“Beautiful but not flawless.”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Beautiful but not flawless.”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The facilities are beautiful but we felt that the food and lack of little extras/flawless service let qualia down.

The quality of the food was hugely disappointing. One night in particular my pasta at Pebble Beach was of such poor quality and so incredibly salty I could barely eat it. Our server asked my husband about his meal and didn't even acknowledge that mine was barely eaten. Especially disappointing considering the $42 price tag. Further to that, we were served unripe avocado on at least 4 occasions. A smoothie I ordered at the pool was so chalky and tasteless it was undrinkable. I had to ask to have another one made in a different flavour.

On the upside, the breakfast appetizer platter of yogurt, fruit and muesli bar was fabulous and a very nice touch.

We felt that the lunch and dinner menus at Pebble Beach should be different and offer more variety and better value. Long Pavilion's menu didn't appeal to us as I am pregnant and couldn't eat half of the items listed.

The tv screens on all of the treadmills didn't work properly- the picture was wavy and unwatchable.

Finally, we paid $1500 a night for a pavilion with a pool, and unfortunately there was no direct sun for most of the day. Perhaps an hour at most. We felt this negated the whole purpose of having the pool and wish we hadn't paid a premium for it. Also thought it would be helpful to have an in room compendium with more information, such as restaurant menus, tv instructions, how the golf buggy is charged each night, and the function of the do not disturb button, etc.,

Housekeeping was good except for leaving bits and pieces of their equipment in the bushes next to our path (a dust mop one day, a loofa another).

We also felt that the amenities at the pool could be better. A nicer quality sunscreen, having cold towels or fruit passed around is another nice touch we have experienced at other luxury resorts.

Overall, beautiful stay but the devil is in the details.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear cupcake-c,

Thank you for your detailed review of qualia. It’s great to hear that you had a relaxing stay with us that was very good overall. You’ve raised a few points so I’ll do my best to address them.

Let me first apologise for the unsatisfying pasta dish that you were served at our Pebble Beach restaurant as well as the lack of acknowledgement from the waiter. I was surprised to read about your experience as I’ve been hearing great feedback from guests about the restaurant lately. I’ve spoken to the Pebble Beach team specifically about your review and I’m confident that the experience won’t be repeated for future guests.

Thank you for your comments about our breakfast appetiser platter. We find that giving guests a selection of light items at the table as soon as they sit down as well as the continental buffet and A la carte selection of traditional hot dishes covers everything a guest could want. Guests are able to sit and enjoy breakfast for as long as they want and can order extra items if they like.

I’m sorry about your experience with the screens on the treadmills. We had a temporary technical issue with them but I’m happy to say that they’re all fixed and working properly now.

All of our pavilions are individually positioned to take advantage of spectacular views. Windward Pavilions (with the plunge pools) are all on the North side of the ridge and generally face north east or north west to capture the sun. At various times of the year there will be different periods when each pavilion gets full sun on the plunge pool.

I’m happy to tell you that we’re placing new compendiums in our pavilions this week. We’ll also be looking at making this available online.

Finally, we actually do offer cold towels and fruit at the qualia pool – I’m at a loss to explain why you didn’t get them. In light of your feedback, I’ve instructed my team to renew their focus on the area around the pool to ensure that no guest misses out.

While I’ve focussed on addressing the issues that you’ve raised during your stay at qualia, I understand that you were generally happy with your stay at qualia. I hope that my responses have helped to answer some of your questions and concerns. If there is anything else that you’d like me to look into, please email me. I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to qualia one day.

qualia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I have written a previous review on the Qualia, the great resort and the special staff. This trip we stayed in a Leeward room which is not as special as the windward rooms but still simply amazing. We stayed longer this time, three days, and used the package deal known as an Island Interlude. This included a gourmet meal, a sunset cruise and a picnic beach drop off.

We used the gourmet meal at the long pavilion for the degustation menu. While this is simply called a tasting menu, the skill, presentation and quality completely eclipses this most understated menu description. The meal, which does take a little while, is a gastronomical adventure. While there may be an ingredient or two that will challenge some, the overall effect more entertainment than simply eating.

