“disappointing Mantra” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mantra on Frome
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Adelaide
“disappointing Mantra”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my first time in Adelaide and I must say that I was impressed with the city. I decided to stay at the "Mantra on Frome" as the location was fairly good, with just a short walk to the far end of the main shopping and restaurant strip of the CBD. Reception was friendly and efficient and the 1 bedroom apartment that we stayed in was very clean and had a balcony overlooking Frome street which was disappointingly "standing room only". Unfortunately I feel that the Mantra on Frome was not up to the usual standard of other Mantra accommodation that I have stayed at in Australia. The bedroom/ lounge and bathroom lay out was very poor and it appeared to be the same size room as a Studio room but just with some walls added to make it a 1 bedroom apartment. This made the room a small and poorly laid out apartment with a tiny bathroom.
Overall I found the staff, cleanliness and price etc all excellent. The location above average but the 1 bedroom apartment that we stayed in one of the worst designed that I have ever stayed in and one would be better off to just stay in a studio room. Would I stay at the Mantra on Frome again? After having stayed here and now having a feel for the layout of Adelaide....No...... there is other accommodation with better rooms and a more central location.

Room Tip: Avoid the 1 bedroom apartment.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CaryF
Daniel A, General Manager at Mantra on Frome, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Cary F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mantra on Frome.
It was great to see the service, cleanliness, sleep quality and value was to your expectations.

I am rather confused as to why you had an issue with the one bedroom apartments. All our one bedroom apartments have a separate lounge area from the bedroom, kitchen area, laundry facilities, and bathroom. I apologise for the poorly laid out apartment configuration that you mention but from our experiences, most guests love these rooms and will often request these on their future stays.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your issues in more detail. Personally I would like to know what room you were allocated so I can relate to your comments. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Daniel Ap-Thomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Indonesian first
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The CBD fringe location was helpful being within walking distance of a number of restaurants & cafes. More importantly it was very close to the place I was working for a few days, who paid for the accommodation. The room itself was clean & comfortable but nothing special. The reception staff were great, printing out my boarding pass when the free printer attached to the free computer in reception failed. What was disappointing was the room service, coming as it did from the independent restaurant downstairs that apparently has won national attention. They actually forgot my order & even when I rang again an hour later, it took over another 30 minutes to deliver a vegetarian cold platter that was less than appetizing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Daniel A, General Manager at Mantra on Frome, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear tropicaltraveller9,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Mantra on Frome, although hearing about your situations disappoints me, I’m happy to hear some positives in your review about the Mantra staff. Following up on the issues you experienced from Andre's Cucina & Polenta Bar – as you mentioned in your review “they are independent” – unfortunately we have no control over these guys but if you feel strongly enough, please feel free to make a review under restaurants.

I hope that we can have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future, and please free feel to contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that your stay is a pleasant one.

Kind Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We got a great deal through the entertainment book for a 2 bedroom fully self contained and for the price we paid it was great!
The location is excellent we walked to rundle mall, restaurants and coffee shops and the Italian downstairs is as good as my Nonnas we ate there several times it was so good!!!
The parking fee was expensive $18 a night however being a city I guess that's how it is.
The room had everything we needed and having daily maid service was great as they topped up laundry and dish washing powders etc! My only gripe was when we arrive late at night I put my baby to bed then later on my husband found all the doors unlocked and one was wide open! It also caused the apartment to be freezing cold. The air con was in the lounge so unfortunately wasn't able to heat the whole apartment so we were cold at night. They also had lights and things hanging out the walls and cracks through the bathroom could definitely do with a make over!
The staff were all very friendly.
Would stay here again for the price it's definitely great value for money.

Stayed May 2014
Dear JessieMatt,

Thank you for your review about your stay at Mantra on Frome. It is always nice to hear positive feedback like this. At the end of the day it's all about the guest experience and to hear your comments about Andre’s Cucina and Polenta Bar is fantastic. I apologise for the car parking charge being expensive but compared to my competitors I’m quite a few dollars cheaper for CBD parking. I’d also like to thank you for the feedback in regards to the air-conditioner this has been duly noted.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed for one night over Easter and loved it! Apartment was spacious and clean and the Reception staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is in a perfect location to walk to shops and loads of restaurants. We had dinner at Andre's Cucina and Polenta Bar which is onsite at the hotel. It was brilliant - just another reason to stay at this hotel!

Dear Regan S,

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome. We do pride ourselves on our service and I am pleased that you found everything to your satisfaction.

It is always nice to hear positive feedback. At the end of the day it's all about the guest experience and to hear your comments about Andre’s Cucina and Polenta Bar is fantastic. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed on Mantra on Frome for a couple of nights during Easter and was overall satisfied with the facilities provided in the 2 bedroom self contained apartment. The good thing about the apartment is it provides daily room cleaning service (upon request during Easter). You can borrow a DVD player from reception if required but WIFI is not free for customers. Its location is definitely a plus point. Some areas which would have helped boost its ratings - allocate air condition in the room because it was rather stuffy with only one air conditioner for the entire apartment. Also, would be good to have exhaust fan in the bathroom/toilet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Daniel A, General Manager at Mantra on Frome, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear lisa_lisa501,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Mantra on Frome. I would like to apologise for the Wifi charges, but please note that we do offer a 1 GB usage for the $10 for future references – plus we offer free Wifi service in the foyer of the hotel which is accessible for all guests. I’d also like to thank you for the feedback in regards to the air-conditioner this has been duly noted. On behalf of the team at Frome we look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re in Adelaide.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Thank you Mantra on Frome for such fabulous accommodation and for your lovely receptionist Catherine. My husband and I stayed in a studio apartment for two nights and were more than happy with everything. It is located near many good restaurants and is walking distance to the zoo and art gallery. Catherine on the front desk was more than helpful and couldn't do enough for us. Reasonable rates, great bed and very quiet even though it is central to everything. Thank you.

1 Thank Cher G
Dear Cher G

Thank you for your glowing review about your stay at Mantra on Frome.
We do pride ourselves on our service and I am pleased that you found Catherine to be so helpful.

It is always nice to hear that we were close proximity to all your requirements, and look forward to welcoming you both
back in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Staying in Adelaide for a Fringe Festival concert. It was in a great location about 15 mins from the airport with local pubs and various attractions such as the zoo near by. It was an easy walk to the Fringe Festival. We booked a one bedroom, however even after request we weren't able to get two singles. So one of us was out on the sofa bed which was quite bent and out of shape. The Foxtel was pretty pathetic, only an "Foxtel Help" channel, Disney and 2 sport channels. All over quite a nice stay.

Room Tip: Be aware that you may not be able to get two singles in a One Bedroom. Sofa bed as expected - not co...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PurpleOwl56
Dear PurpleOwl56,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Mantra on Frome. It is always nice to hear positive feedback especially when we are located in the close proximity to all your requirements. I’d also like to thank you for the feedback in regards to bedding configuration. Unfortunately we do not have any one bedroom apartments with two single beds only in the 2 bedrooms, and due to the extremely busy period it’s unfortunately we were not able to upgrade you.

It also disappoints me to hear about the Foxtel as we currently offer 6 channels including the three Fox sport channels. So I am unsure why this was not working for you at the time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.