“Nice but paying for the views”
Review of Beach Club

Beach Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My fiance and I stayed in January for 7 nights. We were greeted in excellent fashion with a private transfer and our luggage organised. The staff are excellent- very warm and friendly. Once we had an intro we were taken to our room which is where my disappointment ensued. It hadn't been cleaned to my standard and had aspects from the previous stayer which needed to be removed. Nevertheless the staff attended to this quickly and we were given complimentary champagne.

The views, pool & dining (breakfast) is excellent. You literally are on the beach. Absolutely stunning! And I think this is what you pay for. The rooms are simply tired, however they are undergoing renovations so I would be interested to see how they are after. My gripe is that I didn't think it was fair to be paying such an exorbitant amount for what we received. I would have been happy to pay $$$ per night if everything matched up but it didn't and thats why I left feeling slightly unsatisfied.

Big thanks for Marcus for doing everything he could to make this a better experience, and his offerings certainly helped. Also to Beth who demonstrated excellent service throughout.

5  Thank Meg M
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Meg M,

Thank you for posting your review of Beach Club.

I am sorry the rooms left you feeling unsatisfied. We do on occasion have guests possibly expecting the 5 star chandeliers and marble expereince, Beach Club is better described as "beachside luxury". Our rooms are an older style but very well maintained and we take great pride in ensuring they look their best. As I write this they are all receiving a full repaint during this short closure.

As always, I advise that future guests have a look at Tripadvisor for unbiased viewer photographs to make their own conclusions. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Rooms aside we offer service comparable to any top resort in the world, our location is beautiful, extremely safe environment, weather spectacular (95% of the time!) and all within a quick direct flight from the major cities on the Australian eastern seaboard. This combination is very hard to beat.

Hopefully we will see you back once the refurbished rooms are released.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stopped on Hamilton Island for just 4 days. We were travelling around Australia and wanted a few days of tranquility. That's just what we got. We were met at the airport, luggage was whisked away we were driven to the Beach Club and given a delicious cocktail and shown to our room, which was very spacious with a beautiful view of Catseye beach. The staff were very attentive but not overly so. The dinner in the evening was delicious, especially the scallops.
We took a boat trip to Whitehaven Beach and did some snorkelling, accompanied by a great guide with a terrific sense of humour!
I couldn't fault the trip and would very happily go back. It was so relaxing and beautiful.

Room Tip: I think all the Beach Club rooms look out over the bay. We had a second floor room so a good view, m...
1  Thank SPackham
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear SPackham,

Thank you for your review of Beach Club.

We aim to offer service of a relaxed and friendly nature while ensuring our guests want for nothing, from your comments it seems we are achieving this on a regular basis. The team will be happy to see their efforts are noticed.

Whitehaven Beach is one of the most popular places for good reason in the Whitsundays, either for a day visit or an overnight mooring when sailing independently. The company of a great tour guide most definitely adds to the appeal and enjoyment of a day out and happy to hear the tour operators on island delivered a great experience.

Hope we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have just returned from Australia where my wife and I spent a month exploring . We stayed in some very good hotels but the one that surprised us most was the Beach Club on Hamilton Island.
We arrived on Wednesday 29th January just as they were about to close the airport due to an approaching cyclone. If we had known about this we would have altered our itinerary. The Beach Club had sent an E mail to us the day before to welcome us to our forthcoming stay with no mention of the worsening weather.
The best features of the Beach Club is its location right on the beach and the willing and happy staff.
The worst features are the quality of its bedrooms (twin beds means two small singles), the credit card surcharge on pre-paid debit cards.
The strangest thing that I have not seen before is the threatened large fine if you smoke outside on your balcony. You are invited to go outside (in a cyclone) and sit on the naughty step if you fancy a cigar with your evening coffee.
The cyclone came through and the rain continued so once the airport re-opened we left early and flew to Brisbane. We did not request any refund or complain about the extra nights we had to pay for. The person who checked us out was the person who checked us in.......a very po faced lady who was unable to say anything to us during our stay following my complaint about paying a credit card surcharge. A simple 'sorry about the weather' or even a 'I hope you had a nice trip' would have been a nice ending but I am sure I noticed just a tiny smile as I signed my final invoice that contained the 1.5% surcharge.
The General Manager of the hotel was great. He talked to the guests and worked all hours of the day and night picking up the debris from the cyclone. At one stage we took a great picture of 4 members of staff standing behind the outdoor reception desk watching the GM pick up the debris.

Guy Vigar

Room Tip: Don't ask for a twin if you want a good nights sleep
2  Thank Guy V

Dear Guy V,

Thank you for your review of Beach Club. I am very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't perfect.

For the comfort of other guests (and due to legislative requirement) no smoking is allowed in rooms and the common areas of Beach Club. I have had two specially built pergolas constructed to provide a comfortable and scenic area for our guests to smoke whilst not bothering the other non-smoking guests.

