“Excellent location and great rooms”
Review of Mantra on Frome

Mantra on Frome
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I have stayed at Mantra on Frome on a number of occassions, with friends, family and for the obligatory boys weekend. In short, I am a big fan of the hotel.

The apartment rooms are of a generous size with good ameneties and the refurbished rooms are very nice. Beds are comfy and with the good kitchen and laundry facilities extended stays are a pleasure not having to always buy out. BUT, if you are a fan of restaurants and eateries the hotel is very close to an excellent range, including the one in the hotel. Service is always firendly and helpful and the rooms are neat, tidy and very comfortable to stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay, singles, families or just a bunch of friends. Hope you enjoy Adelaide.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

997 - 1,003 of 1,024 reviews

Reviewed 2 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel for My best friend's wedding and it was nothing but fantastic. The staff were smiling and friendly on all encounters. The room was perfect. It was nicely decorated clean and exceptionally comfortable. We had a large kitchen and dining table, perfect for a champagne breakfast and the lounge area was spacious enough for us all to sit around and get hair, makeup etc done.

My friend had her wedding photos in the room and they have come out stunning. The modern decor and freshly painted walls were an excellent background for group shots and the beautifully framed doors and sunlight set off her sillouette amazingly.

The night of the wedding my friends and I stayed with our partners and enjoyed it equally as much.

I would definately stay again and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2010

As a family we travel quite a lot and stay in self contained apartments. We arrived in Adelaide to go to see the Giant Pandas. My friend had organised free parking. When I mentioned this at check-in I was told that it was 'highly' unlikely. Luckily my friend had her email to prove it. We had booked a two bedroom apartment for the five of us. The internet description had photos of a spacious apartment. We arrived to our room and you couldn't swing a cat in the kitchen. Very small with minimal bench space. The beds were comfortable though. I called the manager and he stated that they can't take photos of every room and that they had upgraded my friends accomodation as he knew ours wasn't suitable, in order to keep us happy. I asked for an upgrade which I was to pay but they had no rooms. The kettle, pots and pans, cups and plates needed to be washed as housekeeping had not done their job properly. Same experience in my friend's apartment. On the second day we found a used condom in the bedside table. Well what can be said - luckily the kids didn't. We would have left the hotel however we did not want to spoil our holiday with our friends as they stayed at the Mantra in Queensland and had suggested the hotel chain.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CCK01
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We had a two bedroom suite on the first floor, so it came with a large balcony. The furnishings were new and there were plenty of tea bags. The air conditioning was fine for a fairly hot week (3 night stay) of high 30s. We had to turn it down so as not to freeze.

Parking (extra $15/night) in the underground park required negotiating a tight turning circle and there were scrape marks on the concrete, so it's not ideal for a '57 Chevy Impala or a large SUV unless you are used to such corners. When the weather is cooler you might prefer a large public car park in the next block.

The location was very convenient to Rundle Mall and the casino. Didn't try the restaurant.

