“Expensive and disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive and disappointing”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Make no mistake, everything is expensive on hamilton island.
Hire of anything, restraunts
We stayed at the reef hotel. Cost was nearly $360 a night. While the hotel had a nice view and the beds were not too bad. It definitely wasn't worth the money.

Cleanliness, on arrival. Not good.....
Rubbish on balcony, had half fillled wine glass on table and an open half used milk in the fridge. Worst of all, airconditioning wasn't working in room. Advised reception at approx 3pm finally had someone come and attend to it at 10:30pm after multiple phone calls. No offer for another room.

Hotel is very family focused. Definitely wouldn't use it for a "couples" weekend etc as kids and hence noise were running around everywhere.

The duty manager did reimburse us one nights Accomodation when checked out after the first night dramas, so fair play to that however at over $300 a night you spect a lot better.

Overall our stay was "average". Would we stay there again. No, there is much nicer out there for the prices.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinot F
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Pinot F

Firstly I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I thank you for bringing these problems to my attention, problems that I have since discussed with my house keeping team in great length & with high severity.

I will be honest they do come as shock to me and I was disappointed to read that we had missed the mark in such a way. Our level of service certainly does not reflect or even have room for such issues & as you have mentioned from other reviews, these experiences are not common.

If there is anything further information you might have. Please don’t hesitate to email me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

I do sincerely apologise for the unsatisfactory experience that you encountered.

Warm regards

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
HAMILTON ISLAND

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 7 August 2014

A very high quality hotel that you can pick up a wonderful room for under $300 a night if booked in advance or last minute. Views to die for and the best breakfast buffet I have eaten in 15 years. Five stars.

Room Tip: Sea View Room is a must
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I have been to Hamilton Island many times and I'm sure I will go back time and time again. Skip the lead in rooms and get a coral sea view as it's worth the money. Great water pressure in the showers although not able to adjust the height. Food and drinks can be expensive but it is a island and it does have to be transported there. Rooms are large and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at the Reef View Hotel for five nights during August.
Large rooms with comfortable beds and fantastic balcony views.
It's one of only two hotels on the island with a heated outdoor pool - this was a plus for rainy and windy days that kept us off the beach.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've had ( it was thrown in for free when I booked via booking.com). Guests can also have breakfast at the Wildlife Park alongside the koalas. There is less food on offer than there is poolside but worth doing one morning for the experience.
Dinner poolside was good too - albeit pricey. I had the barramundi and my husband the veal. The room service menu was very good - I had the haloumi salad and garlic bread. Yummy.
The only negative thing I'd say is that the hotel is due for a makeover. The lobby bar is not at all enticing. I had drinks poolside instead.
All in all a very relaxing holiday. Great for couples and families. If you are single, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for the Coral Sea View Room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Canberra
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The reef is value for money. Friendly staff, good food, heated pool and large ocean view rooms. I highly recommend upgrading to ocean view room. Food on the island is not cheap, however you have plenty of options.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

One thing I didn't realise before I came here with friends for a four day weekend was that the whole island is owned by one family and effectively a monopoly. For what you have to pay it is not really great value for money. The beach is so so, very tidal with lots of rocks exposed at low tide and the irrikunji jellyfish warnings don't exactly inspire long swims in the ocean! The restaurants are eye wateringly expensive and the quality very ordinary. There are much better value options in Northern Australia.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts which are very noisy
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shane S
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

and Yes - this hotel will give you a great stay!

We have just enjoyed four days on the island and had a room at the Reef View overlooking the Coral Sea on level 11. The rooms are large, beds are comfortable and staff are friendly and very helpful.

Our package included breakfast – which was mostly disappointing. Don’t even bother with the Pool Terrance (the restaurant attached to this hotel) - the buffet breakfast was stone cold! Almost inedible! We headed to Sails restaurant the next morning and it was marginally better – we mostly used the chef to cook fresh poached eggs or an omelette. Shame about the cold bacon!

We also had issue with smokers smoking on their room balconies - there is nothing much the hotel can do about this but there were a couple of times when we had to close our doors because the smoke was coming into our room. Shame.

Having said that I can thoroughly recommend this hotel. Great service, excellent location and the free use of sail boats, kayaks, stand up boards and snorkel gear on Catseye Beach is just magical. This is a great place for families.

TIPS
Ask for above level 6 to get the best views – the higher the better!

Pay the extra for the Coral Sea View Room – waking up to the sunrise over the Whitsundays is so worth it!

Using the Charge back at most restaurants and tours is very convenient BUT check your bill daily (you can do this via the TV). I had a number of double charging and some of the tours were cancelled so I required refunds. At one point we were charged for a lunch at a restaurant we did not visit. Staff were very helpful and excellent in working through all mistakes but discussing it with them each day meant that when we did check out there was no delay.

While the buggies are fun – you do not need them! The buses are free and easy to us and very regular. We walked most places – all that food needs to be walked off!

Bommies restaurant is expensive but fantastic. Arrive early and have cocktails while watching the sunset before your meal.

Coca Chu is great modern Asian cuisine. It is very popular so make sure you book as soon as you arrive. We were there in July and it was only open for dinner.

We enjoyed lunch and morning and afternoon drinks at Sails – such a fabulous location right on Catseye Beach.

Pop Eyes Fish and Chips is a great takeaway – just watch the seagulls and cockatoos with your chips!

Make sure you head to One Tree Hill for cocktails at sunset – there is a free bus that will take you up there.

Take the time to walk/buggy up to the Chapel – again beautiful views and lovely simple chapel.
We walked to Passage Peak – it’s a good couple of hours and quite steep at the top but so worth for the spectacular views. If you head back via the beach (you have to time this at low tide) the trip back is better (and flatter!).

Hamilton Island Air took us to Whitehaven Beach in a seaplane – expensive but so worth the money!

Room Tip: Ask for above level 6 to get the best views – the higher the better! Pay the extra for the Coral...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fiona B
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Fibenton

Thank you for not only your incredibly detailed review but for staying with us at the Reef View Hotel.

It certainly sounds like you had an incredible holiday and experienced almost everything that Hamilton Island has to offer.

I was of course disappointed to learn that you experienced a few issues during your stay, but
I'm glad my teams were able to rectify the Room Charge issues easily.

I am concerned with the other issue you have raised and I shall personally pass these on to their relevant departments throughout Hamilton Island.

If there is anything further to add please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Warm regards

Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
Beach Club
Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!