“Pleasantly surprised.”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Broadbeach, Australia
“Pleasantly surprised.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked a 7 night package which included an upgrade to a Coral Sea view and daily buffet breakfast. Our room was on the 13th floor and the view was absolutely stunning. The breakfast was excellent with a wide selection. The hotel was a little dated, but never the less it felt comfortable and welcoming. The Lobby was being refurbished, so hopefully they may go through the rest of the main areas, certainly the bar and pool restaurant could do with an upgrade.
But the paintwork in our bedroom was fresh and the room very clean. We were pleasantly surprised at how BIG the rooms were. The Bathroom was superb, two vanity areas and basins, separate shower, bath and toilet. An excellent shower and wardrobe space, and a generous supply of bath and beach towels. The bedroom was just great. Two queen size (very comfortable mattresses and pillows) beds, two armchairs, a round table and chairs, plenty of space for all the paraphernalia tourists bring with them, and then the floor to ceiling window, large balcony looking out at the picture perfect view of Catseye Beach and beyond. We could not have wished for better.

All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly. Nothing was ever to much trouble.The porters do a fantastic job checking your luggage in and out. Bringing it to your room minutes after you arrive and then again, when you check out, they collect it and have it ready to go to the airport. We had read that guests sometimes had to queue for breakfast but this only happened to us on one morning and then the staff offered to take us by buggy down to Sails restaurant, where they were not as busy. (Nice touch). So we did.
We decided to have room service one evening and that came within 20 mins of being ordered and we meal was very good. Special marks for the cheeseboard being served at the room temperature and for the tasty selection of Australian cheeses.
The heated pool was a bonus as the ocean was too cold and the wind kept most outdoor activities to a minimum.
We made good use of the free shuttle bus which takes you to/from the Marina. There's also another bus which will take you on a 40 minute tour of the Island, but just be aware because it is very popular, it is often full, so it may take a few attempts to get on. We also hired one of the 1200 golf buggies on the Island, but that was more for fun, as we had seen the Island by then and there are not a lot of places to go. All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Reef View and would happily return.

Room Tip: If possible choose a room above the 10th floor (best possible view of Catseye Beach) and away from t...
2 Thank Reece G
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Reece G

What a pleasure it was not only having you here with us but to also read your review.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

I have passed on your kind words to my team and I’m as always proud to read about how well they have done and that their efforts have helped shape your holiday.

I hope to welcome you back again soon. If there is anything I can do please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Warm regards

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
HAMILTON ISLAND

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Woodend, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was our first trip to Hamilton Island. It is a nice place for a holiday with the kids, I bought a package with breakfast included and we had breakfast each day at the Pool View restaurant. The other morning we went for breakfast with the Koalas at the wildlife Park which the kids enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the $60 admission to the wildlife park which took about 5 minutes to walk through! For another $60 the kids got a photo with a koala! The room wasn't ready when we arrived which was fair enough, we were there by 11am and check in was at 2pm, check in staff advised that they would call me when the room was ready. I wasn't told that there was a space for the kids to get changed into their bathers or anything else we could do in the meantime. So I took the children off to the toliets to get changed. We then had a call that the room was ready, so I grabbed the keys, went up to the room, opened the door and there were other peoples bags in it. Back down to the pool for a quick dip and then back up to the room to finally get settled. The staff were generally pleasant. The Sails restaurant staff were lovely, the pool terrace not so and a few errors were made on our orders over the course of our stay. The Pizza restaurant was closed for renovations which was a shame as dining options with children are limited to a few. The bougainvillea pool was also closed. Thankfully the Reef View Hotel Pool was heated and the kids were happy to play in there. Overall it was an enjoyable holiday, but be prepared to pay!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators. Our room was next to them and they are noisy, also, reque...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MrsTucky
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Make no mistake, everything is expensive on hamilton island.
Hire of anything, restraunts
We stayed at the reef hotel. Cost was nearly $360 a night. While the hotel had a nice view and the beds were not too bad. It definitely wasn't worth the money.

Cleanliness, on arrival. Not good.....
Rubbish on balcony, had half fillled wine glass on table and an open half used milk in the fridge. Worst of all, airconditioning wasn't working in room. Advised reception at approx 3pm finally had someone come and attend to it at 10:30pm after multiple phone calls. No offer for another room.

Hotel is very family focused. Definitely wouldn't use it for a "couples" weekend etc as kids and hence noise were running around everywhere.

The duty manager did reimburse us one nights Accomodation when checked out after the first night dramas, so fair play to that however at over $300 a night you spect a lot better.

Overall our stay was "average". Would we stay there again. No, there is much nicer out there for the prices.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pinot F
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Pinot F

Firstly I’d like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I thank you for bringing these problems to my attention, problems that I have since discussed with my house keeping team in great length & with high severity.

I will be honest they do come as shock to me and I was disappointed to read that we had missed the mark in such a way. Our level of service certainly does not reflect or even have room for such issues & as you have mentioned from other reviews, these experiences are not common.

If there is anything further information you might have. Please don’t hesitate to email me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

I do sincerely apologise for the unsatisfactory experience that you encountered.

Warm regards

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
HAMILTON ISLAND
Reviewed 7 August 2014

A very high quality hotel that you can pick up a wonderful room for under $300 a night if booked in advance or last minute. Views to die for and the best breakfast buffet I have eaten in 15 years. Five stars.

Room Tip: Sea View Room is a must
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I have been to Hamilton Island many times and I'm sure I will go back time and time again. Skip the lead in rooms and get a coral sea view as it's worth the money. Great water pressure in the showers although not able to adjust the height. Food and drinks can be expensive but it is a island and it does have to be transported there. Rooms are large and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at the Reef View Hotel for five nights during August.
Large rooms with comfortable beds and fantastic balcony views.
It's one of only two hotels on the island with a heated outdoor pool - this was a plus for rainy and windy days that kept us off the beach.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've had ( it was thrown in for free when I booked via booking.com). Guests can also have breakfast at the Wildlife Park alongside the koalas. There is less food on offer than there is poolside but worth doing one morning for the experience.
Dinner poolside was good too - albeit pricey. I had the barramundi and my husband the veal. The room service menu was very good - I had the haloumi salad and garlic bread. Yummy.
The only negative thing I'd say is that the hotel is due for a makeover. The lobby bar is not at all enticing. I had drinks poolside instead.
All in all a very relaxing holiday. Great for couples and families. If you are single, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for the Coral Sea View Room
Canberra
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The reef is value for money. Friendly staff, good food, heated pool and large ocean view rooms. I highly recommend upgrading to ocean view room. Food on the island is not cheap, however you have plenty of options.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Heart Hotel and Gallery Whitsundays
Beach Club
Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!