“5 STARS FOR EACH STAR, THAT'S 25 STARS” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Woy Woy, Australia
“5 STARS FOR EACH STAR, THAT'S 25 STARS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

From the minute we entered the gates of qualia we left all that we need to rest from behind. Our concierge Patrick attended to our every need with his "Not a problem we can do that" attitude and a genuine smile that relaxed us even further, knowing that our stay was in complete autopilot with nothing for us to do but indulge all our senses. The service is impeccable, the facilities faultless and the food gastronomically incredible. "5 STARS FOR EVERY STAR @ QUALIA" Australia's only 25 star resort!

Room Tip: Windward Pavilions are the choice, plunge pool, outdoor shower, everything has a northerly view of t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

The location of the resort is great and the staff were very friendly but I found the service a bit mixed.

We visited qualia for a week and only once during that time did any of the pool staff come over to my sun lounger and ask if I would like a drink. A bit frustrating to have to go to the bar every time I got thirsty, and, when staff at these types of hotels are supposed to focus on service, it did start to annoy me as our stay went on.

The housekeeping / turn down staff were again very friendly but there is no obvious system to how they work or on what timetable - sometimes they come, sometimes they don't! For instance, we returned to our pavillion a few times late in the afternoons to find our room hadn't been cleaned.

The hotel manager held drinks on the helipad which were nice but I noticed that he didn't speak to all the guests, which does not seem the mark of a good host to me.

The bigger gripe was when we found that there was a work party staying at the hotel for a couple of nights. At first it was amusing to hear some of them trying to show off about how much they earned in commission from the insurance company that was paying for their stay. However, when we had dinner we saw some of them spitting over the balcony when they were smoking which obviously shattered the atmosphere when we were trying to eat!

After dinner we were trying to have a post-dinner drink in the long pavillion but it was clear that the focus was with the work party - perhaps generating greater drinks revenue that the guests on holiday. I noticed that our drinks had been poured but were sitting on the bar with no one seemingly interested in bringing them over so I had to go and get them myself!

We went back to our pavillion shortly afterwards but at around 1.30am a drunk party goer was wandering around for a while outside our room; he even tried our door when he is was trying to find his way back to where he was staying. My wife found it very unsettling when he tried to get in but I found it quite funny, especially when he shouted sorry in a drunken voice through the door. We have all been there.

Anyway, my wife rated it as one of her favourite hotels in the world and I am sure that she will want us to go back. Our views obviously differ, but if she insists we return I'll just make sure to check that there are no work parties!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank siriain
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Siriain,

Thank you for choosing qualia and taking the time to write this review.

Naturally I am disappointed to hear that our service was not delivered to the high standards expected by our guests and indeed the team itself and I have followed this up with the departments involved.

I am pleased that you were able to join us for drinks on the helipad whilst you were here. It is always my intention that I do try to speak with all guests who join our modest cocktails; and unfortunately I do regret this is not always possible. I apologise that I was not able to meet with you personally.

I also appreciate your feedback regarding the small group that was staying over the same period as you. A very small part of qualia's overall guest mix come from small corporate and incentive groups; the large majority being FIT guests such as yourselves. We appreciate some of the dynamics around the resort do alter somewhat when a group is in house:- a group of 15-20 together inherently make more noise for example; but we are mindful to cater to every guest's needs. Our team will ensure we manage their time between all our guests better in future.

I am delighted to hear that in general your wife very much enjoyed her stay. I hope we might improve on your concerns the next time we hope to have the pleasure of your company.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

From the airport pickup, the champagne reception and the wonderful grounds and pavilions, this had all the makings of a heavenly stay.

The vast majority of the staff were friendly and efficient, from the kiwi university students doing work experience, up to Mathew the general manager.

My wife was entranced by the wildlife. On a rainy morning sitting in the lounge area of the Long Pavilion we were able to watch a Wallaby nibbling at the plants in front of the pool, and a nightly treat was driving the golf buggy the long way around from our pavilion so we could pass the stretch of grass favoured by another Wallaby and the occaisional possum.

