“The Bar staff are terrible!”

Crowne Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“The Bar staff are terrible!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Overall not a bad hotel but always let down by the poor attitude of the bar staff. I've stayed at the Crone Plaza Adelaide several times and always pass feedback on respectfully, yet it amazes me that nothing seems to be done about this problem. My wife, son and I attempted to have a drink and the tapas type menu. As a always there are plenty of staff, however they are experts of walking past customers looking unhappy, failing to see a person wanting service, and generally radiating their unhappiness with their jobs. This is in contrast to their happiness out of sight behind the bar in a cluster chattering and texting away.

If they don't like serving people..try another job.

When will the GM get this right? As a Platinum Ambassador I now stay at the Inter Continental

Room Tip: Get a drink somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne G
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Wayne G,

I am very sorry that you have found the service in our bar far from satisfactory. I can assure you I do take all of the feedback I receive seriously and am disappointed that you feel nothing gets done. In the last couple of months we have made changes to our management in the restaurant and employed new bar staff.

I would really like to gain some further insight from you and would appreciate if you could email me on linda.collis@ihg.com so we can arrange a time to speak.

Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Having never been to Adelaide before or know what to expect when booking from afar (a place to stay) which you can only hope is clean, has good service & a good location, i could not be happier with the Crowne Plaza. We're still in the middle of our 7day stay & just want to give credit where credit is due based on our experience.

The location is perfect. Although its right in the city (literally a 2minute walk to the mall), I've had no issue with noise that often comes with staying in most city places.

Good service should be such a simple thing to do for any business (unfortunately not the case for many hotels) but thankfully here, I've always appreciated the smiles & the 'hello's; whether it be from the cleaning ladies, reception, the restaurant staff & especially the concierges. And of course any request I've had; they've always helped & go that one step more. Its the simple things!

Although we're here with 2 small kids AND staying for a whole week, the rooms are lovely & clean with very comfortable beds, decent bathroom shelving space and the kids especially appreciate the wide window view….so do i. My son looks for the first star to make his wish each night :-)

The only reason i couldn't rate it excellent this time (& honestly its a small thing) but after enjoying the most delicious meal in their restaurant 'Red Salt', we asked whilst still there could we get dessert to take upstairs (& this too was suggested to us). It was $9.50 on the menu but when we eventually got it delivered (1 dessert, 1 hour later), it was then $19. I do understand room service add charges etc but the fact it was suggested for us to take it upstairs & I ordered right there, i just didn't think the $10.50 mark up was valid for the same dessert. Like i said, such a minor thing & only reason why i didn't tick excellent. But still fully recommend RedSalt for its beautiful meals, especially the steak we were lucky to enjoy. Amazing!

As a first time visitor here, and for the same reasons towards both Adelaide as a city & Crowne Plaza as a hotel, I'm impressed with both their great service, facilities & amazing food which has been more than a pleasant surprise & look forward to returning to both. And thankfully i know I'm already returning in a few months. Yah!

Thankyou & please keep it up :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BlueCharlie0102
Dear BlueCharlie0102,

It is so nice to hear that you have found Adelaide and Crowne Plaza to be a great place - we think it is too! I will follow up regarding your dessert and have this fixed up - it sounds to me like you have been double charged accidentally.

Now you know your way around I do hope you will continue to use our hotel as your home away from home when visiting Adelaide.

Please email me directly on linda.collis@ihg.com so we can organise a refund for the incorrect dessert charges.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having checked into this hotel on the 26th Jan 2014 late at light went to our room exhausted went straight to sleep. When we woke in the morning could see the room was filthy!! Cigarette ends everywhere and empty beer and cola bottles. We had slept in a dirty room!

When went down to reception to inform them of this the young girl at the desk did not seem bothered about this information and not even apologise she said ok it must be a one off thing. Unfortunately not get the name of the girl but we spoke to her morning of the 27th of january

horrified by experience

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 331vic
Linda C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear 331vic,

I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience. We are currently undergoing an investigation to find out how this could have happened. It is certainly not acceptable and nor is the way you were dealt with. As a non smoking hotel I am even more horrified that no one had noticed a previous guest had been smoking. I am assuming this was on your balcony not in fact in your room.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have taken your feedback very seriously.

If you would like to discuss this further directly with me, please contact me on linda.collis@ihg.com.

Linda

Please accept my sincere apologies once again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Had a great stay here for the opening of Adelaide Fringe. Fantastic location, walking distance to City centre, galleries and botanical garden. The valet car park is convenient but be prepared to pay an exorbitant amount. Our flight was cancelled and the staff at the hotel were very obliging in assisting us with rebooking for one night at late notice. Clean, comfortable, great choice of pillows, spacious.

Room Tip: You want a room that does not face the car park.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear atir62,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our location suited your needs. I appreciate you acknowledging the team's willingness to assist.

I do understand carparking in the city can be expensive compared to other places, I am glad you still found a lot to like about the hotel.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

When I'm travelling for work for a week or more it's always good to stay in a comfortable hotel and Crowne Plaza Adelaide was just that. After work, I always looked forward to going back to my room. The bed was extremely comfortable and I was able to get a good night's rest.

I accessed the gym which had decent functioning equipment. Usually gyms are dingy, tired, with worn equipment. This was great. The only problem was, it was packed every morning at around 5:30 to 6:00am. I was shocked. Maybe they should think about extending their hours or going 24 hours, either that or expand their gym to get more cardio machines in. It was a bit claustrophobic.

The breakfast spread was vast and overall tasty.

The location is only a block away from Rundle Mall to do some shopping or hit the supermarket. Another day I walked to Chinatown and it was only a 20min walk at the most.

Overall, very happy with my stay, although a bit pricey, but I got what I paid for really.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear GlobalChub,

We so often receive feedback regarding being great for a short stay so I really appreciate you sharing your experience for a longer stay. I am also very happy to hear that enjoyed your time with us and found us comfortable.

I will look into the possibility of opening the gym earlier.

Thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts, it is important that we receive regular feedback so we can continue to improve.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

This is an excellently located hotel. Close to restaurants and shops, buses in front of the hotel. We had a standard room which was very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent large selection of food. We ate dinner I the Resturant which was good too. We will definitely stay again

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Greymaambo,

Thank you for your very kinds words, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again. I hope you are having a great week.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Historically I had not visited a Crown Plaza for many years. However, the rooms are modern, clean, and spacious with a large desk that is wonderful for working. The bathroom are spacious as well. There is a small lounge downstairs. There is also an independent restaurant/lounge downstairs as well. It is not a romantic venue but I think it is appropriate for a short stay especially while on business.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear docfoodie2013,

Thank you for staying with us particularly as you had not visited a Crowne Plaza for many years, I am so pleased you chose us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our rooms and facilities appropriate for your short business stay.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.