“Fantastic”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Papua New Guinea
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Nestled into the hillside, overlooking the Whitsunday islands, with a balcony large enough to hold recliners, tables and chairs, our bedroom villa was beautifully designed, maintained and serviced. This is the best we have experienced in Australia and is highly recommended for that special holiday or event. Service was exceptional. In particular Hannah, who assisted in making everything perfect before we arrived, and Michelle who managed our evening meal so well on a celebration day. The island is not all that large, but has a range is activities including water activities, a range of pools and restaurants, cruises and the various activities around the Whitsundays, walks etc. Getting around the island is by golf buggies, which is rather fun.
The resorts pool was excellent, the main restraint was superb, with an inventive menu based on unusual Australian ingredients- the degustation menu is highly recommended.
This is a special place.

Room Tip: All rooms look out to sea views. No children are allowed at this resort.
4 Thank sharri
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear sharri,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay at qualia with the Tripadvisor community.

There are indeed a lot of activities to get involved with on Hamilton Island (over 60 in fact) and qualia guests have access to all of them as well as exclusive the qualia activities and tours.

I’ll be sure to mention your review to Hannah and Michelle and thank them for a job well done when I see them next.

I’m glad to hear that you loved qualia and Hamilton island so much and I hope that we will be able to host you again soon.

qualia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
california
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We spent the last 5 days of a 21 day vacation to Australia. When I planned this trip I wanted to relax at a top notch resort to finish off 3 weeks of traveling. Qualia did not disappoint. We stayed on the windward side with our own plunge pool. The views are spectacular, opening your eyes in the morning to a view that could be a postcard photo is amazing. The cost of the room is expensive but you get your money's worth here. I can't think of one thing they didn't think of for their guests comfort, in room music throughout, docking with your iPhone/ iPad, spacious well appointed bathrooms, comfortable bed and isolation from other pavilions so you feel complete privacy. Your provided with a golf cart for transportation on the island.

The only reason I didn't give Qualia 5 stars was the service. The service was good, we had no bad encounters, I just didn't think it was on par with the quality of the resort. We were picked up at the airport, brought to the resort without touching our luggage, they retrieved it from the plane and it was in our room when we got there. At the resort we were greeted by management and staff then given a glass of champagne. We waited approximately 20-25 minutes to be checked in. The process is upon arrival is you are greeted, given a glass of champagne, and sit with staff to discuss your stay, what activities you would like to do etc.. Waiting 20-25 minutes with a glass of champagne and a beautiful view is not torture but after flying in and the temperature being what it was that day we wanted to get to our room. Upon check-in I felt there was a bit of pressure to book our activities, nothing extreme just not what I expected. When check-in was complete we were told our room wasn't ready, it was around 1:30 so we went to get some lunch at Pebble Beach, a resort restaurant. The food was good but I thought $42 for a pork sandwich was a bit over the top. The other issues were the first full day we had to call 3 times to get the room serviced, we asked for a 11am room service and were woken up on days 3 and 4 at 9AM asking if we're ready to have the room serviced. Everyone was very polite and helpful, I think Qualia like all well run organizations is constantly trying to improve and I'm sure they will get these small kinks worked out.

We chose to take a helicopter to the reef and back, having a helicopter pad at the resort made it very convenient.

We also enjoyed a couples massage at the spa, both the spa facilities and staff were first rate.

The positives far outweigh the negatives, I would hesitate to come back or recommend staying here.

2 Thank James R
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear James R,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. It’s great to hear that you were blown away by the views from your pavilion and that your time at qualia was special for you.

I apologise if you felt pressured in any way to book activities during your check in – that is certainly not the purpose of this introduction. The activities and tours available are discussed at this time in order to make new guests aware of everything available to them during their stay at qualia. Tours and activities can fill up fast and experience has taught us that making reservations at the beginning of a stay avoids disappointments due to booked-out tours and activities.

Also, I completely understand that after a long flight guests may be eager to get into their pavilion straight away. However, please keep in mind that check in time at qualia is 2pm. We do not control what time guests arrive as flight schedules are set by the airlines. As checkout time is 11am and we have to take time to clean vacated rooms to our high standards, the pavilion may not be available if guests arrive before the 2pm check in time. If the pavilion isn’t ready, guests often take their golf cart for a test drive and explore the Island or have lunch at one of the restaurants. All of our facilities such as Spa qualia and our pools are also available to use while waiting for your pavilion.

