“Paradise at it's best.”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Long Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Paradise at it's best.”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We had the absolute pleasure of being married at Paradise Bay in April. As well as being the most brilliant day of our lives, the stay at Paradise Bay was beyond any expectations that we had. We recently received our photos and flicking through we picked up on things that we hadn't even thought to organise, but there it was...umbrellas (because it POURED with rain as we arrived for the wedding, good luck apparently!!), sunhats (because then the sun came out just in time for the ceremony to be over!), a sun awning and beach chairs waiting for us, we could go on and on.

Our families were absolutely taken care of from the moment they arrived until after they departed. From being unwell and having medicines flown in to making sure no one was served anything at dinner that they didn't like or were allergic to, not a single thing was missed!

Our hosts, well where on earth do we start?! Nothing is too much, and nothing is enough, they truly stretch beyond what you could ever expect. Rosie, for organising just about everything, thank you thank you thank you! Luke and Todd, I still salivate when I think about our lunch on the beach, dinner, breakfast, just about everything I ate whilst there!! Brownwyn and Sophie, for setting up a beautiful lunch and dinner, for setting up our beautiful ceremony, thank you will never be enough. Matt, your knowledge of the area is just outstanding, thanks for imparting a tiny fraction of that to us. And thank you for the delicious cake. Steve to the rescue time and again, no matter what the problem or worry was Steve was all over it! And the staff that you hardly see, thanks for keeping everything running and all the subtle touches that really make the difference!
A special thanks must be made to Luke though, my father in law is definitely grateful for the valiant rescue from a very large spider, you really are his knight in shining armour!

I really could go on and on, in summary though, beautiful rooms, beautiful food, beautiful hosts, beautiful place to be. This is Paradise! We can't wait to come back and check out our palm tree!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank ECD_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
MA, USA
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I recently posted in the Forum section for Australia a snapshot of a 2-week long trip to AUS that my wife and I took in May/June 2011; the last 3 nights before we headed home being at the Paradise Eco Resort on Long Island.
The many, many positive, glowing reports on this place here at Tripadvisor were a big factor in deciding to go there. After all, when so many people say such great things, there has to be something to it, right? And, like many reviewers, I will say we loved our few days there, but that it is a certain type of place - and not certain other types. In our case, we had just come from the Great Barrier Reef, and a night at the Beach Club in Hamilton Island, which we also thought was gorgeous. I had to drag my wife kicking and screaming away from there.
But go we did - via the pretty much mandatory, and thrilling (!) helicopter ride to this 10 cottage resort.
First and foremost, people are not kidding when they say the service here is probably the friendliest we've ever encountered. Greeted right when we got off the helicopter and shown around, they really make you feel right at home. In our case, Sophie was our incredible hostess throughout our stay, and she is simply a jewel. Joining her, is Todd who have others have noted, may be one of the world's best cooks - like no exaggeration. This guy just outdid himself with every meal. The food here, along with the (included at dinner) wine was among the best I have ever had anywhere. Period. And in a setting that is just so unique.
As others have also stated and as I alluded to - it is NOT a big fancy resort - there is no pool. Other than enjoying the (unbelievable) stars and drinking wine by a bonfire after dinner with other world travellers, there is not a lot to do at night. (And no TV either - which we didn't find to be an issue - although as others have pointed out, and as they are aware, the low lighting in the rooms makes reading a challenge.). And it gets Pitch Black there at night! (I won't get into the night I fell off the deck).
But really, this is a very special place with some tremendous folks making it work. As I said in my Australia report, there are lots of great beach hotels in the world, and we've stayed at quite a few - but this place is truly unique.
During the day you go out on a small catamaran or speed boat - quite exclusive feeling really, almost like having your own boat with a few new friends. (In our case, only 3 or 4 of the cabins were in use - when all 10 are taken, it may likely seem busier, but I've no doubt you will still get treated superbly).
And feeding the wallabees which are so much fun - along with the other animals on the island, it just made for a truly memorable experience.
I also mentioned in my Australia report my thoughts about the 'value' of the place, and I'll basically say it again. It might sound expensive - and like most things we found in Australia - it is (compared to the US anyways). BUT, when you consider a room at a place in the area of the Whitsundays (like a Beach Club, nevermind a Qualia or Hayman - which I understand is going through some rebuilding), plus small catered daily excursions (like sailing the Whitsundays on a glorious day with probably less than 20 people), and then great breakfasts, wonderful lunches on your daily trips, and then these gourmet dinners that are probably goiing to knock your socks off - it actually when you do the math is, I think, a very fair deal.
And so, in summary - many other people here loved their experience at Paradise Eco Resort. We did too - we'll remember it always. If you're reading this and thinking about it as part of your Australian adventure...well, say hi to Todd, Sophie, Steve, Rosie, the rest of the team and the wallabies for us!

