“Gorgeous property, stunning views, inconsistent customer service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Qualia Resort

and 1 more site!
Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Portland, Maine
“Gorgeous property, stunning views, inconsistent customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a gorgeous property, the rooms are amazing, the beaches pristine. Close to the whole package - but not quite in two areas. We found the food to be good, but not great, which for a resort of this caliber was disappointing. And customer service was very inconsistent. Some staff were absolutely lovely, helpful, genuine. Others said the right things, but it really seemed ingenuous and felt like we were bothering them if we asked a question. Sometimes the room was made up, sometimes it wasn't. We ordered a drink by the pool and waited 45 minutes before going back to the bar and inquiring about it...and then waited another half an hour...still no drink...requiring another trip back. (All of this a time when there were only three couples in the pool area and the bar wasn't at all busy..?) Nearly the same type of service at the lunch restaurant - no smiles, no check in to see how things were or if things were needed, half an hour to get a soda. On the flip side, Rex, who took us out for a boat ride and dropped us off on another island (take advantage of this!!!) was fabulous and gave us a wonderful tour. So perhaps it is luck of the draw as to who you come in contact with. If these details were attended to, then perhaps it would merit the Traveler's Choice Award. But not quite for me this time...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GoldenLover63
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Goldenlover63,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. It is clear that in general you enjoyed much of your time with us - most notably your private beach drop off which is always a firm favourite activity with a great many guests. I am grateful too for your kind words of encouragement to Rex - a terrific, competent and such an enthusiastic coxswain on our team.

Your kind comments were nevertheless overshadowed by the experiences you recorded in respect of the quality of our cuisine you sampled and moreover some inconsistent service that you experienced. I am both surprised and obviously very disappointed that you were made to feel as if you were a ‘bother’ at any stage during your stay in any part of the resort.

A new Restaurant Manager in charge of Pebble Beach and Poolside has just in the past month commenced with us. I am confident that such attitudinal issues as you experienced are isolated and hopefully very much a thing of the past. I do however wish to apologise that your experience of qualia was soured in such a way.

Kind regards,

Matthew Taverner
General Manager – qualia

Hamilton Island

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Kalvehave, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Windward Pavillion no. 8, a beautiful and an amazing experience. The view was superb, the Pavillion just lovely, nice and clean.
We loved spending time in the Pavillion.

We enjoyed Long Pavillion Dining and Pebble Beach Dining the food was great - complement to the chef and staff.

The breakfast area is lovely, but the service wasn't very good, far between a good smile, and some of the young people forgot what you ordered, and some days you were not offered coffee or tea, you had to remind them! The breakfast was great as all food was at Qualia Resort.

The room service was not good enough, we had a few hic ups, which would be so easy for the management to avoid if they had a checklist. It happened twice, where they failed with the roomservice, second time they didn't charge us for the meal, which was appreciated.

The day we arrived, and we stayed for 7 nights, they asked if we would like to have the newspaper delivered to our Pavillion, yes please, I think it only happened 3 days out of 7, where we had our newspaper. Then don't ask.

The same happened up at the reception, twice the staff came and asked if they could offer us a drink, while we were waiting, yes please, both times we never had any, then it is much better not to ask your guests.

It is an expensive, but wonderful experience to visit Qualia, and we come from all over the World to visit your Resort, so I hope for the management, above mentioned issues will be improved till we return.
Wish Qualia Resort and its staff all good luck for the future.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicki E
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We booked Qualia to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary after we honeymooned on Bedarra Island in 2003. Instead of returning to Bedarra, we decided to try Qualia as an equivalent option. Well it has not disappointed. We booked a Windward pavillion. The moment we walked in, I could not stop saying OMG. It is breathtaking, the views I can't describe and the photos don't do it justice. Huge rooms, open space, pure luxury - but that view. Wow. From the moment you get off the plane and a greeted by Qualia staff, whisked off to the resort, greeted by Charles Heidsleck champagne. Jaw dropping stuff. Service amazing. Attention amazing. Privacy amazing. I agree that with other reviews - you can not explain the feeling of Qualia. Just book. Don't worry about the $ - I actually feel it is a great value for money. Relax, enjoy feeling like a celebrity and do as much or as little as you like. Breathtaking. Beautiful. Weather perfect - approx. 30 degrees while here in early Nov. Just book! Splurge! Enjoy. You will remember this for a lifetime.

Room Tip: Windward room 15 amazing view, very private, close to the day spa & main area. Can't imagine...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie M
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I have just spent 4 magical days here, once you enter the gates, a sense just flows over you, and to be honest apart from tranquility I can not explain what it is. Indeed it lives up the the name "Qualia"

From the moment we were greeted, we arrived from Hayman Island, to the moment we departed everything was perfect. The champaign certainly flows, and quality champaign as well.

We had a " Windward Pavilion" , the views, the room everything was perfect, just the little things like the fact they have both bath sheets, and bath towels, a number of face clothes, beautiful toiletries. The room is serviced twice a day, although sometimes a little late, however, there was the chance to request a certain time for servicing, we didn't bother requesting a time as we really didn't care.

