“Seasoned traveller”

Hostel 109 Flashpackers
london
“Seasoned traveller”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have been many places in my travels and hostel 109 has net my expectations and standard. its central location is ideal and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It could do with more of entertainment /wifi and would be nice to open the windows but for the most part travellers are out and about so this is a minor consideration. its great to have access to bike and signpostings to sightseeing tours checked out by the staff for good measure. the internet worked fine for me and it was great having a room where there was a a clean towel and a made up bed.
cleanliness can always be a problem if backpackers abuse the venue but whilst I was there it was kept very clean and nothing was too much trouble for staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend actually stayed at Adelaide Backpackers, that's just across the street and owned by the same guys (who are all really nice and helpful!!)! We stayed for 4 nights, and we were really satisfied about it!! The rooms, kitchen and bathroom/showers were always really clean and everything was incredibly organised! They have free bike rent, which was really handy! The price is a little high, but totally worth it!! Definitely recommend, and I would stay here again for sure!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MayraBizari
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

When i have been traveling around Australia its been rather terrible and each hostel/motel was getting worse. Until i arrived in Adelaide and stayed at Hostel 109.
When i arrived i was greeted by friendly, smiley and happy staff who took me around the hostel and shown the facilities (other hostels you are shoved a key and made to go up there yourself, not knowing where or what the facilities are on offer)
The Hostel has 4 computers which has internet for free (times i have had to pay $7-10 a day!) and the wifi works all around the hostel, even in your room. There are high usage sites like youtube which are blocked which is a shame but i understand why due internet usage limits/not slowing down for everyone else.
I walked into my room and a made bed (places i have stayed give me sheets to make my own bed), desk, wardrobe, soap and towel provided which was great as there is nothing worse than carrying your own wet towel around Australia in your bag.
There was no windows that you can open in the rooms, however this was expected as you read it in reviews. It was hot but we had the AC on, when it got too cold you just ask the staff to turn it off which was not a problem. Its better than having people leave AC on when they dont need it/go out (which i detest!)
Kitchen was clean and well stocked, there was no fighting over kitchenware and the other guests respected the area (ie cleaned up afterwards) They provided free tea and coffee which was great.
Showers and toilets are clean and had plenty of soap/toilet paper stocked. The laundry room had 2 washers and dryers which worked well and they provided free washing soap.
The staff are friendly and know a lot about Adelaide and make some great recommendations, you can also hire free bikes to explore on. With a central location anywhere is 5-10 minutes away.
I think the hostel is great, value for money and don't feel like i am being charged for everything i do and use unlike others i have stayed at. The atmosphere, the guests, staff, the hostel and facilities are correct of the great lonely planet, trip advisor reviews that brought me here.
Now i wonder if anything can beat this on my further travels?

Room Tip: respect your fellow neighbors in relation to noise (thin walls) and they will do the same :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sj89228
Lorrach, Germany
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have been here for 3 nights. We thought we will give it a chance and also all feedbacks here are in average pretty good. But maybe we arrived on the wrong time. Here is our pros and cons list:
pros:
+ staff is friendly and trying to help
+ TV corner
+ nice balcony
cons:
- "fake" windows in the rooms to a light well. This means no fresh air.
- central controlled a/c system, you have to tell the staff in case you want to change the temperature
- bad old kitchen smell in the rooms. Explanation of the owner : "As we want to save energy costs, we are using "recycled" air." Really bad excuse. Why do you push the old smelly kitchen air in the rooms?
- Internet is most of the time not working: Excuse of the owner: "There are too many people using it." This is also a bad excuse. Nowadays it should be possible (also in Australia) to have a proper internet connection for such a hostel. It should be clear that a hostel of this size has more than 10 internet users. It seems they want to make a lot of money here and saving on the basic stuff.
- A lot of internet services are not working on MacOS. Maybe ports are blocked. Mail, iTunes, AppStore, Evernote, Twitter is not working. Excuse of the owner: "You need to try it several times because of too many people using the internet".
- Rooms seemed to be clean, but there were a lot of hairs in the beds
- toilets, showers and kitchen are disgusting. This depends for sure on the people who are staying there and using it, but it seems the owners are also not interested to improve it and to keep it clean and to talk to the people there. All basic camp sites we have been are much more clean than in Hostel 109.
- In all other backpackers we have been are trying to do something for the environment e.g. there are advises to save water and electricity. Here is the shower all day dripping and nobody cares.