The sunset cruise was on a spectacular motor yacht and here was no shortage of snacks and fantastic wine. Once again the qualia staff were there to provide the no fuss, fantastic service that is so easy to get very used to... The boat stays fairly close to the island so you get to have a good look at qualia from the water.

Finally the beach picnic was great fun. The tide and the weather did let us down a little, as there was a bit of wind and as the tide limited options a little we did not have the beach to ourselves as expected. That said it was great to have our picnic of seafood, salad, fruit, and cheese while sitting on an island beach in the Whitsundays. We hit a little rain storm on the way back and the folks on the boat did all that could be done to make us comfortable.

Qualia is a special place but as I have said before not only because of the great facilities but principally because of the amazing staff - even the gardeners make you feel like a special guest.

Room Tip: While the Leeward rooms are great spend the extra for a windward if you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear ejboyd,

Thank you for writing yet another 5 star review of qualia. It was a pleasure having you stay and we were especially happy to see you so soon after your last stay with us only a few months earlier.

It’s really rewarding for both my staff and myself to read such great feedback about the food, service and activities that we offer. We all work hard for our guests to ensure that their stay is as good as your experience was and positive feedback is very motivating.

The packages on our website such as the Island Interlude are great ways to experience different aspects of qualia and they also offer some great savings. We also offer a packages that include treatments at Spa qualia or rounds of Golf at the Golf Club on neighbouring Dent Island. I was speaking with a young couple recently that had booked the 7 night Honeymoon package and they were very happy with it. The honeymoon package includes the Sunset Cruise and Beach Drop-Off that you experienced but it also includes a special private poolside dinner, and they told me that it was one of the most romantic dinners they’d had.

You have my personal email address, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can assist with. My staff and I look forward to your next visit.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We had very high expectations - and they were met. Only complaint was that the "private beach" drop off didn't end up being private with a boat load of other visitors arriving not long after we did. Three nights was the perfect length of stay - relaxing, eating and chilling out. An excellent break.

Room Tip: I think the Windward Suites are worth the extra money you pay.
2 Thank SydTraveller_12
Dear SydTraveller,

It’s wonderful to hear that your high expectations were met during your recent stay at qualia. I’m blessed with a really great team of professionals and they deserve a lot of the credit and praise that we have been receiving lately.

I also note your comments with regard to the Beach Drop Off. We only have limited selection of beaches available at any time due to tide and safety factors. This is the same for other visitors and locals alike. Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee that the beach selected is going to be private. I do apologize that this was not explained more clearly to you, and that your experience was not as you expected. I trust that this didn’t impact your enjoyment too much and I hope that you will be back in future.

Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This was our 2nd trip to Qualia & even though the first trip was fabulous it was even better this time. The service, food, rooms & resort itself are outstanding. We were made to feel like royalty throughout our stay.

Whilst you are there you have to try their degustation menu, allI can say on this is WOW!!!! We have been to a few fine dining experiences but his one topped it off.

We also did Champagne & Oyster tasting with Joe which was an outstanding experience & one I would highly reccomend. we had a couple of minor service issues at the pool area but when i completed a survey at the end of our stay we recieved an email back from their General manager apologising & thanking us for our feedback.

All in all we had an incredible 3 days at Qualia & intend to go back next November for our next Wedding Anniversary

Dear 658842Brian65,

Thank you for posting your review of qualia. I’m really delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us.

As I said in my email to you, I do appreciate feedback on any issues that our guests have, no matter how minor they are. This feedback allows my staff and I to be aware of nearly everything that the guest may experience during their stay with us. This knowledge, in turn allows us to see things from the guest’s perspective and helps us to deliver on our promise of quality service.

It’s great that you were able to try both the champagne and oysters “Talk and Taste” event and the degustation menu. I often hear wonderful feedback, especially from our foodie guests about both. The “Talk and Taste” events are very interesting and Joe does an excellent job of making the experience fun and informative. We also do a sake and sashimi “Talk and Taste” event as well as one that concentrates on cheese and wine. I’d encourage you to try one of those as well when you come back next year – you’ll definitely learn a lot!

