“a little above average to good.. but not VERY good” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
“a little above average to good.. but not VERY good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

The good: Views, size of rooms, bed comfort, cleanliness, Buffet Breakfast choices

The Bad: hearing Katrina Rowntree every time we turned on the TV as it reverts to the hotel promo channel,
Limited free WiFi,

Failure to collect room service breakfast menu from door so (waited for breakfast for hours before finding it still hanging on the knob, in spite of the fact that it was put there at 8pm the evening before) ... subsequent try at Room Service breakfast and never again..delivered cold and very average.. stick to the Buffet folks !

HOUSEKEEPING CALLS .. (no.. I am on holidays, here to sleep and relax... and really don't wish to be woken up at 8:30 to have the towels changed.. are there no checkout rooms you can clean as a priority and give me until at least 9am to get up and about?)

$18 cocktails at the pool - straight from a blender, no garnish..just a plain frappe in a plastic cup, is a cherry or small slice of pineapple too much to ask? (so much for perpetuating that tropical holiday experience)

Most ridiculous: Having to pay for the hire of a beach locker at the kayak hire stand. I can jump on your watercraft for free, use your free towel but need to pay $5 for a half hour locker hire? Who carries money when they go to the beach anyway?....

Above all it was enjoyable but I'd not really return to this particular facility again when staying on the island as I think I'd rather pay a little more and get a lot more or hire a private home and self-provision

Room Tip: choose a high level floor.. avoid the bottom four as your views won't be anywhere near as good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TW_Yachtgal
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear TW_Yachtgal

Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay with us.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the majority of your time with us but naturally, I was disappointed to learn that you experienced a few issues. I'm sorry we missed the mark with your in room dining and I have discussed our housekeeping procedure with my heads of departments to see if we can refine this further.

I have also personally passed on your comments on the poolside cocktails and locker procedures to their appropriate managers.

If there is anything further to add please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

Warm regards

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
HAMILTON ISLAND

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Imagine our excitement to be going to Hamilton Island for a much needed 4 day break. The hotel was very expensive but I was assured we would not be disappointed. I should have known something was up when hardly anyone caught the bus to the hotel from the airport. Everyone seemed to be going to other places. All I can say is "tired". Very rundown and in dire need of a facelift. We arrived in our room to a smell of damp, cigarette smoke and a carpet so dirty you wouldn't walk on it without shoes. I rang reception straight away and complained - they reacted very quickly and changed us to another room on a higher floor. Still tired but much cleaner and the smell was not there. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - there are plenty of other places to stay at and after asking around we realised we had paid far too much. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Top floors
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CRankin56
Dear CRankin56

Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay with us.

Needless to say I am disappointed to see you experienced such issues but I’m glad we were able to have you relocated so quickly.

Warm regards

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows
HAMILTON ISLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I had a great week at the Reef View Hotel; Hamilton Island is truly a special place that is unbelievably convenient to get to from Sydney. The hotel itself is very average (dated decor, poor beds, etc.), but any negatives are easily forgotten when you pull back the blinds and look out to the Whitsunday Islands over Catseye Beach. We had breakfast included with our stay which was convenient. The buffet in the hotel has good selection but poor quality, it's definitely worth the walk to have breakfast with the koalas where there is less selection but the cooked food is much better.

The recreational activities included when staying at the Reef View make it a better than average stay. We spent hours on the catamarans, kayaks and paddle boards just enjoying the island life.

I highly recommend the hotel for families. If you're travelling as a couple (like we were) it's not ideal, but still probably the best value on the island.

Room Tip: The higher the better and ask to be away from the elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank -lost-maple-syrup-
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

The best part of the Reef View Hotel which is the view - you need to ask for a room level above 6. Our package included brunch which was excellent - enjoyed the omelets. Beds were very comfortable. Great bathroom with separate shower and bath. I would rate this as very good and would book a holiday there again.

Room Tip: Higher level room, don't expect great WIFI even if you pay for it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jmteno76
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Such a shame to have such an ordinary property in such a beautiful place. This place is in dire need of a revamp & the prices charged for the quality of the accommodation are simply too much. I guess the resort is trying to pump out every last cent before they renovate (which I understand is happening soon). Keep the balcony doors closed when you leave the room or you will have unwelcome cockatoos rifling through your things, Rooms were comfortable but unimpressive. Late on a Saturday afternoon the Main Pool ledge was littered with about 40-50 mixer and beer cans which put me off taking a dip. On a walk past about 90 minutes later, they were still there. Not very nice at all.

Room Tip: Opt for higher floors as a few of these have been renovated and are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria11K
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I recently spent 5 nights at the Reef View Hotel @ Hamilton Island.
The trip was for business, as we are a sponsor of the world famous "Audi Race Week" sailing regatta.
I have to state that the consistent improvements on the island is evident in all areas, ever since the Oatley family took over the ownership. They, along with the management team on the island have a done a magnificient job. The experience is the perfect balance of natural beauty and premium occassions and touch points.
I have stayed in this hotel many, many times over the years but have not been there for at least 5+ years, and I'm so pleased to say that firstly, the view never never gets old. One of the best in Australia!
Secondly, the recent refurb is perfect for the fit out and design of the hotel. Very good and clean.
The hotels location on the island is perfect.
The food was very good, with the breakfast buffet being one of the best I've seen in a while. Quite diverse options!
Hats off to Matt and the management team for the great service through out our stay. Top shelp!

I will be back, thats for sure as it will always be an amazing experience through out.

Hope this helps...

Cheers....Greg

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Reception friendly!
Room little dated but we'll maintained with amazing views!
Pool is great keep in mind lots of children, pool terrace restaurant food is great, we'll priced, great cocktails but service is a average. Waiter forgot condiment with no apology.

Overall very good.

Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,285 reviews

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!