Our recommendation: Try any other accommodation!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seppthethreat
Trevor A, Manager at Hostel 109 Flashpackers, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for providing a review. We continually look for feedback and it helps us understand our business better. We are sorry you found our Hostel didn't match your expectations.

Our free internet for instance is designed to cater for approximately 100 wi-fi connections. We have up to 40 guests so most of the time that is more than adequate. Although we can often provide assistance, we have to rely on our guests understanding their own equipment. It is a challenge to explain to a guest why their phone in one hand can connect and their computer on their lap can't.

We have a commercial air-conditioning system that has a significant proportion of fresh air replacement. We do have a relatively high flow of fresh air exchange which is enhanced when guests open their window into the indoor gardens and odours in any room clear quickly. We switch to complete air exchange when the ambient temperature is within an acceptable comfort range to most people (about 20-25C). When it is 32C outside, most people appreciate the air-conditioning.

We are always willing to talk to the people who stay with us and do appreciate our guests bringing problems to our attention as it is not possible to be everywhere at all times, just as we appreciate reviews.
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 November 2013

we spend a very good time
the staff is very helpfull and can advise you to find a backpacker's job.
the room is plaisant and clean
we spend a very good time in this hostel, closed to the cbd.
the central market is 5 min walking

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the review. We're very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and greatly appreciate your feedback.
Puchong
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed in a twin room for 3 nights. Booked from hostelbookers. Easy to get here from airport by taxi. Only about 20 mins. Room and bath is clean. Wifi and internet is free. Cooking facilities are also good. Coffee is free for breakfast. About 10 mins to walk to Central Market. They also provide the free Adelaide bicycles where you can use them until 7PM. Service is fantastic. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Bali, null, Indonesia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked hostel 109 with the attention of staying there for 2 nights (and longer is the hostel was good enough) when I arrived I was met by trev the owner who was very polite and told me once I checked in there was only space for one day, meaning that he has overbooked ! so I though fair enough he will get me a room with me having an confirmation booking for the two nights, I was woken up with loud music at 7am because the walls was so thin! the air con didn't work and the matress was so hard it hurt my back, the morning after I was rudely woken to a knock on the door to be told I had to check out by some guy on work experience !, this is when I had a huge problem, the manager was a huge mess ! he didn't care about me, was extremely rude and snotty, texting on his iphone whilst i was speaking and getting advice, he told me to check out and that were was no rooms for me that night ! after me having confirmation, so I asked was there was any dorms or double rooms, I didn't care what the price was, he SAID NO and just looked at me ! Adelaide was busy that weekend so unfortunately I had to sleep in the roughest place ever over a pub in the cbd !, and to finish, my friends reccomened me to stay there so I also told my friends and they booked at the same time, meaning I had to leave them ! hostelbookers and hostelworld borh said there was rooms available that night ! the hotel said there wasn't ! who was lieing !!! ... IF YOU WANT A GREAT HOSTEL THEN VISIT but believe me the service is terrible ! even the cleaner looks at you like a pile of poo.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Perryk721
Thanks for the review and we are sorry that we could not find a second night (or longer) for you to stay.
Hostel 109 is very popular and we do suggest to our guests that they book for the length of time they would like to stay when they make the initial booking. When we are busy as we often are, it is not possible to book extra nights at short notice.
We don't like to disappoint guests who wish to stay longer, but overbooking is not something we can do.
We hope you can come back for a longer time when next you visit Adelaide.