“Noisy elevators heard in family rooms...otherwise great views”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Noisy elevators heard in family rooms...otherwise great views”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We visited Hamilton Island over the school holidays and had a wonderful experience overall. Positives: friendly staff at Reef View and local restaurants, the view was amazing from our room and plenty of activities for children. Negatives: on arrival in our 'family room' we became aware of the noise from the elevators next to one of our rooms. We were told that two of the elevators are closed at night, but the noise was still audible. Strong smell of cigarette smoke from nearby balconies also prevented us from opening doors and sitting on balcony at times. A no smoking policy in the hotel outdoor areas would improve the appeal of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank kajps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The last time I was here, I was swimming with dolphins at the main pool of the hotel. After so many years, it was wonderful to come back and see Hamilton Island again. This is not my first trip, oh no - this, like the Shangri-La Rasa Sayang in Penang (Malaysia) is my second home. A more local second home which means I have had the utmost pleasure and privilege of being able to travel to a bit of paradise not normally accessible here in Melbourne (those who live in Melbourne know of the local weather and how unforgiving it can be). Although not much has changed since the last time I was here (with the exception of dolphins in the pool, they were gone - sadly) it really was a wonderful experience to come back to such a beautiful place.

Although check in was a little bit slow, it was nice to have a bottle of wine, a card and some chocolates being delivered to our room from one of the senior staff who remembers us - even if it has been a long time since we were last there. On with the norms, though; like said before - nothing much has changed but I can guarantee you it will be one of the best holidays ever if you choose to stay at this hotel. The food can be compared to international standard. The views are simply unbeatable (unless you get stuck in a hurricane, which I had to suffer through during April). The service was above par. The other holiday goers were also very nice. The weather was excellent (except for when the hurricane came through but that was at night). 4*? This is really worthy of 5*, it is actually that great. The architecture all around the island (especially the Hamilton Island Yacht Club) is really great and neat, though the hotel does look a bit old how can you complain with sun, sand and sea right at your doorstep?

It was all nice and great, all excellent and perfect. The Perfect bit of Paradise and I seriously recommend getting one of the higher up rooms because if you happen to be staying on one of the really low floors, there is the issue of having trees and buildings blocking your view. And I *seriously* recommend doing the ATV tour to get some extremely awesome views and even a fun little surprise. Another personal recommendation, do kayaking and go all the way to the boundary to take in the resort side of the island - if you manage to do it, you'll thank me for it. ;)

(P.S. Just a side note, as logic would have it, it is best to travel to Hamilton Island during Summer, Spring and Autumn as it can get cold and wet during Winter - at least you still have 1/3rd of the year to go, right?) :D

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicholas_M983
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just spent a great week here during the school holidays. The hotel no longer seems dated or tired, it feels very fresh and bright and extremely we'll run. The staff were really helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We were on the 13th floor with a beautiful view over the spectacular bay. Stacks of activities for children and adults. Many restaurants and eating outlets to choose from on the island. Would return again in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelfreak2112
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Upon arrival first impressions of the island and hotel resort were impressive but the hotel room on the 15th floor was mixed. Coral Sea room was very spacious but a little outdated, the four star rating is correct.

Smoking is permitted on the balcony even though the rooms are non smoking. We were subject to second hand smoke from guests puffing on lower floors. Requesting a non smoking room does not mean a smoke free environment for your kids.

During our week stay we were woken by delivery trucks at 0530am every day.
Also the rooms are not that quiet, you can easily hear quests above, particularity moving of chairs on tiled floors.

The hotel facilities are excellent. Access to the pool, beach sports, gym, tennis courts and kids games is great. One issue that needs to be addressed is having better flexibility for the catamaran classes. We had to wait until the final day of our stay to use the catamaran due to the inflexible times for lessons being only 10am compounded by the issue of only being able to sail in the safe period of when wind is under 20kts and high tide 0830am to 12pm only. Planning your day around the beach sports and weather is critical.

The staff are very friendly and demonstrate the best service we have ever received compared to the major city hotels. Reef View should be very proud of the quality of their staff. They are always smiling, happy, relaxed, easy going and very professional.