I’m sorry for the issues with room service not following your instructions for an 11am service. We have recently been talking about what improvements we can make to some of our housekeeping processes and we’ll now be looking at better communication about requested servicing times as well.

I’m happy to read that you think that qualia is a “well run organization” and you’re absolutely right; we are always trying to improve on everything we do. We have a culture of constant improvement that runs throughout the resort and often it is the more junior staff that come up with the best ideas to make the experience that little bit better for our guests.

I assume that you meant to write “wouldn’t” rather than “would” in your last sentence. I certainly hope so because we always love seeing returning guests.

Singleton
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My Wife and I chose Qualia for our honeymoon. Everybody was so nice and helpful from Champagne on arrival to free use of a golf buggy and wonderful breakfast everyday the resort was a joy to stay at. We really enjoyed the free soft drinks and choice of latest movies. The view from our room was great as was from almost anywhere at Qualia whether from the pool or the pavilion.

The only downside is everywhere on the island from Qualia to the local shops on the island are 10-15% more expensive than on the main land

But even so the place was great and we would and have recommend Qualia to friends and family

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Clinta1
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed for anniversary June 2012 in Windward Pavillion. Rooms and view excellent. Service of a standard expected for a resort of this expense. Enjoyed our stay. Worth saving up for. Golf course views amazing.... bring a few balls! Hopefully will return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scottmelon
Dear scottmelon,

Thank you for giving us 5 stars in your review. I’m delighted to see that your anniversary went well and I appreciate you choosing to stay at qualia for this special occasion.
It’s good to hear that you enjoyed the golf course. If you visit Hamilton Island, you need to go there at least once – it’s such a unique course and one of the most visually stunning in the world. A recent guest who was a keen golfer described it to me as a "bucket-list course" and I think that's pretty accurate.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 February 2013

This is a "do not miss" wonderful resort, thoughtfully designed with private, peaceful views from every venue. We had a Windward Pavilion (#13) with a plunge pool. Staff was extremely attentive but never obtrusive, food excellent, amenities, etc. Great deep tissue massage at the spa. Seamless coordination with local business who simply bill back to Qualia. The only mistake we made was moving over to Hayman (which might have been great at one point, but seems very dated and tired compared to Qualia, which incidentally was $200 less per night for a much superior accommodation!) NOTHING negative to say (and we travel extensively to similar properties). Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: From the layout of the property it appears every pavillion has total privacy and great views. we fac...
2 Thank CarolynLee007
Dear CarolynLee007,

What a wonderful review! My staff and I really appreciate you sharing your experience of qualia and I’m very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your choice to stay with us.
Here is my email address: mshah@qualia.com.au . When you are ready to think about booking your next stay with us, please email me and I will be more than happy to assist with your booking.

Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I took my partner for his big 0 birthday to Qualia a total surprise trip. An expensive one but after staying 5 days there I had NO regret spending my money for this trip. The villa was beautiful facing the sea with its own pool. Service is top class - nothing was too much to ask. Food was extremely good, imaginative and unique in the choice of spices (I was born in France, I love my food and spend 30 years there and my job gave me the opportunity to go to the best restaurants)
(try the sous vide cooking of the lamb).
For his birthday evening dinner which took place in the pavilion, despite I organized the candles/flower petals he and I were stunned by the effect (the heart shaped flower petals on the bed) and the candles, dinner great food and the superb service done by Jesse not intrusive and very professional. A compliment to the staff but also the Management which has done a great job in achieving the award of this resort the best one in the world in 2012 now I understand why and it is well deserved. And lucky we were the weather was superb!!. Martine P
re Jellyfish avoid summer unless you use swimming suit

Room Tip: For Jellyfish avoid summer If you can avoid go to villas 3 to 6 facing sea and own spa
2 Thank MartineCheval
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Wonderful resort / everything is Top
A single regret : sea "unpracticable" because No visibility (2-3 meters) and a lot of jellyfish.
Probably not the right time to come...?
And not the right place for diving (see my review on H2O)

• Stayed February 2013
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!