“Disappointing stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Molle Island
Adventure Island Resort
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

My partner and I booked for 2 nights here in the garden view room. From the outside the place looks nice but is a very old, run down resort..actually wouldn't even use the word resort. I can say we were upgraded to a beachfront room, thanks to out very lovely just Maria. The room was very poor standard, very dirty, room covered in ants, had a broken bed, nearly broken fridge, and broken kettle. I did ask for milk and a kettle that works, which took 4 hrs to achieve.

Probably the worse thing wad the food. We ate dinner on our first night from a small selection of pub grub. We ordered a chicken schnitzel and chicken burger. Both were appealing and they got the order wrong..I got some kind of meat burger and both meals were half frozen! There was skeleton staff so no one to even to complain to as waitress disappeared for more than 20 mins.

We had booked for 2 nights but chose to leave the island and change our arrangements on the other islands.

However I can say that our host wad more than nice, just a shame she is holding the whole place up on her own

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank smcwilly81

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

I booked in at late notice after checking the website about room types, activities, etc, looking for some peace and quiet. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
I was one of somewhere between 3 and 5 guests on the Island. The main restaraunt was closed and the cafe was open at limited times with very limited choice of food. One day there were quite a few "day trippers" and the Cafe ran out of a couple of food options.
The day trippers did have that "why did I do this?" look about them
The Bar/Nightclub was only open between 5.30pm and 8.00pm and I was not able to purchase drinks by the Glass, only in a Jug or can/bottle .
The room I had had a great view out over the Bay but the Bathroom was ant infested, including in the kettle. The Golf Course was overgrown and had an unattended look to it as did the Tennis Court.
It also took 6 and a half hours to get from Hamilton Island to South Molle
A beautiful and peaceful place it is, but I cannot recommend it.
I have tried contacting the Resort with feed back but they seem to be uncontactable

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mark A

Travellers are raving about these South Molle Island hotels

Dunedin
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We had read the very mixed reviews about Koala Resort on South Molle Island in the Whitsundays and wondered what we might be getting ourselves in for, but it was just fantastic, and we would go back. It is the place to go for a quiet, relaxing holiday amidst beautiful scenery. You can do as much or as little as you want. The island is well known for its great walks (as it is a National Park) and these did not disappoint. The views can be spectacular from the hilltops. There is a lovely swimming pool, nice little golf course (9 holes), tennis courts, and a beach where swimming is better at high tide.

Food is served from the Cafe and you can eat indoors or out. The meals are not expensive and provide a reasonable range. This is not open ALL day, but the hours are clearly advertised around mealtimes.
We stayed at the resort for a whole week which was unusual. Most guests stay for shorter periods but we had no regrets and it made for a very relaxing holiday. Most visitors to the island seem to come for daytrips to explore the island via the walks. There are no roads, no traffic, the primary noise coming from the birds. Ferries come and go on a regular basis and it would be easy to get around other islands from South Molle.
We found the island quiet during the day (which suited us) but in the evenings there were often themed events provided in the bar eg karaoke and other party entertainment, which you could partake in if you wanted to socialise. These events were mainly held to entertain groups of boating tourists hosted by the resort which owned a yacht for chartered day trips. There is a large bar area for evening entertainment, again indoor/outdoor options.
The accommodation was comfortable and perfectly adequate. We stayed in a beachfront bungalow, which is the top of the range. It was clean and had a comfortable bed, sofa, fridge, bathroom with shower over bath, some storage cupboards, and its own deck with table & chairs overlooking the ocean. There was a TV, but reception not good, and who needs a TV anyway when on such a beautiful island.
We really enjoyed this holiday for what it was – a quiet, relaxing, island retreat, with warm, sunny weather and beautiful surroundings. It is true the resort is a shadow of its former self. Less than half the facilities are currently used as the tourist numbers at present don’t justify having the resort fully operational. In some areas it is looking a little tired and in need of maintenance, but the facilities that are used are sufficient. This is not a swept up resort. The other islands on the Whitsundays cater to that market. This is an alternative to the other islands which seem over-developed and over-urbanised. If you want to get away from it all this is the place. The natural environment has largely been left intact.
Internet coverage is poor – don’t rely on keeping ‘connected’.
Last but not least, the staff. They are great and we made many friends. They come from all around the world and all seem to appreciate the natural beauty of their workplace. They were pleasant and helpful and did their best to ensure our stay was a success.
But if you are expecting someone to carry your bags this is not for you!!!

Room Tip: Go for a beach bungalow along waterfront
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2011

To be fair, we only paid a visit and didn't stay (thank goodness) but part of the reason for reviewing is so that owners/managers can take our comments on board and do something about them. Hopefully. So here, in a nutshell, are my thoughts:

1. Peaceful and beautiful.
2. Shabby, run-down resort and in dire need of a re-vamp.
3. Great walks with wonderful views.
4. Dirty toilets/showers near the pool.
5. Limited, basic food available in the cafe. A long wait for it to arrive, but I guess the poor girl was doing her best. Wish we'd taken our own lunch and not bought it there.
6. Friendly, helpful receptionist.