Food quality at Reef View is excellent. The buffet breakfast has good variety and choice. Pool side service is very convenient and kids eat free when you buy a main meal. There is a catch though with the all important coffee. A genuine espresso (late or cap) is an extra charge. The free filtered coffee from the self service machine tastes absolutely terrible.

Overall we will recommend this hotel to friends and will be back another time. Hopefully next time the noisy trucks will be gone, the coffee machines upgraded and smoking will be banned.

Thank you Reef View for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Upgrade to higher floors and away from smokers. All rooms would be able to hear the delivery trucks...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank traveller7200
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We travelled as a party of 3 and were all astounded with Hamiltons natural beauty, there is a fantastic heaterd 34 metre pool, the breakfast is brilliant with a lovely friendly lady that makes whatever eggs you require ( she does a great florentine ). The building is pretty dated and you have to pay a bit more to get over the 6th floor but the view and sunrise are worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 123Colleen
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear 123Colleen

Thank you for both your review and for staying with us.

So happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay, the natural beauty of Hamilton Island and of course those breakfasts each day. I will be sure to pass you compliments onto my team.

Building has been “pretty dated” and we are indeed in the middle of a multi stage refurbishment. Very excited to have it all completed.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Reef View Hotel is on a beautiful island with great service and food. The room is spacious and the views are sensational. With a pool and restaurant right downstairs, easy swimming and a great breakfast are only minutes away. The breakfast is great, and it is free as well, a great meal for no cost. With the Wildlife Center and other attractions right around the corner, this conveniently placed hotel is one of the best in Australia.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam M
Dear Sam M

Thank you for your review.

A pleasure having you here with us and I thank you for your kind words.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Chickamauga, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My cousin and I went to Hamilton Island at the end of our trip at the recommendation of our Allanah at Just Sydney Tours. She helped us plan so much of our trip, and every recommendation was perfect. The hotel meets you at the airport and puts all of your luggage on a carrier and then you are transported to the hotel. Check in was very easy, as it was required to pre-pay before your stay, the only part was credit card for the extras. We had been traveling all morning and were very hungry when we got there, so we went straight to the restaurant. The food was good, but the service was a little slow but I feel that was because it was typically a slow time for the restaurant. After lunch, it was on to our room. We were on a higher floor and the view was AMAZING!! We immediately sat on our balcony just to take in the beautiful scenery. The room was large and well appointed. The bathroom was huge!! Loved the shower!! I could not adjust to the time zone even though we were already there two weeks so I was up at sunrise and what a sunrise to see from our balcony. I loved being greeted in the morning by the birds, the ocean and the color of the sunrise.

We had the breakfast plan so the first morning we went to the restaurant in the hotel. It had a huge selection of food for any tastes. Lots of fruits, which I love. We didn't have to wait long to be seated and the service was really good. The last day we ate at Hamilton Island Wildlife to have breakfast with the koalas which you can also do with the breakfast plan, and although they didn't have as much of a selection it was also memorable due to the setting.

The shuttle service ran on time and it was easy to get around the island. We opted not to get a golf buggy as we were only going to be there a short time, however, if we would have stayed longer it would have been considered. I believe the rental was around $100.00 per day for the golf carts.

We had booked all of our tours ahead of time and when we arrived we found out that our one tour had been cancelled. After being in line quite awhile we ended up doing two tours in one day. It was a full day, but we were able to go to the Reef World at the Great Barrier Reef (we took the helicopter there and boat back-we wished we had done helicopter there and back and paid the extra because the water was rough) and also a plane ride to Whitehaven Beach. (Gorgeous-do not miss) I highly recommend both of those tours!!

I am so glad we came to Hamilton Island, and I loved our stay at the Reef View Hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely get a higher floor for the view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tammy P
Dear Tammy P

Firstly let me say thank you for staying with us here at The Reef View Hotel and secondly thank you for your incredibly detailed review.

A pleasure having you here with us and I’m touched to read your stay went off without a hitch and that my team were able to make such a difference.

Flying out to the reef & the seaplane flight to Whitehaven Beach is indeed a must and I'm glad to hear you were able to experience both after having a trip cancelled.

Thank you again. I hope to welcome you back soon and if there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
Beach Club
Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!