“Trendy but poor service”
Review of Clarion Hotel Soho

Clarion Hotel Soho
Ranked #34 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide, Australia
“Trendy but poor service”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

The soho clarion is beautifully designed and very trendy but the service was a let down. The staff where not friendly or helpful and did not got out of their way for us at all, even though it was our wedding night. The rooms were very nice, comfortable and a good size, however we found it very diffucult to sleep as the building was very noisy.. we weren't sure whether that was due to the pool above or air-coinditioning. There appeared to be very little acoustic treatment. The decant restaurant was very nice with good service.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pops01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
melbourne
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Stay here for 5 nights and had room service the 1st night which food was ok. Second night I was told by the staff that the items on menu was not able due to ingredients not available. Not to mention that there was only about 5 items on the entire menu! So I had no option but to walk down the street to eat subway and macdonalds. Yet the hotel claims it is 5star, it is clear and certain to me this information is not accurate. The hotel is not worth the price which limited service available for guest.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank lobster1972

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2010

The Boss and I stayed here for one night at the start of our Adelaide to Melbourne road trip over the New Year's period 2009/2010.

What a fun, funky place it is.

We forked out extra for the corner Balcony suite and think it was money well spent - the room was spacious, very cool, and very well equipped. If I wanted to nit pick then the bathroom could have been larger but, honestly, it was perfectly adequate.

The staff were terrific in that I-don't-care-who-you-are-I'm-warm-to-everyone welcoming way that you only seem to get in Australia. Nothing was too much trouble and they really did make us feel special.

We did not eat in the restaurant (it was closed that night - Boxing Day holiday) but the breakfast was terrific - but then again, we only ordered toast and coffee in our rooms as we anticipated a big lunch that day.

We loved the rooftop pool with it's terrific view over the city and the distant hills.

My only complaint as such is that it is in quiet corner of Adelaide - it was about a 10-15 minute walk to Rundle Street. Then again, that might be a plus depending upon your viewpoint. Honestly it did not bother us.

Oh and we booked directly via their website. For some odd reason, it grabbed the money up front when we booked the room. Why? Could it be because we were booking from an overseas IP address? Additionally, they forced a NO CANCELLATION policy on us (yes, in UPPERCASE too), which seems pretty severe to me. Again, I wonder if this was because we made our booking from the UK? Anyway that left a slightly sour taste in the mouth, and I'd very very cautious of this if I were on business, but it wouldn't put me off staying there again. I really enjoyed our stay there - it was one of the highlights of our trip Down Under.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Spent a few nights at the Soho Clarion with my partner in the Corner Balcony Suite. Whilst the hotel overall was very good, there were a couple of things that didn't sit very well with us - thats why we didn't give 5 stars.

Whilst checking in, the lady at the front seemed to be fairly sour - the check in process was about as dry as a nunnery. We were thrown a piece of paper to sign and given our key and that was about it - minimal feel good chatter that would one expect from a 5 star hotel.... We made our way to our room and struggled with the key card in the door for a brief moment until we figured this one out for ourselves.

The room itself was on the small side, but knowing that the hotel has much smaller rooms than ours - we felt lucky. The king side bed was nice, but the pillows were awkward (they were those weird down pillows where one is not enough and two is too much - was hard to get comfortable!). The artwork was great and complemented the fit out of the room - the TV was great and had the standard TV channels + a few foxtel channels + three movie channels... the AirCon was cool & reliable which was fantastic.

The bathroom was very small (think 1m width x 2m depth!) which contained a toilet, sink and shower. The shower was the worst i've had yet, in that in sprays a "mist" of water at you unlike a normal shower that uses droplets of water - water ended up everywhere. Seriously - worst shower ever. Going to the toilet left nothing to the imagination for the other occupant in the room also - good thing my partner and I are comfortable with this level of personal intimacy!!

Internet was a complete rip off also: $27.50 for 24 hours (this would normally be OK - however it only has a max 100Mb download limit, with 10c per MB thereafter) or $10 for 2 hours / 30Mb.... the business centre doesn't have free internet - you still need to pay the above rates. Slack!

Breakfast. On each of the three mornings we had breakfast delivered to our room - the quality of the food was totally below par and was probably the biggest disappointment of our stay (given the prices they charge). The bircher muesli was far too dry - the toast was rock hard - the bacon was shockingly fatty - the pancakes were too thick and were rock hard. In all cases, it seemed like the breakfasts were sitting around for half an hour before being delivered - quite poor considering the quality of the restaurant downstairs.

Had a couple of dinners at the restaurant - not too bad, very quaint & small, but selection is poor (i.e. three options for entre, four options for main, three options for dessert). The degustation we had on one of the nights was reasonable, however a few of the courses were crap and some matching wines were shocking. Service was below par with two very young & inexperienced, albeit friendly, waitresses. However, if I had to rate the restaurant (minus the breakfast crap) I would give them 7/10.

Parking was an issue. As we arrived on a Friday evening we couldn't find a park on the street near the hotel - there is no onsite hotel carparking spaces available for guests. That night, we used that valet which costs $30 a night. The next day, we found car parking spots on the street close to the hotel, so that was OK.

All in all, its a four star hotel with a few five star elements.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank haydensydney
Melbourne
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I just stayed for one night, but was really impressed. Well decorated and modern, if smallish room. Great flat screen TV in the room, and probably the best room service food I have had. This is a small hotel, so you don’t have to bother with crowds of people at reception and in the bar. I really liked it – and will return. Valet parking @ $30 a night, but plenty of street parking just outside.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed here for 3 days for business in October 2009. I was a tad hesitant about booking this hotel due to the mixed reviews but got a great deal so thought I would give it a whirl.

Firstly, yes the hallways are dark. Assume it adds to the vibe but a few hallway lights would help. The use of the room key was clearly explained to me on check in.

The room was clean and well presented. All very modern and minimalist. Huge TV and they offer a service where you can borrow DVD's (about 40 on list) from the front desk for no charge. The paper was at my door every morning.

Breakfast was good. I had it included in my room price BUT be clear - this includes one main only - not your coffee or any bacon on the side. The breakfast hours on a weekend were 8am onwards which was tight for me with 0830 meeting one day. I would think 7am is more normal?

The bathroom is small but not as tiny as I thought it might be. Beautifical Natio amenities which were all replensihed DAILY. Big tick. Look, if you want a romantic weekend with a big spa to relax in, no, you are not going to be happy with the bathroom. For me on my own and just using it to get ready, it was fine.

This is the far end of town for people wanting to stay close to the mall and night life. It took me, a fast walker, 10-15 minutes to get to Rundle mall. Then again, cabs are cheap in Adelaide so was not fussed about being away from the centre.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Clarion Soho is new and has been thoughtfully put togethor. It is in a quiet location, but very accessible for eateries, botanic gardens etc. The hotel is stylish, yet understated. Service is as high quality as the hotels architecture and appointment. The accompanying restaurant is superb. I'll stay at other hotels in Adelaide occasionally for a change, but this has fast become my mainstay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business