“Relax or play...it's up to you”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“Relax or play...it's up to you”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just spent a great week here during the school holidays. The hotel no longer seems dated or tired, it feels very fresh and bright and extremely we'll run. The staff were really helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We were on the 13th floor with a beautiful view over the spectacular bay. Stacks of activities for children and adults. Many restaurants and eating outlets to choose from on the island. Would return again in a heart beat.

1 Thank Travelfreak2112

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Upon arrival first impressions of the island and hotel resort were impressive but the hotel room on the 15th floor was mixed. Coral Sea room was very spacious but a little outdated, the four star rating is correct.

Smoking is permitted on the balcony even though the rooms are non smoking. We were subject to second hand smoke from guests puffing on lower floors. Requesting a non smoking room does not mean a smoke free environment for your kids.

During our week stay we were woken by delivery trucks at 0530am every day.
Also the rooms are not that quiet, you can easily hear quests above, particularity moving of chairs on tiled floors.

The hotel facilities are excellent. Access to the pool, beach sports, gym, tennis courts and kids games is great. One issue that needs to be addressed is having better flexibility for the catamaran classes. We had to wait until the final day of our stay to use the catamaran due to the inflexible times for lessons being only 10am compounded by the issue of only being able to sail in the safe period of when wind is under 20kts and high tide 0830am to 12pm only. Planning your day around the beach sports and weather is critical.

The staff are very friendly and demonstrate the best service we have ever received compared to the major city hotels. Reef View should be very proud of the quality of their staff. They are always smiling, happy, relaxed, easy going and very professional.

Food quality at Reef View is excellent. The buffet breakfast has good variety and choice. Pool side service is very convenient and kids eat free when you buy a main meal. There is a catch though with the all important coffee. A genuine espresso (late or cap) is an extra charge. The free filtered coffee from the self service machine tastes absolutely terrible.

Overall we will recommend this hotel to friends and will be back another time. Hopefully next time the noisy trucks will be gone, the coffee machines upgraded and smoking will be banned.

Thank you Reef View for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to higher floors and away from smokers. All rooms would be able to hear the delivery trucks...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank traveller7200
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We travelled as a party of 3 and were all astounded with Hamiltons natural beauty, there is a fantastic heaterd 34 metre pool, the breakfast is brilliant with a lovely friendly lady that makes whatever eggs you require ( she does a great florentine ). The building is pretty dated and you have to pay a bit more to get over the 6th floor but the view and sunrise are worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 123Colleen
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear 123Colleen

Thank you for both your review and for staying with us.

So happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay, the natural beauty of Hamilton Island and of course those breakfasts each day. I will be sure to pass you compliments onto my team.

Building has been “pretty dated” and we are indeed in the middle of a multi stage refurbishment. Very excited to have it all completed.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Reef View Hotel is on a beautiful island with great service and food. The room is spacious and the views are sensational. With a pool and restaurant right downstairs, easy swimming and a great breakfast are only minutes away. The breakfast is great, and it is free as well, a great meal for no cost. With the Wildlife Center and other attractions right around the corner, this conveniently placed hotel is one of the best in Australia.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam M
Dear Sam M

Thank you for your review.

A pleasure having you here with us and I thank you for your kind words.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Chickamauga, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My cousin and I went to Hamilton Island at the end of our trip at the recommendation of our Allanah at Just Sydney Tours. She helped us plan so much of our trip, and every recommendation was perfect. The hotel meets you at the airport and puts all of your luggage on a carrier and then you are transported to the hotel. Check in was very easy, as it was required to pre-pay before your stay, the only part was credit card for the extras. We had been traveling all morning and were very hungry when we got there, so we went straight to the restaurant. The food was good, but the service was a little slow but I feel that was because it was typically a slow time for the restaurant. After lunch, it was on to our room. We were on a higher floor and the view was AMAZING!! We immediately sat on our balcony just to take in the beautiful scenery. The room was large and well appointed. The bathroom was huge!! Loved the shower!! I could not adjust to the time zone even though we were already there two weeks so I was up at sunrise and what a sunrise to see from our balcony. I loved being greeted in the morning by the birds, the ocean and the color of the sunrise.

We had the breakfast plan so the first morning we went to the restaurant in the hotel. It had a huge selection of food for any tastes. Lots of fruits, which I love. We didn't have to wait long to be seated and the service was really good. The last day we ate at Hamilton Island Wildlife to have breakfast with the koalas which you can also do with the breakfast plan, and although they didn't have as much of a selection it was also memorable due to the setting.