The food at the beach restaurant was good, with reasonable service. Breakfast in the Long Pavilion was excellent, although there was one morning when service went completely to pot and it took 35 minutes to get a cup of coffee. It seemed the regular staff were on their day off and the stand-ins just couldn't cope. Dinner (twice) in the Long Pavilion was excellent, well paced service and very helpful advice from the somellier.

The service at the pool area and around the pool was also excellent, when Jess was working, on her day off her replacement was more interested in ignoring people.

My wife had a very legitimate grumble about the pavilions, she wears long dreses and there is nowhere in the wardrobes to hang anything longer than a decent sized jacket. What we ended up with was dresses hanging from the hooks around the bathroom, not ideal.

It would suggest that the design was done by a man.

One other annoying thing was that our television was not working properly, neither the TV channels or the on-demand movies (which in themselves are an excellent touch and included a number of just released movies). Ok, it got fixed, but it required two visits by the tec, and then another the following day to fix the ipod volume. My point is that this should have been checked by housekeeping/management before we took residence. If you are paying top dollar for a 5* resort you expect everything to be checked out before a guest arrives.

After driving the buggy to a restaurant on a damp evening, we were slightly surprised that the waitress said she would call Qualia to have us picked up. In itself this was an excellent service, however it would have been more appropriate if we had been told of the service before finding it for ourselves.

All in all we loved the place, and it just about delivers value for money, but Mathew, you still need to get consistant across the board service in place.

Room Tip: Unless you really need your own private pool, and therefore a slightly smaller deck, the standard pa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim W
Dear Jim W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is great to hear you generally enjoyed your stay with us and that some of our resident wildlife was able to make several appearances! No doubt with one of my abundant but no less prized spider lilies between its premolars!

I offer my apologies that a few elements of your stay and information on our 24 hour concierge service were not delivered in our usual high level of standards - a matter I will personally follow up with the teams involved. At our end of the hospitality business, my motivation is about ensuring that final 2% of the experience is as seamless as the other 98%. Consistency as you rightly point out is what it is all about and this comes through tenure, experience and training.

It is also wonderful nevertheless to hear feedback on team members who do impress. I will be delighted to pass your feedback onto our sommelier James and to Jess. Serving around poolside at this time of year can be hot and exhausting work. She copes with it with aplomb!

I understand your wife’s frustrations about a lack of full length hanging space in your pavilion and as I intimated -it is an issue but one which has not been flagged previously. At some stage, during a future renovation, we may be able to address this.

I hope we can welcome you to qualia again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Qualia is one of the top resorts worldwide. From start to finish Triple A quality: excellent staff that picks up food allergy diet needs (never had to mention it to anyone again), superb airport pick up, lovely rooms with views around the island, great food in all restaurants, plenty of day activities for any age, one of the best golf courses in the world etc etc. I was traveling with my dad and it was great! This place is not just for honey mooners but for anyone in the position to travel to this very special place. I will be back with my girlfriend or wife by then :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RvD2012
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear RvD2012

What a pleasure it was having you stay with us recently - and spend some true quality time with your father. I thank you for your review.

The qualia team pride ourselves on our attention to detail and such things as food allergies are not something we take lightly. I am pleased this was noted and arrangements made to ensure there were no possible incidences during your stay. I will happily pass on your feedback.

On the topic of girlfriends becoming wives… We know a thing or two about proposals and honeymoons and would be more than happy to assist in any way in future!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I am in love with this place. My husband took me here to do a surprise proposal and the staff were so wonderful in helping him arrange everything. The service is really fantastic and they look after you really well. The private transfers were very handy too.

The resort itself which i believe is now known as the best resort in the world? really deserves the title as it is jawdroppingly beautiful. as you walk in you believe you have landed in paradise and the views are to die for.

Food is also fantastic and the views from the breakfast area are such a memorable and relaxing experience. Rooms were great too and i have nothing to complain about. Truly wonderful and the best resort I have stayed in so far!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Zuzu5555,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at qualia. It was a pleasure to welcome you, play an albeit small part in your surprise and we would like to congratulate you both on your engagement!

