“Not sure I will return”

Ranked #51 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide
“Not sure I will return”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The actual beds were clean and comfortable but the bed head needs a good dusting as does the table lamp and phone. Bathroom was of a very poor standard. Expected things to be a bit average but bathroom definitely needs to be upgraded.

There was persistent noise through most of the night with traffic, bottles being disposed off, people walking by or standing outside smoking and talking.

I chose this hotel because of price and the convenient location to where I needed to attend to business.

Would possibly consider staying again, but would need to ask for an "inside" room where noise should be less of a problem

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Shirley W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bellingen, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel is very limited to have a "face-lift", as it is heritage listed and not many things can be changed. The whole place is smothered with mirrors, they are all around you ! I did not like the mirrors, my sister found them "charming". We found the staff very attentive and helpful, beds clean and comfortable, buffet breakfast excellent

Room Tip: We chose a cheap room with a HUGE rather cold bathroom
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I wish I read reviews before booking to stay here..
No where to park out front or only a 10 min drop off on busy main Street in Adelaide. The secure parking you have to pay for in the U park for a minimum of $15 which is about a 100 meter walk from hotel.
We couldn't figure out where the actual accommodation entrance was, we went through the gaming entrance as the sign next to it looked like it wasn't part of the ambassador, only to be spoken so rudely to by a lady in the gaming counter because we brought our 22 month old child through.
Checked in and was taken up to our room by a old elevator where you have to open the doors yourself, took us to the 2nd floor then we had to walk up a flight of stairs to the 3rd floor.
The room:
I was looking forward to
sleeping in the "king" bed only to be disappointed it was TWO single ensemble beds pushed together! And I was grossed out to finding someone's toe/fingernail clippings on the floor near the "king" bed
The ensuite was quite run down, window wedged open by a box of tissues. But the water pressure wasn't too bad. Big brown stain in the toilet.
Personally I wouldn't stay here again and especially if you have young kids. Maybe we had higher expectations because it was in the CBD. The plus side was the tram stop right outside the hotel

• Stayed July 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.
My friend and I thought that we would have a nice relaxing trip to Adelaide and we were looking forward to a comfortable room.
Not so.
Upon arrival I was immediately greeted by the stench of stale beer and body odour in the reception. Having to stand there and wait for someone to come and check me in was not my idea of comfort, rather the opposite.
After I was given my key I was led to the lift - a rickety old thing which made me question my decision. It was explained that the lift was 90 years old, and that I should be careful with it. Still, I didn't want to risk my life stepping into that thing, so I asked the direction of the stairs.
I had to climb up two sets of stairs, walk through the entire hotel and then walk another set of stairs to get to my room. And this is just the beginning.
When I opened the door I didn't think the room could be too bad. This is all proof that first impressions are always wrong.
What was advertised to us as a king bed was actually two single beds pushed together and sheeted together. Whilst I know this is common practice, it would be nice to have two beds of the same softness. One side of the bed was hard and the other incredibly soft. What's more, they were both incredibly sunken, given me the impression that they were incredibly old. When I had slept a night there I found bruises - from where the springs of the bed were sticking into me. And the final touch for the bed - between the sheet and the mattress I actually found a few woollen blankets, so as to give the impression that the bed was softer than it actually was. I hate to think what the bed would have been like without these extra layers.
My friend also found the single bed incredibly uncomfortable.
The bathroom was absolutely filthy. There was no toilet roll holder, the door did not close properly and the toilet was disgustingly unclean. I felt dirtier after having been in the bathroom.
The heater was loud, the centuries old fridge made loud noises throughout the night, making it a necessity to turn it off at night time, hence making our milk go off, there was one table with two small chairs and the room had the distinct smell of mould.
It was also advertised that the room we were getting was freshly painted. If that room was freshly painted I would probably fire the painters, because it was awful. It seemed more likely that the owners bought a can of paint and in order to cut costs, only painted over the bits of the walls which had been stained. There were patches all over the walls and the paint on the back of the toilet door had been scratched off.
When my friend first arrived his first thought is that this would be the kind of room where you would bring a hooker back to, in the movies.
Lastly, when we complained about the poor quality of the room, the receptionist seemed uninterested and told us that we had booked a budget room, and what else were we to expect? (In actual fact, throughout the booking process I did not once read the fact that we were booking a "budget room"). The receptionist did not care, and said she had to check what the booking site said. She did not bother following up the complaint at all.
Having stayed in many hotels and working in the industry for a very long time, I know what a three star hotel looks like. This is not a 3 star hotel. This would be more akin to a negatively rated hotel, because that is what you are going to get. A negative experience and a negative vibe, topped off by staff who couldn't care less.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you must, do not stay on the third floor (the budget rooms).
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank V N

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Extremely disappointing. Receptionist was lovely and very helpful but gives very misleading information. She repetitively stated to me the parking was a weekend flat rate of $6 for the weekend..no, it's $6 per day so my 16 hour parking cost $12 and is over a 5 minute walk from the hotel which wasn't pleasant at evening time!

Next, when booking on the phone I said I was bringing a portacot and asked if the room was big enough to fit it. I was assured it was. After checking in she walked us to the ancient manually operated lift which I do not recommend if you're even slightly claustrophobic, getting stuck in that would be a nightmare! The lift only goes to the second floor. So after getting out on level 2 we then had to walk through a maze of corridors then up two more flights of narrow stairs with all our bags, a toddler and a portacot. At NO POINT did the receptionist tell us that this was required and no help was offered with all of our stuff. Once at the room we discovered it wasn't even big enough to open the portacot so my toddler had to sleep in the 'king bed' (2xsingles pushed together) and my husband slept in the single bed. Beds were very uncomfortable.

The air conditioner was too loud to even have on, lucky the weather was ok to not really need it. There was no remote for the tv so I rang reception and the lovely man was kind enough to bring us another one within 15 minutes. When I checked out in the morning the third receptionist staff tried to charge me for the phone call to reception! Unbelievable.

Breakfast is boxed juice, hardly drinkable, bread with a toaster, jam etc, a few cereals, unripe bananas and instant coffee. I had one sip of juice and half a piece of toast is all I could manage from this tasteless array. Overall, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and with so many other options in the city, don't bother.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gottatravel80
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just stayed at this hotel for the 2nd time. The location is fantastic, all the staff are professional and really friendly and helpful. Yes it is an old building, with an old elevator (which works just fine) the rooms are clean, the waters hot and the bar/lounge and beer garden are great. The whole place has heaps of character and we"ll stay again next time we need a room in Adelaide for a night.

• Stayed May 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Large Queen size room with small kitchen & nice clean Ensuite
Kettle Tea coffee and Milk supplied
Staff very helpful
Hotel is gracious @145 years old and 90 year old Lift
Really enjoyed ourselves
Central to all the city and easy access to Airport.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple