“Lovely accommodation, perfect for small families.”
Review of Palm Bungalows

Palm Bungalows
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely accommodation, perfect for small families.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at the Palm Bungalows for 5 nights with our 9-month old as our first family getaway.
A high chair, port-a-cot & baby bath was organised which gave me complete peace of mind that we had everything we needed (for the baby) for the duration of our stay. Management were very helpful and very prompt with responding to my request.

Rooms were clean & comfortable, Great location - short walk to Sails (for breakfast), Catseye Beach, the Marina, Buggy Hire & Wildlife Park.
The kitchenette & appliances had everything we needed to prepare a simple dinner on the nights we chose to stay in.
We also loved spending time in the sun out on the balcony & relaxing in the hammock.
I would definitely recommend staying here to my family & friends (with or without babies/kids!)

Room Tip: Bungalows #1 - #20 are in a good location, short walk to everything you need.
2 Thank Kelly L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
North Tamborine, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I spent 4 nights in the palm bungalows and only returned home yesterday.
Working in the industry I do find myself being quite critical, but I try to stay relaxed about it all.
Our room was perfect for two (#39), large enough bathroom for two people to get ready, and a very comfortable fluffy king sized bed. The small kitchenette with toaster, kettle, microwave and two burners allows you to cook for yourself if you don't want to dine out, there's also plenty of cutlery, crockery, and cooking utensils, but only salad tongs (not metal ones), I think they'll be melted soon! The bar fridge is also big enough that you can fit a decent amount of groceries in it. The tv has channels allocated to activities on the island, with plenty of information, you can also check on your account if you have been charging things to your room. Small amount of free wifi too which is great.
Our room was serviced daily, and the ladies were happy to meet any requests we had. I found they were a little inconsistent and pushed for time, as we had wet bath mats left behind, the bin tied and left on the couch, and the chopping board put away dirty. I would have been more than happy to do our own dishes, and the only reason that concerned me was because I'd cut raw meat on the board the night before.
The hammock and small table setting on the balcony are great for a morning cuppa.
Security screens on the doors would have been great so we could have the doors open at night, but instead we had to lock the glass doors. The ceiling fan and top of the line reverse cycle were great though, and certainly helped.
The rooms have large heavy curtains to block out the morning light if you want a sleep in, and you can hear virtually nothing from outside at night.
The shower could do with a larger screen, as even when the shower was pointed back at the wall a large amount of water ended up on the bathroom floor.
We were let down by the restaurant opening hours. One was only open Thursday-Saturday, and another Tuesday-Sunday, yet the others were open but fully booked? I don't understand why you would close your doors when guests have no where else to eat, and that was with us trying to make reservations ahead of time.
We dined at Ramanos, which was exceptional. The most delicious Italian food I've had, and the service was faultless.
Golf buggies are a bit pricey at $87 a day with a $250 bond, but if you're ok in the fitness department than walking around the island is nothing and quite relaxing.
I highly recommend walking the hiking trails, hard work and takes a few hours, but the views are out of this world.
Our massages were the best I've had and the staff very professional.
We didn't care too much for how cool the water seemed, we swam at the beach almost every day. 22' is a dream compared to what we can sometimes get in QLD. You do have to pay for any of the water activities equipment but, which when I stayed at Long Island were all free.
Buffet brekky is yum! Lots of choice, make sure you get the chef to make you a fresh omelette, they're perfect.
Overall I feel the few negatives we experience were virtually nothing compared to our stay. We will certainly be back, perhaps with some friends next time.
Ps, can I suggest some small A frames to go behind the buses at the airport for shuttle to accommodation? We had no idea where to go, as did half of the other guests, and what bus to get on. A small sign with "palm bungalows" would have helped our confusion =)

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Bianca Y
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We are currently staying in Bungalow 26 at Palm Bungalows on Hamilton Island and have 5 more days of our trip to go. :( - The bungalows are perfect.
Great location, really good set up for families with a small kitchen and fridge and a short walk to everything.

It is the little things that count and one thing I thought was a nice touch was when entering our bungalow for the first time there was a hand written card and a bottle of wine from the manager. Nothing knew realise but not expected and a nice touch.

The house keepers did a great job, our room was serviced daily, we were given lots of towels and everything we asked for was done.

Only a little pint but the screen for the showers is a half screen and unfortunately water goes all over the bathroom floor but this does not take away from the experience of the stay.

