“Beautiful, confortable place to stay with fantastic staff!”

Crowne Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I stayed for 3 nights and overall it was a lovely hotel, with fantastic staff. I arrived early in the morning, and didn't expect a room to be ready, but the hotel was more than happy to look after my bag until check in time (and again when I checked out until my late afternoon flight). When I checked in, I was given a disabled access room with a view of the carpark behind the hotel. I was unhappy with this, and the reception staff promptly arranged for a porter to move me to a much nicer room overlooking the park.

The room was fantastic. Comfortable bed, big pillows, 37 inch LCD TV (which I was able to plug my laptop and DVD player into), minibar fridge with tea and coffee and a huge bathroom. The toiletries were of a nice standard too. There was a safe in the wardrobe which was big enough for my laptop. My only issue was with the pillows and doona (duvet). They were all feather, which had me sneezing by the 3rd night. I'm sure if I asked they would have been able to replace them with something else. The doona was also FAR too warm for climate in Adelaide in Autumn.

The other facilities also looked great, although I didn't use them. There was a lap pool, spa, sauna, steam room and large gym. The restaurant also looked inviting, and I did have a coffee from the bar that was very nice. There is a free use business centre with internet computers. Wi Fi though is $27a day, which is extraordinary beyond words! There is free Wi Fi if you sit on the park benches outside the hotel, and in most places around the CBD.

The best part of my stay was the staff. They were all very friendly, and happy to help with any request. I would stay again based entirely on my experience with the staff. My only recommendation is to ask for a room overlooking the park (all of the rooms at the back of the building look into a carpark up to the 8th or 9th floor).

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BrisbaneBrad
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Adelaide

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Average hotel that initially appeals, but thats really only because it's shiny and new.
The actual fit out is average and will very soon look tired.
Certainly not a 5 star Crowne Plaza in keeping with its international counterparts.

The location in the corner of the square traps and accentuatesa lot of the exterior noise, as well being close to pubs and clubs of Rundle street the square itself attracts a lot of late night 'hangers on' for you to listen to until the early hours.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spearham
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My excellent stay at the Crowne Plaza in Adelaide started before I'd set foot inside the ground. I was welcomed promptly and was swept into reception, checked in and up to my room in no time at all. The staff were really on the top of their game; I was very impressed.

The room itself should be a model for all hotels to emulate. The space allocated to storage and to the bathroom leave every other hotel I've stayed in seeming like a tiny cupboard. The Crowne Plaza's were very generous which made me feel like the hotel had really thought about the usability of their rooms.

I had several meals sent to my room over the course of my stay. The only point of improvement lies here; it took a couple of attempts to reach room service one night - they were evidently extremely busy. Once ordered, each meal was generous and delivered quickly.

I can't speak highly enough of my encounters with all of the staff in both the hotel and the restaurant. Everything I requested was taken care of promptly and their advice turned out to be on the money. A special mention has to go to Rick at the concierge desk; he seems to be one of the best connected people in town.

1  Thank D0677
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I usually stay at one of the Oaks self-contained apartments on North Terrace (near the Convention Centre) when visiting Adelaide. However, this time around, I wanted to try somewhere a little closer to most of the amenities in the CBD.
Upon arriving to the hotel in mid-afternoon, one of the porters ran out to greet me and took my luggage while I check in. I must admit to being very impressed by the enthusiastic nature of all the staff. I've stayed in many hotels around the country and I can tell you I have come to not expect much so this was really pleasant.
As the hotel only opened in early April 2010, everything looked brand new. I was given a room on the 9th floor and it was just a floor above a parking building at the back of the hotel. Nothing spectacular but nothing to complain about. The room was nice and spacious for a short stay. I used the gym twice and there is enough equipment to cater for 5-6 people at a time. The TV on the the machines still wasn't operational during my stay but I'm sure it'll be very handy once it works.
Lastly, a word about taxis in Adelaide. They are far and few and you are better off walking to the top of Rundle Mall (just across the street) and catch one at the designated taxi rank. There seems no point in calling and booking one. It's just a waste of time...

2  Thank Philippe V
Reviewed 2 May 2010

wife and i stayed at the new crowne plaza just for one night.
we found it to be a pleasant and enjoyable stay.
check in was a breeze, made very easy by james who was friendly and efficient.
the decor is tasteful, modern and understated, not flashy and gaudy which may become dated quickly in the future though.
the room we had was on the 9th floor, not much of a view though as it overlooked the buildings next to the hotel.
the room was a good size, king size bed, ample closet space for a few days stay.
very good size bathroom with a large shower.
we didn't use the restaurant as we went to the jasmine across the road for dinner, but we popped our head in to check it out and it seemed to be in keeping with the decor in the rest of the hotel.
we checked out the pool and spa on the second floor and again it would be all you would need for a few days stay.
we had a good nights sleep, no noise was heard from the street which considering that the hotel is located in a busy part of town with restaurants and pubs all within a short walk away.
all in all the crowne plaza is a good hotel in a very handy location for an inner city hotel.
we would recommend this hotel for anyone on a business trip to adelaide or a short getaway.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank dazAdelaide
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Stayed one night over the ANZAC Day weekend. Expecting to store our luguage on arrival from our early flight to Melbourne, we were surprised and grateful to be checked in immediately (at 8.30am). Our room was exactly as described on the website with great views of the Adelaide Hills and balcony with outdoor furniture.

Comfortable bed, very deep soaking tub and large shower too. Note complaints of noise from other reviews, we did not notice any and found our stay to be of very high standard. Whilst we have not stayed in Adelaide before, we have stayed at many hotels in the class around the world and found it to be of equal standard.

Breakfast was plentiful in redsalt restaurant, (though the view is lacking there) the food was hot and staff very courtesy. Based on the reviews on TA for hotels in Adelaide, this exceeded our expectations for both price, service and quality. Excellent location close to Rundall Mall, the Zoo (reason for our visit) and transport options. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyofMelbourne
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I spend approx. 200 nights per year in hotels around the globe and the new Crowne Plaza in Adelaide is a real disappointment.

Apart from the typical teething problems of a new hotel there is a numer of details that are just plainly not well thought.

The design of the rooms is quite nice, although my room was facing a parking facility (though on the 4th floor) and every time a car was parking I had the head light going through the room.

The towels in the bathroom are at the exact opposite of the shower. The closet to hang your suits is ridicously small.

The restaurant was fairly expensive and the quality of the food really disappointing. I paid 110 AUD for a steak, two sides, a dessert, and 2 glasses of wine.

The fact that on arrival I was downgraded to a regular room because of "maintenance problems" is probably one of the teething problems. However not the best first impression and you would at least expect some kind of apology and maybe a little compensation. But nothing of the sort...

On the next moring beacause of the location of the hotel and the morning traffic it took 25min to get a taxi.

Will I go back? Certainly not!

3  Thank skysailor1975