“South Molle Dec 2011 New Years Eve NEVER AGAIN”

Adventure Island Resort
Sydney, Australia
“South Molle Dec 2011 New Years Eve NEVER AGAIN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

we arrived on the Island and natually thought it was fantastic it looked so beautiful and it was going to be a perfect holiday for us, but as soon as we got to our beach bungalow we had to return to reception requesting hot water.We were offered another bungalow but that upgarde had now power let alone hot water and was much worst, so we waited for the hot water to be connected. The beach bungalo was very plain and the wardrobe was nailed shut so we lived out of our siutcase, the only great thing in the room was the spa bath (once we had hot water) The receptionist said we were lucky becase we had the nicest rooms. I would hate to see the others
South Molle is advertised for having NO children on the island,however the manager had his 6 Grand children running riot on the beach and in the pool area all day every day, one of the children asked me to give him my paddle as he was one of the grandchildren of the manager and didnt have a paddle, I had to pay $10.00 to use the paddle and canoe and he expected me to hand it over to him because of who he was (they should not of even been on the island).(I dont care who he was, he wasnt getting it)
While on a bush walk I found 2 families with 5 small children camping as they were unable to book a room because they had children and this is what they were told but its ok for the manager to have his family there.
We were promised fire works on New Years Eve when I booked 2 months prior when we arrived, I asked what time the fire works were being set off and where was the best place to view them,It was at that stage I told fire works have been cancelled BUT we do have spaklers and poppers (wow how exciting for New years).

Food, thats another whole dissapointment, the resturant has been closed indefinatley, they had a cafe open each day from 8.30 til10.30am then from12 til 2pm then from 5.30 til 8pm there was 1 coke machine on the island which was broken so if you wanted a drink between the hours of the cafe being closed well that was just to bad, you just have to wait until the cafe opens but they incourage you to do all the so called activities available on the island in the heat of the Whit Sundays but do not supply drinks or food when required.
There is no shop to buy bread or milk we had to ask the cafe for a cup of milk each night so that we could make a coffee in our room (make sure you take milk and extra bread to feed the fish yourself as that is the most exciting thing to do on the island apart from snokeling when the water is clear from the cyclones.
activities avaliable was fish feeding, this is were the receptionist throws a container of pellets over the jetti, bird feeding ( you throw bread on the ground and the birds eat it) coconut throwing (we couldnt find that ) there was a volley ball net but no volley ball games happening, golf is avaliable but the grass on the course is not maintained. bush walks are great but tracks are not maintained in anyway so take a stick with you incase a snake slivers out at you
There is a bar that opens at 2 pm each day which is also classed as the games room as the original games room is closed permanatley here you will be able to veiw completly naked backpackers standing on tables singing and dancing with STAFF while my partner and I were having a quite after dinner drink.
We were happy to leave this Island and have no intentions of going back
the only reason we stayed for the time we booked was because the ladies in the cafe and at reception were really nice

Room Tip: Approx 30 beach front bungalows only 5 avaliable for New Years eve as the others were condemed with...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank rae7570

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

AVOID THIS PLACE.

DO not waste your time or money going here. The resort is dead. There were only 2 other couples when we got there, so everything was shut. No food, no drinks, no activities. NOTHING!!!
We only went on a half day trip to see the supposed bird paradise, but there were no birds to be found. The bird show never happened. We had to find a staff member to come out and put some bread, which thank god attracked a few parrots (almost redeeming the day).

Still, it was the most boring experience of our holiday.
Run down, decrepit resort, no food available...

The one redeeming factor was that the lady who ran the bird show quite nice. The other staff were awful.

Please don't go. You WILL regret it...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank phesjicus

Travellers are raving about these South Molle Island hotels

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

I booked this holiday as a retreat for me and my partner who haven't had a holiday together for a long time. I booked the beach front bungalow as I wanted it to be special. The first problem was the the boat ride over and transport from airport were not included. Not that big of a deal but most Whitsunday resorts do. We got to the island and checked into our bungalow which had a massive concrete drain out front and had broken up concrete on the beach. The room was terrible, I have seen back packer hostels in better condition. The gutter was hanging off, the TV didn't work, it was dusty, etc. The facilities were run-down to say the least. The tennis court was over grown. The restaurant, or should I say average cafe is run by back packers, not a chef and was priced like a restaurant. It is only open 3 times a day so don't miss it or you go hungry! The biggest complain is that the day before check-out day, I asked what boat I needed to be on and could they arrange a bus to the airport for me. This was "no problem", we caught the boat, which went a different route to the way over, I was watching my watch thinking "we are not going to make it!". We got to the bus spot and they said they told the resort that we wouldn't make their service. Nice of the resort to tell us!!! We had to then catch a cab to Airlie Airport ($80!). We made it spot on 30mins before the plane leaves but the baggage check in had closed, bloody Jetstar! Luckly the security guy was very nice and told us to sneak our bags on as cabin luggage.

The only good thing I can say about the island is the bush walks are nice. Thankfully they are not maintained by the island! We did a day trip to Daydream island and had an awesome day! Wish we stayed there!

I think the only possitive comments can come from the owners of the Island doing their own reviews or people from 3rd world countries. I shouldv'e went to Fiji for service, 5 stars and a cheaper holiday. So much for trying to support our own country!

