“Overwhelming if you are a young traveller :)”

Adventure Island Resort
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We came to the resort because it was the only Whitsundaystrip where you sleep on an Island and not in the boat. As we were used to all the hostels, the place was really nice for us, a bit to quite at winter time and everything needs a bit of renovation, but a nice resort, we had a pool, a tennis court, got a room for three without upgrading, which is a luxury as a traveller! The food was standard but good and the staff really nice! The place offers a nice walk to Spion Cop with an awesome lookout over the Islandgroup and an awesome sunrise :) great value for us!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 95Mimi2014

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a frequent buyer on groupon (as I love a good bargainl) and when I seen a 3 day 2 night package to the Whitsundays, I was overwhelmed as I wanted to see Whitehaven beach and be able to relax for a few days. What attracted me to this package was you didn't have to stay on the boat (I suffer from sea sickness ) you stayed on land for both nights.

I am a backpacker travelling on my own and I was a little apprehensive as I did look at some of the reviews on trip advisor before buying my voucher. I heard that the island was a little dated however had some amazing national park walks so, I decided to purchase a voucher as I had travelled up the east coast staying in hostels (some to be desired).

The overall trip was more than I expected, for the money I paid I think it was great value. It was amazing to say I had stayed on an island in the Whitsundays with so much history and culture. If anyone books this trip, the walk to spion cop is highly recommended as it was the best thing I done on the island. The staff did make the trip more enjoyable and it was nice that they got everyone involved in night activities including karaoke for those people who were on there own.

The food was basic on the boat but the home cooked bolognaise and curry for our dinner was ideal, I left every night feeling more than satisfied. The drink on the Island was very reasonable seems as there was nowhere else to buy anything. I would recommend getting to the bar early as the cocktails were very cheap at this time.

I was lucky for it to have been sunny for my trip however, I think even if the weather had of not been so great, it wouldn't changed my experience.

Thank you to all the staff for making my trip memorable and Thanks for my voucher for 1 free night in Cairns ( a nice touch to the end of a fantastic trip!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank rebecca f
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was by far one of the highlights of my time travelling Australia, There was 5 of us travelling all together and we booked the trip as we were intrigued by the island stay, rather than sleeping on a boat. There was a group of about 47 in total and i have made some true friends from all over the world, we had so much fun singing karaoke, sailing around the islands, snorkeling, bush walking and generally chilling by the pool. The staff were fantastic and really made the trip. They were very friendly and knowledgeable, but really made the whole vibe of the trip a positive one. The structure of the tour was perfect i didn't felt rushed at any point. The bushwalk on the last day was simply amazing. The snorkeling was beautiful and the Whitehaven beach was stunning. I can really say i had a great time and would definitely recommend this trip to anyone thinking of doing a Whitsunday trip!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Was here last week and I need to say the place was a night mare. People complained about no hot water in the rooms, fridges never worked, a/c were broken and rooms were unbelievably shocking, old and run down.. I'm not upset because I didn't pay much for the trip but come on, your meant to save heaps through groupon and it's a lie, book it from a local travel agent in airlie beach and it is the same price..
Guys don't get fooled.. The food was disgrace no other options besides what they gave you and you have 95% backpackers that attack all the food and your left with none. I only gave to stars and that's for staff. Maria was lovely and very helpful but you don't expect this place even in a second world country.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Tchellessa
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We were lucky enough to have read reviews before arriving at the island as you may have got a shock if you were not first advised.

The hotel is dated apparently being an old anset asset. The accommodation is adequate but you can tell nothing has really been updated for a while. We were advised that the island is hit by cyclones and other weather conditions and you can see this when you check in.

The staff are awesome, kev on the boat Maria in the office are always there to ensure your enjoying yourself and having a great time.

The food was average however for 299 per person I didn't expect fillet mignon but the food could have been ramped up slightly. First night we had a very average spaghetti Bol for dinner .... Day 2 on the boat was peanut butter sandwhiches followed by pasta salad and a piece of chicken wing. That night for dinner was curry chicken and coleslaw however the chicken was minimal and the coleslaw not that great. Best meal was lunch on the day we left great roast beef and silverside with salad

All in all was a good trip enjoyed by myself and what looked like by others however they could increase the cost a little and indulge a bit in the food and possibly some room renovations or upgrades.

Entertain was good karaoke was a fav between most of the guest, I don't know if I would pay to attend this pace again before a refurb however it is definitely a must do at least 1 time if your watching the penny's

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank innerwestboi
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

If you expect backpacker style accommodation and food this will be fine for you.

Basically is budget accommodation and food with quite a but of sailing, Whitehaven beach, a single snorkelling stop and some free time on the island mostly to swim in the pool.

We bought a deal voucher for a 2 night 3 day sailing holiday with koala adventures staying on South Molle Island (renamed Koala Adventure Island). I think we paid about $250 each for the deal and an extra $60 each to upgrade to a private twin share room.

They meet you at the town marina in airline beach where you board the boat in the afternoon. Before leaving they ask if you want to go purchase any food and drinks for the trip. Alcohol on the boat is BYO. Read your paperwork, it says to organise this beforehand and bring it with you. You can buy a few non alcoholic and overpriced items at the marina, but best to buy in town. They also only provide main meals, so bring all the snacks you think you might want.
The boat is a catamaran, seating inside for bad weather, 2 toilets, and a large deck out front where everyone sat for the journey to south Molle. Please note the resort is only used for this tour and not open to separate bookings so its only whoever is on the boat that on the island. We had 30 people total.
You arrive at south Molle around 4pm, and check in as they call you up from sitting around the pool.
The rooms are backpacker basic: metal tube bunk beds with foam mattresses (were very comfy though). We upgraded to twin share for $60pp but our room still had a bunk, a single and a double.
Also, they don't provide towels.

You have a few minutes to swim or explore before dinner.
The resort itself is beautiful if a little run down. Apparently it was hit by a few cyclones and they are just getting it up and running again. Everything has a patina of neglect though the facilities are good. There is a tennis court, golf course, huge pool with cold spa, beach, fish feeding and walking tracks everywhere.
There is a bar which has cocktails $12 each, 2 for $20 during happy hour, cocktail of the day $8. Not sure how much for spirits but between 7-8pm 2 for $8. So prices weren't ridiculous. However if you don't have cash you can't buy anything on the island. So take enough with you, no facilities to get cash out despite what they say.

Dinner the first night was a chicken vegetable curry with rice and a naan, light on the chicken. It was ok.
They specify one naan per person till second helpings. After everyone has had one serve you can go back and have as much as you want.
After dinner we played a flipping cup drinking game, limbo and other get to know you games.

Second day you get up for breakfast. There is one egg each till second helpings, toast, basic cereals and very watered down milk. And that's about it.
You get your stinger suit and snorkel and go board the boat. I got a suit so stretched out of proportion it was unwearable. One of the staff on the boat loaned me her personal suit so I could snorkel which was very nice of her. Others seemed to have newer suits so it was my bad luck, but they didn't appreciate my comment thy perhaps try should retire that suit.
We sailed from south Molle out to Whitehaven beach, was about a 2.5hr sail. We spent about 1.5hrs there which was more than enough to see everything and still have a lay on the beach.
Back on the boat we were served lunch peanut butter, jam or polony sandwiches, some salads (basic) and a chicken drum stick. I was very glad we brought our own snacks.
From there we sailed to the snorkelling spot about 30 min. Lovely coral, great warm water, even saw a turtle. We had good weather so the water was clear.
Then sailed back, again 2.5hrs or so. Also for safety reasons they only let you drink your alcohol after the snorkelling.
Got back, dinner was served, pasta with vegetables. I actually liked it.
The entertainment that night was karaoke. We were there till they kicked us out to close :) lots of fun.

Third day breakfast is the same then thy have a guided walk to spion kop. Relative easy walk even if its a bit warm. View is amazing and a you can see different walks you can take all over the island. Get back, pack up, board the boat and head home.

They reserve a table at one of the backpacker bars in airlie to party with your boat mates when you return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank stiffydagold
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I went onto groupon Brisbane and found a deal $259 for a three day 2 night adventure to Whitsundays. included accommodation on Soutyh Mole Island resort with Koala Adventures. and food snorkelling and a catamaran ride to white haven beach.

I saw the reviews over trip advisor and saw that there were more worse reviews than good however It was a cheap deal Im on a budget so I just went with it.

It was on the boat called Pride of Airlie holds 65 ppl but there were only 54 guests and 7 staff on the boat.

The skipper was really nice and helpful and funny he made the trip and group check in talks enjoyable. The staff was all new that day so they were learning about the trip and adventures. They were all really nice.
Maria who is in charge of bookings and organizing is really nice and organized and knows what she is doing.

Service of the staff was very efficient

it wasnt that much of a party boat but I guess because it all depends on your group. People from all over the world was on it so that was neat.

Food----

Breakfast----just suny side up eggs with brown white toast jam and penut butter and the water on the island is just aweful. We bought pop so bring your own WATER!!!

Lunch ---- it was very low budget cheap back packer food. Pasta with no sauce just cooked pasta with cut up olives and peppers it was very bland and boring,with one drum stick that was tasty and then we had canned meat sandwhiches the ham looked canned and then there was other fresh cut meats with salad but dressing was bottles lemon juice I think.

Dinner----- Spaghetti first night with foccaccia bread that was good, second night chicken curry with veggies on rice that was good, next day they used like the same rice it seemed and just added ketchup to it and olives very gross.

Food was not that good but you get what you pay for im not that picky I mean I ate it but they could still improve on it. the food service handling was good from my viewpoint.

Accomodation was dorm rooms unless you pay more for private. I shared with 5 other girls in a bunk bed dorm room and one bathroom two mirrors. I could feel bars under my mattress from bunk bed. The bathroom had 7 cockroaches each night in the shower, on curtain and floor. AC was in good condition. It was fine for two nights but just saying what you will expect.

The Island itself is really pretty they have a tennis court golf and a swimming pool so pretty much you are just in the pool. Very nice. the pool area was pleasant.

Snorkel goggles they provided were bad so bring your own you have to wear a stinger suit.

the water was merky for snorleing around Islands, white haven was nice spent 3 hours there relaxing. Also we spent 9 hours out on the catamaran and in the water all together so bring lots of sun screen next day you are super tired. We did kareoke one night and played some drinking and ice breaker games the night before all after dinner. So they do their best to get everyone aquainted.

Low budget tour so just be prepared for low budget nothing fancy

Enjoy

Room Tip: dorms area ll the same