We’re looking forward to having you both back with us next November. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or requests when you’re planning your third stay at qualia.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Amazing food, staff and accommodation. Golf buggies made for excellent entertainment, 2 different restaurants kept dinning interesting and copious amounts if verve kept everybody happy. We really enjoyed breakfast. Melbourne quality coffee with soy milk was quite surprising. Highly recommend the helicopter morning trip to the Great Barrier Reef.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear ElzSherry,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

As you mention, there are two dining venues within qualia’s walls (the two being Long Pavilion and Pebble Beach) but don’t forget that there are many more restaurants on Hamilton Island that are only a short buggy ride away. I’ve heard great things about Coca Chu (Hamilton Island’s new Asian-fusion restaurant) from some of my guests and Bommie Restaurant at the Yacht Club is always a popular option for a special dinner. In fact, Bommie Restaurant recently won an award for being the Best Tourism Restaurant in Queensland.

I’m glad to hear your description of our coffee as “Melbourne quality”! We have very experienced baristas and use the best quality beans and equipment to ensure that our coffee-fanatic guests aren’t longing for their favourite cafe during their stay with us. In fact, Single Origin Roasters create a bespoke blend for us to use at qualia, so our guests can enjoy coffee that is both excellent and unique.

Thank you for staying at qualia and I certainly hope to see you again soon.

Charlbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2012

After reading all the 5* reviews on trip advisor we were a little worried that our expectations would be too high. We need not have worried, this place is as good as everyone says. As soon as you step of the plane you are treated very well and ALL of the staff are very nice, friendly and welcoming.

Some people have marked this resort down a little bit on its choice of food. I don't think that is fair really as there is plenty of choice across the resort and the whole island. The food at the Long Pavillion is fine dining and amazing. The Pebble Beach and room service menus are more relaxed but equally as yum (amazing fries!) plus there are endless eating options across the island, including the golf club on the neighbouring island (all can charge direct to your room). I would say there is something for everyone.

We DO recommend paying for Qualia's organised events like the food experiences or the sunset cruise. It turns out very good value for money as they keep the drinks flowing very well! Also make sure you don't miss out on the Managers drinks at the long pavilion.

A few thank you's:

> Michael the manager was very friendly and helpful.

> Joe who did our wine and cheese experience was good fun, knowledgable and left most of the bottles with us to finish

> Paul the barman for topping us up so frequently during managers drinks

> Rex in the watersports department who was excellent in taking us out on one of the catamarans (highly recommended)

1 Thank Tibbs1980
Dear Tibbs1980,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding qualia. Our guests do indeed have very high expectations and we try hard every day to live up to them, which as you can imagine, is a very difficult thing to do!

While the dining options at qualia are excellent, sometimes guests simply feel like a pizza or a steak for dinner. As all qualia pavilions come with a buggy, guests have easy access to all of the other restaurants on Hamilton Island. There is actually a wide range of cuisine including Italian, Asian-Fusion and Modern Australian and so guests have a good selection of restaurants if they decide not to dine at qualia.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the activities that we have at qualia. We always aim to ensure that guests feel like they are getting good value and are feeling welcomed.

The Manager’s Drinks are held every Thursday and are a great chance for me to get to know our guests better. The atmosphere is very relaxed and Paul and I always make sure we keep the drinks flowing freely.

Thank you for staying at qualia and for joining me for the Manager’s Drinks. You’re always welcome to come back and stay with us in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed at Qualia for the "Pas de duex in Paradise" for the weekend of November 16-18th.
Fantastic surroundings, superb service and unable to fault in any way. Great pavilions, view, and local activities. Ring early to get a Whitehaven Beach transfer.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Melbtravellers_7,

Thank you for your review of qualia and the ballet event that we hold at qualia in conjunction with the Australian Ballet.
The Pas de duex in Paradise weekend is such a unique event and many guests tell me that they have never seen anything like it. This year was particularly special as it was the Australian Ballet’s 50th anniversary and also the 5th year of the event.
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the experience and I hope that you will be able to attend next year also.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton Island
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!