Only a small thing but if you are coming to the island with a 2 - 4 year old there is not a lot for them to do, (apart from the playground and the beach) sadly none of the available pools can be paddled in as they are all too deep and also freezing. The pool at the reef view hotel is heated (just) and the only one to use as the others were too cold but again no shallow end for little ones.

Breakfast at the reef view and sails were great and had a good selection.

We would come again but not until our little one was much older and if we did would most definitely stay at Palm Bungalows.

Room Tip: We found Bunglow 26 was close to everything and very central.
1 Thank PetesPoll
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our 6 day stay at the Palm Bungalows. The rooms were spacious and the kitchenette came in handy, allowing us to cook some meals and save money. The verandah with the hammock was a lovely addition to the room. The location was good as well, allowing for easy access to different parts of the island. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scintilla85
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Scintilla85

Pleasure having you and your husband here with us.

Thank you for choosing to experience our Palm Bungalows and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Till next time.

HAMILTON ISLAND
Gisborne
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My daughter and I just loved our little bungalow. The girls did a great job everyday cleaning, it was spotless. Extra towels a lovely touch. I loved eating my breakfast on the verandah each morning amongst the beautiful tress, little wallabies, birds etc. my daughter loved the hammock to relax in. Didn't bother going over to boring breakfasts at hotel, lovely kitchenette in bungalows, enjoyed my brekky on my own private verandah, no rushing, great start to day. We were in bungalow 45, very close to pool and beach. We had a lovely little buggy, which gave us a sense of fun and freedom. Decor in bungalows was perfect, glad to see management took note of reviews and provided a table for the porch. Thank you. Romanos is exceptional for dining. My only complaint and it's a big one is WHY AREN'T THE POOLS HEATED IN WINTER ON HAMILTON ISLAND. I believe the price it costs to stay this should be a high priority. People from all over the world stay here and all complain that there are all these beautiful pools and nobody can use them. Only the Reef Pool is heated. Please do something about this as it really spoilt our time on HI, hundreds of people sitting by pool and only 1 or 2 brave enough to get in. Not good enough. I will never return again at this time of year unless these pools are heated. I bet I'm not the only person with this complaint.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in palm bungalows rather than hotel. They are just amazing.
3 Thank GisborneKelly
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Palm Bungalows, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear GisborneKelly

Thank you for your taking to review our Palm Bungalows

It certainly sounds like you had a great time away with your daughter and you paint the perfect picture of a relaxed morning. (I have to agree with your daughter the hammocks are my favourite)

As for the heating of other pools on Hamilton Island, I'm more than happy to pass on your feedback. It has been an abnormally cold winter this year.

I hope we can welcome you back soon. Perhaps in the warmer months.

If there is anything I can do for you please don’t hesitate to contact me personally via mboileau@HamiltonIsland.com.au

HAMILTON ISLAND
Whitsunday
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Enjoyed a relaxing stay in quiet surroundings in the Bungalows. Clean well presented accomodation on a very high activity island resort. The hammock on the balcony was a nice touch. No room service but only a short walk to restaurants and bars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Whitwillow
Hi Whitwillow

Thank you for your review.

A pleasure having you here with us and I'm glad you were able to enjoy our Palm Bungalows. (As for the Hammocks, I can’t think of a better place to spend a morning in the sun or a relaxing afternoon with a book)

Thank you for choosing to stay here with us. I hope to welcome you back soon.

#HAMILTONISLAND
Melbourne
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I recently had 5 nights in the Palm Bungalows on Hamilton Island.....we knew it would only be 3 star but I was very impressed with our accommodation. It was totally noise free, clean, recently redone, very comfortable bed....king size....small but good bathroom with a door to the toilet...
I have to be honest I am very fussy when I travel and don't like noise......the birds were music to my ears and as we were back a bit I felt as if I was in a tropical paradise! Breakfast was ok.....I had an omelette cooked each day and that was yummy.....the pools were large enough to find a good spot but the pool lounge chairs were quite hard, that was my only complaint. I think we would stay at the Beach a Club next time just for that extra comfort as we are needing that now we are older. It's one of the best holidays we gave had! Staff friendly, helpful and polite.Food on the Island was good.I recommend Romani's.....Italian. Loved the golf buggy's as transport, went sailing on the red catamaran to Whitehaven beach.....just a fabulous holiday, no stress getting there from Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow 48 or 49......close to everything....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,296 reviews

Been to Palm Bungalows? Share your experiences!