But are 1,3 and 6 enough when you have to contend with 2,4 and 5 ??
You have been warned.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiwibabe
Reviewed 5 August 2011

From the first moment we set foot on the jetty, the lack of service began. Nobody carried our bags, and the wood was slippery. My hand went through the rotting wood. Then we looked around the resort, slipping several times on blackened pathways with patches of slime and mould everywhere. The pool was not cleaned, leaves littering the bottom and floating all over. We were told there were 2 restaurants, but neither were open all long weekend. Even the cafe was unattended most of the opening hours. Gift shop likewise was closed all the time. The daily activities list was displayed, but not actioned, we waited over an hour for each one. Our room was cold and damp and smelled of old mould, the bathroom taps dripped and dribbled 24/7, there was no phone to contact reception. The ceiling fan did not work (needed to dry clothes), and there were blankets available at an extra charge, none supplied. I feel we should have been warned of conditions, and the advertising of the resort is absolutely untrue, a refund should be given.
The island is beautiful, and the walking paths spectacular. They are well maintained and well signed. But the beach smelled terrible, like old 'grey water'. There was no possibility of snorkelling around the resort when the smell was so bad.
I would not recommend anyone stay at this resort, though the rest of the island is beautiful. And they have the hide to charge day trippers to walk through the resort.
Stay away!

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the room before settling in, and ask for another if it is unsatisfactory.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank muddy19
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I'd like to say thanks to the staff at South Molle Island (aka Koala Adventure Island), for a fantastic stay. On arrival we were upgraded to a beachfront room which was ensuite, with a balcony overlooking the beach and ocean. After reading some of the reviews on here I was really worried I would a) starve b) be totally alone and bored. But this was not the case. The food on the island is adequate and the cafe is open at reasonable times - its simply normal pub grub so don't expect anything more than that. It's reasonably priced with meals costing around $10-25 AUD. I would recommend bringing some food with you to save on costs (and if you don't fancy burger and chips/fish and chips/carbonara etc...). There is a fridge in most of the rooms, so we stocked up on food in Airlie beach before we left for South Molle. Yes drinks are a little on the pricey side but no more expensive than what we had found previously in Oz (around $4-$6 a beer), there are also happy hours to take advantage of.

There weren't many guests as it was low season (just occasional groups and passing yachts, so I wouldn't recommend it during this time for sole travellers who want company. But if you're in a couple and want some R'N'R, or a sole traveller wanting to get away from the crowds then its a must. We had the beach to ourselves most days and the staff and occasional guests were really friendly. The wildlife is spectacular (we could see turtles and dolphins from the beach, fed gigantic fish from the jetty and wild lorikeets and cockatoos would come to feed from your hands. We had the golf course to ourselves and there are some spectacular bush walks on this island. The snorkelling wasn't great as a lot of the reef had been damaged by a cyclone. The beach itself is shingly in places but there is soft sand to be found.

Overall a fantastic stay and we'd love to come back again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a Awesome Adventures Oz package.
I arrived on the Island at around 8.30am; the lovely girls on reception met me on the jetty, checked me in and showed me too my room which was ready.
Rooms are very basic and dated. The bed was clean and comfortable although the matress did dip alot. The floors were very dirty and didn't feel like they'd been cleaned. The bathroom was OK but there was rust in the shower and around the basin and toilet. We were only provided with a basic bottom sheet and had to pay a $10 deposit plus $2 cleaning fee for a blanket.

The resort itself was VERY quiet in the day time. I believe at one point I was the only person on the island and this did make me feel very secluded and alone. I had to ask to watch DVD's to pass my time. The swimming pool is nice, but cold. The beach was lovely and there were lots of fish to see in the water from the jetty, but I never did sunbathe here. There is fish feeding every morning at 10am on the jetty and this is something I would recommend seeing.
I did do a couple of the bush walks; one to the highest point and the other to sandy bay. The highest point was 2.7km each way and although it was a long walk it was worth the views at the top and on the way - you could see the whole of South Mollee Island and a 360 degree view of the Whitsunday Islands - Beautiful!
Night time entertainment was always based around the groups that the resort was catering for with their own boat packages; so not much happening. They did have karaoke but this was the only night -time entertainment that I experienced.
The main restaurant was closed and the cafe was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I never made breakfast but I did eat lunch and dinner and the food was enjoyable.

A lot of the resort was closed - I did wander around most of it and found kitchen/BBQ facilites that had not been cleaned in a WHILE and were not in use. Toilets near the golf course were disgusting and looked like they hadn't been touched in years but were not closed off. There was an old 'kids club' that was now being used as storage.

The resort could be 100 times better with a good tidy up and lick of paint.

Overall I did enjoy my stay and getting used to the quiteness and would return - but not for a few years.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Daydream Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Daydream Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,006 reviews

Been to Adventure Island Resort? Share your experiences!