease though on the security of your room should you lose the room key.

On the odd occasion a key has been lost, I have just had the room key and barrel replaced. Honestly the biggest danger on island is having your food stolen by a cheeky cockatoo but it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

The interconnecting doors are actually used quite often as we have families with adult children or close friends travelling together. Saying that though, the demand isn’t significant enough and we are seriously considering having them sealed up during the refurbishment.

I have discussed your dining experience feedback with the team, we will work harder to ensure that romantic experience is protected and seating of new tables is given careful consideration as not to disrupt the experience of other guests.

Beach Club Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,196)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at BC for 3 nights during October whilst our stay on the island.

The transport from the airport to the accommodation was smooth and our host welcomed us with refreshments on check-in which really set the mood for a relaxing stay. The hotel is located right on top of Catseye Beach, and from the foyer lounge you overlook the infinity pool leading out to palm trees and the ocean, ie. Paradise.

Sitting by the pool or out on the beach (all having table and drinks service) was a great way to unwind and the staff were all mostly very helpful. p.s. The cocktails are very generous.

Location wise it is in a good spot, around 10-15mins walk at most to the marina and about the same to the start of Passage Peak hike starting point. Not that you have to walk as the complimentary shuttle service can get you anywhere.

We had dinner one night on the beach which was very charming, even with the gusts of wind. I would recommend trying this if you can, the food is tasty and the sound of the ocean in candlelight is nice.

Activities on the beach include complimentary use of the paddle boards, kayaks and small catamarans, highly recommend you try these out if you can.

Our room located on the second floor overlooked the beach with no obstructions, it was nice to be able to enjoy the view from the room after a hard day out on the sand! The rest of the room was clean and unobtrusive with a Bose sound system and tv, and the bathroom very comfortable.

The complimentary photo shoot service sounds cheesy but it is free and you will get a good photo as a souvenir so do schedule this in before you leave. We booked restaurants and day excursions through the concierge and they handled all these arrangements promptly and efficiently.

The only problem we had was to do with false fire alarms that went off 3 times during the night over 2 nights, disrupting much needed sleep. We weren't notified at the time of what to do or what the cause was which was the most disappointing point. However to management's credit, upon checkout they reimbursed some of the costs which was a good gesture.

I highly recommend BC for it's excellent accommodation and service, you will have a great getaway here.

Dear Mark C,

Thank you for your review of Beach Club and your kind recommendation.

I am so happy to see our little photo shoot offer is being appreciated. Most people don’t take the time to get a professional photo taken in their busy lives so we decided a photo together would be a nice keepsake.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We recently stayed at Beach Club for our wedding anniversary (minus our children). This has been the most relaxing and peaceful holiday we've ever been on. From the moment we landed at the airport, the staff at Beach Club were looking after our every need. The extra service at this place is exceptional, and you must remember this if you think the room rate is too pricey. It's worth it!! The staff were so friendly, and treated everyone as equals - you never felt like you weren't good enough to be looked after, and nothing was ever any trouble for them. They take the time to chat and get involved with the guests.

The location of this hotel is absolutely stunning - and right on its own private stretch of the beach, exclusive for hotel guests. In my opinion, it's the best spot on the island. No children at the resort gives it a super peaceful atmosphere. We especially liked the beachside service for drinks and meals, the staff even bringing us water during our time spent on the beach.

The rooms were lovely, modern, super quiet, beachy and very comfortable. I wouldn't say in need of a reno at all! The shower was especially good - didn't want to get out of there. We had an upstairs room with a balcony - I would recommend this over the lower floor rooms, only because you can see the water better! There are hedges surrounding the bottom floor balconies, but you do have pretty much beach access from these rooms.

The restaurant was also fantastic - we loved everything we ordered. I especially recommend the waters edge degustation dinner - absolutely loved it. Our other pic of the Hamilton restaurants was Coca Chu. Brilliant location on the beach, and the food was heaven! Indulge and try everything.

Overall this is the type of place I would recommend for a honeymoon, couples getaway, or anyone wanting a luxurious and peaceful holiday. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: 2nd level rooms have a better view of the beach.
1  Thank Qldfamily

Dear Qldfamily,

Thank you for your lovely review of Beach Club.

To hear your stay was the most peaceful you have had is a great compliment, I guess being able to just focus on yourselves for a change had a big part to play in the relaxation!

I loved the pictures of Beach Club, thank you for posting those as they are so helpful for future guests to view our lovely property.

We look forward to your next escape from the kids!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My two times staying here have been nothing short of PERFECTION!! Incredible service is the number one best thing, but closely followed by beyond amazing food, location and great room. I stayed 2 nights last year with my sister, and left feeling as though I had just lived through a magical holiday dream and honestly felt we were treated like royalty. I have never received service like that in my life. I promised myself I would return for my 40th birthday with my husband, and wondered if it could possibly live up to my previous trip. It did! The Manager was even generous enough to have chilling champagne upon arrival as a birthday surprise! A most welcome one I might add. Other accommodation places could learn from this place. What you have created here is simply AMAZING. I can hardly put into words how to describe the breakfast experience. My husband, who can be quite a harsh critic described the breakfast experience as simply 'the best breakfast location, atmosphere and service he had ever had'. I cannot put into words how much I love this place! Keep doing what you are doing! I will be back!!!

Room Tip: Stay upstairs. The view is just stunning!!
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about our experience staying at the Beach Club. Marcus and his team do a phenomenal job of providing superb service to guests. The staff helped us plan our stay and find fun things to do, and came to our aid when we accidentally missed one of our planned day trips! The restaurant is quite good, and cocktails on the beach are highly recommended. Perhaps most importantly, the location is beautiful, the absence of children is most welcome, and the rooms are comfortable. We departed with many wonderful memories.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have just spent 5 nights at the Beach Club on Hamilton Island and had the best holiday ever. First class service right from the time we got on the ground. Such a beautiful resort with everything that you need at your fingertips. Excellent food, service and a great relaxing holiday by the pool and in the beach chairs on the beach with drinks brought right out to you. As a mature age couple having to travel in the school holiday period, Beach Club was the perfect choice to relax and enjoy without all the crowds and kids. We are definitely coming back again next year.
Ken & Karen, Victoria

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This has been a great stay. The service is pure luxury, but not at all pretentious. The restaurant is top class, the rooms are great(although they are scheduled for Reno soon, which will make a good thing even better). The staff were so friendly and cheerful, no kids mucking around at breakfast or making noise around the pool, this is just what we needed/wanted.

Room Tip: We were upstairs, had a great view over the beach from our balcony. Only one flight of stairs, so no...
1  Thank George G
#5 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Beach Club? Share your experiences!