I was so annoyed I managed to find the resort owners email address and the manager (good ol Google) and neither of them could even give me a reply! Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Do bother!!! Go somewhere else. The Whitsundays are beautiful but this resort is terrible!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kevin P
Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

DO NOT GO - My partner and I booked to stay for 3 nights and ended up staying for 1 because it was so awful. We were looking forward to sailing around the island in a catamaran and eating delicious seafood in the restaurant. The online advertising lead us to believe it was a resort with resort facilities - but it was a nightmare. The food was disgusting and there was no restaurant. We had to buy food from the 'cafe' which was only open limited hours. The food was not even cafe quality and we couldn't even eat our dinner. We left it uneaten and went hungry. We could not wait to get off the island as we could not stay there and eat that food for 3 days. The rooms were falling apart and the whole resort is like a ghost town - literally falling down. There were no catamarans and when we asked we were told that 'nobody ever asks for them'. We went to the pub which opened at 5pm and the floor was sticky and dirty and obviously hadn't been cleaned and the toilets were also disgusting. The only other people in the bar were the staff. The staff were nice enough but obviously not concerned with people's holiday experiences. They were all young backpackers obviously enjoying themselves. After reading other peoples comments I am appalled that this place is able to get away with continually treating people this way and ripping people off. Most of us have to save hard for our holidays and expect to be able to at least eat the food we pay for. This is so bad for Queensland Tourism and as a Queenslander I am disgusted at this treatment. We ended up staying at Airlie Beach Hotel which was lovely. I only wish we went there first.

Room Tip: Anywhere other than South Molle
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo P
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

My partner and I booked for 2 nights here in the garden view room. From the outside the place looks nice but is a very old, run down resort..actually wouldn't even use the word resort. I can say we were upgraded to a beachfront room, thanks to out very lovely just Maria. The room was very poor standard, very dirty, room covered in ants, had a broken bed, nearly broken fridge, and broken kettle. I did ask for milk and a kettle that works, which took 4 hrs to achieve.

Probably the worse thing wad the food. We ate dinner on our first night from a small selection of pub grub. We ordered a chicken schnitzel and chicken burger. Both were appealing and they got the order wrong..I got some kind of meat burger and both meals were half frozen! There was skeleton staff so no one to even to complain to as waitress disappeared for more than 20 mins.

We had booked for 2 nights but chose to leave the island and change our arrangements on the other islands.

However I can say that our host wad more than nice, just a shame she is holding the whole place up on her own

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank smcwilly81
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I booked in at late notice after checking the website about room types, activities, etc, looking for some peace and quiet. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
I was one of somewhere between 3 and 5 guests on the Island. The main restaraunt was closed and the cafe was open at limited times with very limited choice of food. One day there were quite a few "day trippers" and the Cafe ran out of a couple of food options.
The day trippers did have that "why did I do this?" look about them
The Bar/Nightclub was only open between 5.30pm and 8.00pm and I was not able to purchase drinks by the Glass, only in a Jug or can/bottle .
The room I had had a great view out over the Bay but the Bathroom was ant infested, including in the kettle. The Golf Course was overgrown and had an unattended look to it as did the Tennis Court.
It also took 6 and a half hours to get from Hamilton Island to South Molle
A beautiful and peaceful place it is, but I cannot recommend it.
I have tried contacting the Resort with feed back but they seem to be uncontactable

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mark A
Dunedin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

We had read the very mixed reviews about Koala Resort on South Molle Island in the Whitsundays and wondered what we might be getting ourselves in for, but it was just fantastic, and we would go back. It is the place to go for a quiet, relaxing holiday amidst beautiful scenery. You can do as much or as little as you want. The island is well known for its great walks (as it is a National Park) and these did not disappoint. The views can be spectacular from the hilltops. There is a lovely swimming pool, nice little golf course (9 holes), tennis courts, and a beach where swimming is better at high tide.

Food is served from the Cafe and you can eat indoors or out. The meals are not expensive and provide a reasonable range. This is not open ALL day, but the hours are clearly advertised around mealtimes.
We stayed at the resort for a whole week which was unusual. Most guests stay for shorter periods but we had no regrets and it made for a very relaxing holiday. Most visitors to the island seem to come for daytrips to explore the island via the walks. There are no roads, no traffic, the primary noise coming from the birds. Ferries come and go on a regular basis and it would be easy to get around other islands from South Molle.
We found the island quiet during the day (which suited us) but in the evenings there were often themed events provided in the bar eg karaoke and other party entertainment, which you could partake in if you wanted to socialise. These events were mainly held to entertain groups of boating tourists hosted by the resort which owned a yacht for chartered day trips. There is a large bar area for evening entertainment, again indoor/outdoor options.
The accommodation was comfortable and perfectly adequate. We stayed in a beachfront bungalow, which is the top of the range. It was clean and had a comfortable bed, sofa, fridge, bathroom with shower over bath, some storage cupboards, and its own deck with table & chairs overlooking the ocean. There was a TV, but reception not good, and who needs a TV anyway when on such a beautiful island.
We really enjoyed this holiday for what it was – a quiet, relaxing, island retreat, with warm, sunny weather and beautiful surroundings. It is true the resort is a shadow of its former self. Less than half the facilities are currently used as the tourist numbers at present don’t justify having the resort fully operational. In some areas it is looking a little tired and in need of maintenance, but the facilities that are used are sufficient. This is not a swept up resort. The other islands on the Whitsundays cater to that market. This is an alternative to the other islands which seem over-developed and over-urbanised. If you want to get away from it all this is the place. The natural environment has largely been left intact.
Internet coverage is poor – don’t rely on keeping ‘connected’.
Last but not least, the staff. They are great and we made many friends. They come from all around the world and all seem to appreciate the natural beauty of their workplace. They were pleasant and helpful and did their best to ensure our stay was a success.
But if you are expecting someone to carry your bags this is not for you!!!

Room Tip: Go for a beach bungalow along waterfront
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Daydream Island Resort & Spa
Daydream Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Daydream Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews

Been to Adventure Island Resort? Share your experiences!