The only negative was spotting a small cockroach on the kitchen bench - we have never seen one in Werribee VIC where we live, so it was a novelty. This might not faze people coming from more urban centres.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Stayed here on work during Adelaide's heatwave when it topped 42 deg C. I had a 2 bedroom apartment which was nicely appointed, very well maintained, kept clean. The hotel has a great location, just south of Rundle Mall/Street.
Unfortunately, the building can not cope with heat. My room had one AC unit which unfortunately could not cool either bedroom. I had to purchase a fan on the first night and the AC was generally left on which made sleeping very uncomfortable. I have stayed at other hotels under similar conditions and they have coped. Unfortunately, I could not recommend staying here during high temperatures for this reason alone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sap78au
Reviewed 17 November 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Mantra on Frome for five nights during a heatwave in Adelaide. I had read a couple of negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but we were having difficulty finding accommodation and decided to give it a go. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. Although the fitout is quite attractive, and aesthetically our apartment was quite satisfactory there are a few major problems. Firstly cleanliness and secondly the airconditioning system.
The first thing I discovered was that the kitchen and bathroom floors were dirty. Although the apartment had obviously been serviced, the bathroom floor was covered in hair, including pubic hair. The kitchen floor was gritty. Also some glasses and cutlery were dirty.
However I must add that after I complained staff were quick to put this right (the floors at least) and the apartment was well maintained for the rest of our stay.
The airconditioning situation is seriously flawed in this hotel. As other reviewers have noted, there are no openable windows in the apartments. There has been a problem with the balconies for years (we stayed here around 2002 and it was the same then) so you can't open the french doors to get cool air inside. There is another window at the back of the apartment in the rear bedroom, but it does not open and is only there to catch a small amount of borrowed light from an internal atrium. This atrium is not vented at the top so hot air is basically caught in the building and cannot escape. There is no airconditioning system in the building, so all the corridors are hot and stuffy. I don't know how they can make staff work in these conditions. The only airconditioning is in the form of a split system in the lounge room of the apartment. There is no airconditioning in the other rooms, so in order to cool them down you need to put the air-con on maximum setting and leave the doors open. However, as there is no openable windows on the other side there is no movement of air through the apartment and the back bedroom stayed hot throughout our stay. They set this back bedroom up as the second bedroom (for our kids' use) which was ok, but this room is obviously supposed to be the master bedroom as it is larger and contains the phone and internet connections as well as a desk. The other bedroom is quite small and there is only room for one bedside table. I imagine that this hotel would be quite ok to stay in during the winter months. However in Summer it is far from ideal.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Edierem99
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel over the Easter period this year for a family wedding. Nearly one whole floor was booked for us. We all had a mixture of 2 and 3 bedroom apartments and other guests had single hotel rooms and studios.

The hotel was absolutely spotless & clean and everything was new and shiny and looked like it had never been used. We had a kitchenette with everything you could require and the other apartments had bigger kitchens with full sized fridges and complete laundries. The beds were new and didn't bow in the middle and the linen was crisp and fresh. The carpet was all new and the bathrooms were top class with all the usual little soaps and bits and pieces one expects from a hotel such as this.

A drawback with both bedrooms was there were no drawers or luggage racks or anywhere to put your case. We had to put everything on the floor and by the end of the 3 days, there were things everywhere.

One big criticism was that is was hot inside and we couldn't open any windows and the balconies were locked shut as the handles had been removed, so we couldn't get outside for fresh air. The reception did inform us that the balconies had some problem and were supposed to have been rectified prior to us checking in but unfortunately it didn't happen and we cooked. The aircon was the same throughout the hotel and we couldn't find any control boxes anywhere on the floor. In the middle of the night we all kicked our blankets off as it was very stuffy in the rooms. But this hiccup has possibly been fixed by now.

The staff were extremely helpful and when we phoned down for someone to make up the sofa beds and bring us extra milk and other tid bits, they were there in a flash and very friendly.

The 3 bedroom apartment was very spacious with a large 6 seater dining table, lounge area and a large kitchen and laundry.

There was a restaurant downstairs that was shut during our stay. I did notice teas and coffees and breakfast cereals in there but we were told the place was shut down over the Easter period. This was disappointing as they had the facilities but possibly due to staffing, they didn't open up.

I thought the price was a little steep at $280 a night plus $15 a night for the car space. The 3 nights cost us $900. I wouldn't recommend it for the average family of mum, dad and the kids unless of course you don't mind spending up big. Plus there's nowhere for the kids to play, there's no pool or gym or anything other than your room. And if the balcony doors ever get opened up, I'd be far too scared to have young kids in there. I see it as more of a corporate business type hotel or couples.

Its on a busy city corner only a stone's throw from the city center which was excellent and walking distance to the Botanical Gardens where we had the wedding.

We found a convenience store down the road on North Terrace which was a life saver and plenty of pubs for drinks and meals.

I'd much rather have stayed down the beach if I'd had my choice, but that's only my opinion.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family