The shuttle service ran on time and it was easy to get around the island. We opted not to get a golf buggy as we were only going to be there a short time, however, if we would have stayed longer it would have been considered. I believe the rental was around $100.00 per day for the golf carts.

We had booked all of our tours ahead of time and when we arrived we found out that our one tour had been cancelled. After being in line quite awhile we ended up doing two tours in one day. It was a full day, but we were able to go to the Reef World at the Great Barrier Reef (we took the helicopter there and boat back-we wished we had done helicopter there and back and paid the extra because the water was rough) and also a plane ride to Whitehaven Beach. (Gorgeous-do not miss) I highly recommend both of those tours!!

I am so glad we came to Hamilton Island, and I loved our stay at the Reef View Hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely get a higher floor for the view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tammy P
Dear Tammy P

Firstly let me say thank you for staying with us here at The Reef View Hotel and secondly thank you for your incredibly detailed review.

A pleasure having you here with us and I’m touched to read your stay went off without a hitch and that my team were able to make such a difference.

Flying out to the reef & the seaplane flight to Whitehaven Beach is indeed a must and I'm glad to hear you were able to experience both after having a trip cancelled.

Thank you again. I hope to welcome you back soon and if there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We walked into our room at the Reef View hotel and was greeted with a beautiful airy room with an expansive view of a sunny blue sky, sapphire ocean and mountains. I really loved the room and our bathroom. And this was me walking in from our flight and stay @ the Four Seasons in Sydney! Granted it was not high season (June) so maybe that's why we got a HIGH floor but we enjoyed our stay there. Loved the greedy Sulphur crested Cockatoos who visited us in droves day 1 and then ignored us after that because they realised we were not going to feed them.

The hotel is old and needs a facelift in terms of interior decoration (I am thinking plantation style/ colonial style decor!) and needs to look a lot cosier but that didn't affect our room's cleanliness or anything.

The only bad bit was a jammed shower head and after letting housekeeping know about it they got it changed almost immediately. But oh how I loved the water pressure. Usually my pet peeve everywhere else.

We even got complimentary poolside drinks, offered just like that, by the manager of that restaurant ! (this was before our complaint or anything) how nice !!

Yummy bloody Mary at the bar.

I had two issues
1. who do we complain to if there is noise disturbance like late night ? At around 1 AM there was a drunken party going on and I was wondering who do we call at this time of the night ? But it wasn't near our room and I drifted back to sleep (and it died down after a while anyway)

2. My biggest gripe would be the fact that the peaches at breakfast buffet seemed like they were out of a can ? Sugar syrup-y. We are in Australia we must have fresh fruit (poached or whatever) not canned and not in syrup. Can anyone confirm that ?

Definitely going back .

Dear Noor2503

Thank you so much for your detailed review.

I'm touched to learn that you had such a great holiday & were able to enjoy The Reef View Hotel.

As always I'm concerned with the issues you experienced but happy to read they were resolved so quickly by our team.

To answer your 2 questions:

1) If you ever have issues with a noise disturbance (In any hotel) simply dial the front desk. We have staff on 24hr’s a day who will look into the problem immediately for you.

2) I shall speak with my team at the restaurant and find out for you.

It was a pleasure having you here with us and I hope to welcome you back soon and if there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a memorable three night stay at the Reef View. The staff are very helpful and pleasant. Rooms are great with a huge bathroom giving bath and shower - separate toilet. Views are fantastic. With all the facilities provided at this resort it would be very difficult to find anything to complain about. The shuttle bus service makes it easy to get anywhere but we eventually hired a golf buggy which was even more convenient to zip around. The ability to rack up purchases anywhere on the island to your room is a brilliant way to feel the carefree vibe that comes with the whole island resort experience. Food in the restaurant was always of high standard as was room service. There is a great selection of eateries around the island which cater for all tastes and budgets. All in all it is an excellent stay in a fantastic part of the world. The view from the lookout at the top of the Passage Peak walking track is stunning if you can make it up some steep bits.
Other reviewers have mentioned the maintenance issues but in reality that is an ongoing concern for any operation and can't be considered a fault since it is addressed continually as needed.

Room Tip: Rooms below about sixth or fifth floor are garden( palms ) view. Everything else has fantastic views...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!