Our rooms all have king beds with a few of them able to be split into singles, I am sorry you were not advised prior to arrival that our ‘share’ rooms would be two single beds. I will follow up with your booking agency to ensure this is being passed on correctly.

The credit card surcharge has been standard practice at Beach Club and at the vast majority of Australian business for some time now. We do not hide the fact that we have to pass on the bank charges, guests have an option of paying with other means other than credit cards should they wish to avoid them.

Our greatest asset is our staff and I know the vast majority of the time they represent me well, even though maybe they should help me more with picking up palm fronts.

I am sorry your experience with them was not similar to the average one at Beach Club, your feedback will of course be discussed openly at the next team briefing to ensure we don’t miss the mark again.

I do hope you return sometime soon so we can organise better weather and put on a great show for you.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at the Beach Club for seven nights. If you want to relax and unwind this is the place to stay. From the moment you arrive at the airport you are greeted by warm friendly staff. The concierge will collect your luggage and take them straight to your room while you are whisked away to the hotel with a private transfer. When you arrive at the hotel you are greeted with a welcome drink and everything you need to know about Hamilton Island is explained to you, where to eat, tours etc.
The rooms are spacious and clean and the bed is very comfortable. Our room was on the second floor with views of the pool and the beach which was beautiful.
They also offer a free shuttle service around the island taking you to the restaurants & shops and will come back and collect you.
The Beach Club restaurant is very nice and good choices for breakfast also.
Would definitely like to return when the refurbishment is completed.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool and the beach, what a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Palma1962,

Thank you for your review of Beach Club.

“Relax and unwind at the Beach Club’, I couldn't have said it better! We make this our ultimate aim, no matter how stressed or worked up by normal life we try to get you de-stressed and relaxed as fast as possible.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at The Beach Club over New Year for 5 nights. It was our first proper holiday without the children. Everything was perfect, from the moment we got off the plane , bags collected for us and taken to hotel, the friendliness and efficiency of the hotel staff, nothing was a problem.... The location of the hotel, literally steps to the beach - so relaxing. The food was very good , breakfasts exceptional, sitting looking out over the pool and the sea ... We had our first dinner on the beach which I would recommend - it was all presented so beautifully. We tried several restaurants and the food was excellent - everything could be charged back to your room. If we needed to go anywhere , just needed to make a call and hotel car just dropped off /picked you up. Nothing was a problem. Wish we could have stayed longer.!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juliesydney
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Juliesydney,

Thank you for posting your review.

Glad to see your first true holiday without the children was relaxing. We all love children but the peace and quiet that an adults only hotel offers is hard to beat!

We hope to see you back soon for the next escape.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The plan for the trip were the usual visit of the Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven Beach and an all day charter fishing trip. Sadly Cyclone Dylan had something to say about that and all the reasons you come to Hamilton Island were cancelled. This could have spelled for a disastrous break but the Beach Club were exceptional with their wet weather contingency.
From the moment you are greeted from the flight and your luggage taken to your room through to the always friendly faces that are there to help you, the team at the hotel always made us feel welcome. It was always felt not to be a problem to make dinner reservations, check if visits are on or off and the communication around the Cyclone was exemplary.
The team never made you feel hurried over meals even though you wanted to race through the food it tasted so good. Free cocktail classes were a great touch when the weather outside was not ideal.
The Club also provides free access to the gym (a good one), sauna, spa, good quality a la carte breakfast and free wi-fi
The only downside that we could say (and it's being a bit picky) is the room is a bit tired, not the 'boy this place needs some work' tired just needs a bit of TLC. I understand that a renovation is pending so best not to dwell on this point.
Overall a special experience and will likely return to do the items we had planned to do this time round.
Thank you Beach Club for making Lemonade out of what could have been a massive lemon.

Room Tip: Downstairs provides direct private beach access.
2  Thank 276David123

Dear 276David123,

Thank you for your review.

It is always hard to see people not be able to enjoy the great activities on offer due to weather conditions as we all know often the opportunity to come and visit the island takes some planning.

I am very proud to see that we were still able to offer you a great break and I do hope to see you back to take care of your unfinished business on island.

Till next time,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Excellent service from the time we got of the plane, A very warm welcome, the service was excellent, rooms very large and great views, cleaned to a high standard the breakfast was very good, the infinity swimming pool and pool service was also excellent even the sun beds on the beach were very well maintained, all in all we will defiantly go back. A big thank you to all the staff. I felt that I was on honeymoon again. I also enjoyed the fact the hotel offered a drop of and pick up service all around the Island.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayTaffy

Dear KayTaffy,

Thank you for your review.

It is always a pleasure to read that the smiles and warm service started the moment we met you at the airport and continued through your stay. We have a great passionate team who enjoy seeing guests arrive and slip into ‘island relax mode’.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Beach Club? Share your experiences!