“Amazing hotel but disappointing service”
Review of Qualia Resort

Qualia Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel but disappointing service”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Qualia as part of our honeymoon trip to Australia in October 2013. The hotel is amazing and deserves its 5 star status however we did find the service lacking across the resort. On a number of occasions we had to ask for various items that had run out in the room such as toilet paper and tissues. This was frustrating as we thought that housekeeping would be checking that there was a plentiful supply when serving our room. There was also very little pool service and the staff generally were not very attentive. These may seem like minor criticisms but when paying top notch prices you expect the service to match. Having said all that we had an amazing time and would definitely visit again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rob7488
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Qualia Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Rob7488,

To read that a guest's stay did not altogether meet their expectations and indeed that of my own standard is always cause for disquiet.

I do appreciate you taking the time to provide your review and pass on your feedback as it allows me to focus my attention clearly on aspects where our service may be lacking.

Please do rest assured that since your stay in October and each day in fact; we continually review and effect improvements across our services; and strive to educate and train our people to strive for maximum consistency in our service.

I am assured in that you might wish to return in future. Please do let me know when this might be and we can happily welcome you once again soon.

Kind regards,

Matthew T
General Manager - qualia

Hamilton Island

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon back in February 2013. It has taken me so long to write a review because every time I try to sit down to do it, I can't think of the words to describe such an amazing place. So here goes, from the start getting off the plane they already had our bags waiting in the car to take us back to the resort. When we arrived we were greeted with glasses of champagne until our room was ready. The food, the staff, and the rooms all exceeded my expectations and I can honestly say it is beyond 5 stars. I would recommend this place to anyone! It's such an amazing experience and you truly feel very special when you are here! I cant wait to come back! Cost wise, its not somewhere we would go every year but as it was our honeymoon in our view it was worth every penny!!

Room Tip: The rooms are amazing and soo big!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
DivaRose
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Definitely a must for any travellers looking for indulgence. My husband and I stayed during Dec 2013-Jan 2014 for five nights in a Windward Pavilion. The photos you see on Qualia's website is exactly what you see in person. Absolutely gorgeous, tranquil and private. I believe the resort was at it's full capacity with guests however amazingly enough it didn't feel that way. We celebrated NYE at the resort and it was a wonderful experience. They had fireworks and champagne for guests, a cheese and dessert bar and a band. The staff were lovely and professional especially the assistant managers. The assistant managers really go out of their way to make sure your needs are met. I think if you plan on going to Qualia, you really must indulge in a few activities available and enjoy the food they have to offer at the Qualia restaurants. Book the activities in advance before you go. It is worth it!

Activities: Unfortunately due to limited time we were only able to experience the Best of Both Worlds. You take a helicopter (just for 2 guests) over the ocean to Reefworld where you can snorkel or scuba dive. The best part of this trip was you share the place with only a few people so it's very private and exclusive. I think it may have been a total of less than 8 guests. Then after the snorkelling, you get on the helicopter and do the scenic tour before they drop you off on Whitehaven beach for a picnic. Highly recommend this activity, we loved it so much we wanted to do it again.

Food: I think this aspect of Qualia really impressed me the most. My husband and I both felt the food was on par with the fine dining establishments in Sydney. Yes I know that's a huge statement but that is how great the food was and we've been to a lot of chef hatted restaurants from Quay to Sepia etc.

Room: Loved our room and our private plunge pool. The room is perfectly decorated and arranged. During your booking I would highly recommend you ask for a room with minimal obstruction of the ocean view. I have heard and read not all the rooms are same in terms of the views. We had room 10 and it was fantastic.

Overall I highly recommend Qualia if you want privacy, great food and peace. I would definitely return. I would also like to add for travellers who may suffer from mosquito bites and allergies. I got bitten only twice the whole trip and didn't need to use repellent. Usually I'm covered in mosquito bites.

Room Tip: Windward Room 10 ~ totally worth the splurge. Make sure to ask for a room during booking that has mi...
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We returned to Qualia with great excitement especially as we were to stay in their flagship, Beach House as they couldn't accommodate the 4 of us elsewhere. I have written to the management about the disparity of the accommodation which was disappointing. That aside the staff, evening food, the location and the relaxing atmosphere are still as good as the last time we stayed here in 2013. For special occasions still a wonderful place to escape reality for a few days .

Room Tip: If only two of you are going the beach house is fine but unless they make amendments to the 2nd bedr...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Iona C
Victoria
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four night in a Windward Pavilion which was mind blowing, the Pavilion was huge with fantastic views of the sea and surround Islands was just magic! our private pool was a nice touch to cool down during the day. Service was fantastic from all staff who attend to us in every need from having coffee delivered to our villa each morning to turn down service at night. We had breakfast at Long Pavilion each morning one down side to breakfast was the bacon was dry and hard even when we requested to have the bacon cooked fresh it come back the same. We had dinner at both restaurants Long Pavilion was fantastic, Pebble beach was okay we ordered the hot sea food platter which arrived at room temperature including sides, one more thing to add watch out for the bats that come flying through the restaurant which scared the hell out of us and the other diners. We went on the sunset cruise for Qualia guests which was nice but not worth the money the finger food was shocking wrinkled carrots & celery sticks and melted cheese which was left in the sun. The beach drop off was great , We recommend the helicopter flight over the reef and heart reef we where dropped of and Whitehaven beach for an hour with bottle of wine and snacks this was a fantastic experience it is expensive just do it you won't regret it. Overall this is an amazing place if your after peace and quiet and a place to relax this is for you. Planning our next trip looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Windward Pavilions are the best all over look the sea
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Simply perfect.
My wife and I spent 6 fabulous nights and days on Qualia Resort. It has been planned by my wife and she was right 100% about it considering our very high expectations (for this I would say I love her even more than before if that would be possible... :-) ).
Best Location, best service, best luxury features.
They have broadly deserved the 1st place in the 2012 Readers' Choice Awards by Condè Nast Travellers and they are amid top positions in the Gold List on Readers picks for 2013. This time I agree.
If I should say something, I would improve the food Menu "à la carte"...but you know...the taste is a very individual thing...
Go there and enjoy the life!! Carpe Diem!

Room Tip: Windward Pavilions are the best for privacy and landscape view
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two night over a year ago for our anniversary - only just remembered I hadn't written a review yet!

I'm going to keep it brief - but all the glowing reviews are spot. We just had a Leeward Pavilion and even that was idyllic. The setting is beautiful. The moment you return to the place in your buggy and leave the screaming children on the rest of the island behind for the solitude of Qualia you just release a big sigh of blessed relief!

There were two particular stand outs that I will mention here. Firstly, the service. Absolutely brilliant. Seamless, but not stuffy. Professional, but not pretentious. Friendly, and perfectly so.

Secondly, we were very impressed with the food. Even the more 'casual' restaurant down near the pool had ridiculously tantilising options! Everything was done extremely well. We were so impressed we wrote management an email thanking specific staff afterwards.

On a side note - if you like Qualia, and would like to see something else to blow your socks off, try the urban oasis that is The Siam in Bangkok....we discovered after checking in last July that the general manager there, an Aussie by the name of Jason Friedman, used to be GM at Qualia! He's doing something very right. We're going back in April!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Shute Harbour
at Marina Shores
at Marina Shores
#6 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Qualia Resort? Share your experiences!