4 Thank DEmerson
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Our 5 nights at Paradise Bay Eco Resort were fabulous. Lovely accommodation, superb food, great activities and really wonderful staff who were so accommodating. Before we arrived weren't sure if the the group dining might be awkward but it was a really great experience. I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone looking for a great break away. It was quite a shock to the system returning to the 'real world' and we immediately wanted to back on Long Island!

1 Thank 0407tm
Casper, WY
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Paradise bay was a fantastic honeymoon destination. The service was phenominal, and the food was delicious. All of the staff were very accommidating, and made me feel like I was a princess! The bungalows were very comfortable, and the scene was breathtaking. It is pretty far to travel for a yearly vacation, but it is definitely worth it!

1 Thank swimchickmle
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This is a very special place for run by very personable hosts and staff. If you like to feel like a guest and enjoy having a TV, pool and being called sir and madam then this isn't the right place and you won't enjoy it so please don't make a reservation.

However I love being addressed by my first name and being able to call others by their's. I like being asked to make myself feel at home and help myself to whatever I may fancy from the fridge / cookie jar! I like that I am served my dinner yet can also stand up and go and make myself a drink if I wish. I enjoy not having to stand on ceremony and can lounge on a sofa for most the afternoon. I enjoy having stimulating conversation with the staff who know the place well and have done interesting things in their lives and have stories to tell.

My husband and I loved the food, the bed, the room, the boat trips, the communal space; in fact we loved all aspects of our stay. The power worked fine for us and the fans were sufficient and blankets provided when needed. It felt like we were guests of friends which is exactly the type of place we like to stay.

2 Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Perth, WA
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Couldn't have been happier. Have never experienced service quite like this before. From the moment we were greeted off the helicopter to leaving the island the stress of the world just lifted. Thanks so much to Sophie, Tod, Bronwin, Luke and all of the team for making our stay so memberable.

Room Tip: All of the ten rooms have similar views and amenis
1 Thank Dianne K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We felt that we were taking a bit of a risk trying Paradise Bay over the well-established 5 star resorts in the Whitsundays, but we were only happy w/ our choice. This is not a cookie-cutter resort, and you will be without TV, pool and some normal amenities - but when you spend all day being privately sailed around white sandy beaches, and you go to sleep with the sea wind blowing across your pillow- what more do you need?
Steve and Rosie run a tight ship - they ensure that you have everything from the moment the helicopter touches down - you have a drink while your bags magically get to the room, you relax while fresh cocktails and canapes are prepared for sunset. In the evenings and mornings expect to have a brush w/ wildlife - the Kooloos and wallabies. V fun.
Everything in the room tariff is pretty much included (except for alcohol before 6:30pm) - the extra indulgence was a reef tour to the GBR by helicopter - we beat the boats to Reef World with only 4 people there on a platform normally built for 400 - a wow experience albeit at a price.
We happened to be the only couple in the hotel on 2 of the nights - both communal dining experience, and having place to ourselves were different, but equally fun.
Many thanks to Rosie, Steve, Bronwen, Luke, Matt & Sarah.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island
Whitsunday Apartments Hamilton Island
Beach Club
Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Been to Paradise Bay Island Resort? Share your experiences!