We fell in love with our little "buggy" it zipped us here there and everywhere, a lot of fun.

Although we had a plunge pool, it was a little bit cool to use, we jumped in the first day, but after that we went to the main pool by pebble beach, again, wonderful with service, and even treated to lovely ice creams. Again, it's the little things that make it special.

Now as for Hamilton Island, I really don't think I would stay on the main part, it's not really for me, however, I was quite content to be locked behind the Jurassic Park gates at Qualia, and do absolutely nothing.

To summarise our stay at Qualia, I would say " Simply Magnificent"

Room Tip: If u can afford a Windward room, that is what I would recommend, not only does it have the pool, t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Wollongong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife & I have stayed in a number of very nice places some also catering for over 16's only but have never seen anything like Qualia.
The level of service from the staff and quality of the resort we believe is unparallelled.
I can't imagine myself traveling overseas to look for anything above the standard of this resort.
We will of course be returning.

Room Tip: I doubt you will find a bad room at this resort they are separate pavilions and all have amazing vie...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I don't think I have ever received service like it. Almost collected from the plane, told that my luggage would be collected for me, whisked off to the resort and a glass of real champaign in my hand and a moment to relax and take in the view before my checkin process began.

The resort itself is breathtaking. I had convinced myself we were in a windward pavilion which included a plunge pool but it transpires we were in the slightly cheaper Leeward which was still stunning. V large sitting area, free soft drinks and juices in the room and all the amenities you could ask for. And again a bottle of real champaign to welcome us.

You don't get soap in qualia, oh no, you get a cleansing slab!

The view was stunning with our large balcony which was great to watch shooting stars from at night. The balcony was covered and we both commented that it would be great if you could open it up more to get a better view of the stunning nights sky.

Breakfast is great as well, particularly the pancakes which I will miss.

This wouldn't be a useful review if I didn't give the full warts and all account, particularly given the cost of the hotel, so hear goes.

Firstly the food, I loved dinner in both restaurants however even the brassiere food was overly fussy. I enjoy experimenting and appreciated the full vegetarian menu however my partner is the opposite and, although the staff were helpful, gets stressed up ask for alternative options. The menus could be strengthened with a few slightly more basic meals (particularity the brasserie at pebble beach where you would naturally assume a simpler menu). I also have never not finished a dessert in my life but one we got was truly awful. Even our waitress commented it was one of their most 'interesting' choices but she did not offer to replace and we were charged the full amount for it.

The main pavilion has a beautiful pool and sun deck but it's not actually used (or at least wasnt though our stay).

The gym is small and only has free weights for the fitness fanatics amongst you. The main pool is amazing, full length with spectacular views, the drawback is that it's annoyingly close to pebble beach brasserie and lots of people like to eat early so it felt a little uncomfortable swimming past 6pm.

Finally, and my biggest bugbear, the island itself. Unless you are very well organised you can end up having no dinner! The marina reminded me of downtown mainstreet Disney and this was confirmed by the pizza cafe when our Qualia breakfast waitress came bounding over to tell us that she served us a latte and flat white that morning and what would we like for dinner. She confirmed that all the properties are owned by one person. We met fellow qualia guests that night who could not get anywhere for dinner and ended up with chips for tea. On the night we decided to eat out 2 of the main restaurants were closed. V odd considering the hotels are all linked so they must understand demand. Having said that the full restaurants never look that busy. I got the feeling that, and call me paranoid, the island is attempting to make itself look busier and therefore more exclusive than it is in reality. The problem is that if you are told on arrival that there is nowhere for dinner that evening, even in your own hotel, oh and by the way you are on an island so ya boo sucks - doesn't feel particularly welcoming or well organised.

Tours are just as bad and need booked well in advance.

There is also no beach to speak of which surprised me greatly. Access to water sports the key reason I chose the island. The little bits of beach available warned that stingers were prevalent!

In short, if you are the type of person who is happy to arrive in a hotel, enjoy the pool and the facilities for a few days then perfect, for the more adventurous, limit your trip to a few days max and plan your time well in advance!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank gster1977
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband travelled from Mexico for our Honeymoon to Australia, and we choose Qualia because of its many awards and recognition since it is a Relais and Chateaux hotel.

The staff was amazing and really kind
But when we got to our Windward Pavillion everything changed, the views were amazing, we stayed at number 15 but the bushes amd trees were not trimmed enough so the view was partially blocked and since we saw all the pictures in this website and the hotel website our room
Wasnt supoosed to be like that. We surely payed a lot for it. The next fay we realized our pool area on the outside of the pavillion never got cleaned the floor was full of footsteps and dust.

Thw matress was not comfortable at all. But anyway our stay was really great its just that we expected more from this place since just last year it was awarded by Conde Nast as the Best Resort in the World.

The food was amazing and the staff too. We complaint about the views and since we stayed for four days they told us on the second day they were going to change us but they never got back to us for this matter.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Coral Point Lodge
Coral Point Lodge
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!