We do hope we can welcome you to qualia again, perhaps as a honeymoon couple?

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I will start off by saying that Qualia is a beautiful resort in an amazing location. To compare it to other resorts or hotels in Hamilton Island is like comparing a Ferrari with a Toyota. There is nothing else on the island of this standard. Gorgeous outlook from your bedroom and bathroom. You will not be disappointed with the aesthetic outlook of the resort or when you are shown to your room. The glass windows in your bedroom look over the mountains and you can see far out to the ocean.

What completely let's this resort down is the service. Typical Australian bogan service. We are Sydney siders and have travelled to many high end places around the world and the service at Qualia is honestly embarrassing. If you expect to sit around a pool and quietly enjoy reading your book then think again. Staff scream out to other guests asking if they want sauce with their fries.
If there is anymore then 5 couples at the restaurant then expect to wait to be served for a long time. The waitstaff at this resort cannot cope with many visitors. The staff chat between each other and genuinely seem to not care if they make you wait. Some guests see it as a laid back culture, we just found it irritating and couldn't wait to leave. We even witnessed a waitstaff pour herself a small glass of wine and drink it out the back and then continue on serving guests. It became very apparent that the staff working at the resort were either young, inexperienced or uni students. Even a key senior staff member admitted to us that they were unsure and surprised how Qualia had won the number one resort in the world. When discussing this it was indicated that it was highly rated due to an American journalist who enjoyed the laid back lifestyle and Aussie accent.

Would we go back? Yes but only due to the location, weather and views. It's a short trip for us and the weather is beautiful. As this is the best resort in Hamilton, we really have no choice but to choose Qualia and put up with the service.

A huge thank you to James the sommelier who made our dinners enjoyable. He was by far the only staff member we can give credit to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheGattino
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear TheGattino,

Thank you for your review. It is fair to say that I was both alarmed and gravely concerned by your posting following your stay in August 2013.

It is only appropriate then that I should offer an emphatic apology if elements of the overall service you received (or indeed failed to receive) in and around Pebble Beach at qualia was anything less than first class during your stay.

While the saying goes that a week is a long time in politics; so too might I venture that 4 months is a long time in the lifecycle of a resort! I cannot condone the service that formed the basis of your review. Based on our recent recruitment and training efforts however, I can state with some confidence that the sub-par service you experienced 4 months ago is both isolated and very much a thing of the past. Indeed, recent reviews posted here on Trip Advisor will lend credence and support to my contentions.

In respect of your witnessing a member of my team consuming alcohol while on duty – I am appalled to learn of this and my only regret is that this was not brought to my attention at the very first opportunity.

qualia quite rightly employs a zero tolerance policy in respect to unauthorised consumption of alcohol by staff. Simply put, it’s a fundamental hospitality principle we uphold and is tantamount to theft. The individual concerned would have been subject to the prospect of summary dismissal from employment. Given the gravity of the matter reported, I would be very pleased to pursue this matter offline via email (gm@qualia.com.au) so that the wait staff concerned may be dealt with accordingly. I do however suspect that this individual has already left qualia’s employ. If not, I will assist in expediting this outcome.

The Best Resort in the World 2012 Award from Conde Nast Traveller magazine was a reader’s choice award in which readers of the magazine were encouraged to vote for their favourite resort world-wide. I suspect that you may have been provided with erroneous information regarding the influence of a single journalist in this process as this is not the case.

Lastly, I thank you for singing the praises of James – our Sommelier whose wealth of knowledge and sheer exuberance and passion for wine is contagious. I hope and trust we might be afforded the opportunity in future to welcome you back to qualia and experience a more elegant style of service to that which you regrettably experienced in August.

Warmest Regards

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Fantastic faultless service...beautiful location. Hamilton Island is such a beautiful island...also stayed at the Yacht Club villas, another tranquil place. We loved zooming around in the golf buggy's...lots of fun.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Coral Point Lodge
Coral Point Lodge
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!