“It could have been better”
Review of iStay Precinct

iStay Precinct
Adelaide, Australia
“It could have been better”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband, me and our 2.5 year old stayed for 6 nights in a two bedroom apartment.

Great location. Central market and China town are only 5 minutes walk.
It looked modern and clean. The beds were very comfortable.

Basic items like shampoo, conditioner, body shower, dishwashing liquid and a scourer should be included. It is ridiculous that you find out about this on the welcome letter.

There is a building next door under construction and they start at 7am. Our windows were looking straight at it! Even the windows are double-glazed you could still hear the noise. Management should have mentioned it on their website.

We were staying on the weekend where the Rolling Stones were supposed to perform, and for that reason the prices suffered an increase on that Saturday. It shouldn't be allowed, but we had no choice but to stay, as every single hotel in the city was doing the same.

On our first night there was a noise that seemed to come from above the bathroom ceiling. I reported it to reception and within 5 minutes a maintenance person came to have a look and fixed it, so for that I give good points to the staff.

There is a washing machine/dryer in the bathroom that it was impossible to work out, as everytime I wanted to use it as the dryer, the clothes came humid so I ended up putting them in the balcony. An instruction book would have been helpul.

Overall it's a nice place but it needs improving.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks into the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with iStay Precinct; it is lovely to read you have enjoyed our location with easy access to Adelaide Central Markets and China Town. On arrival an iStay starter pack is provided which includes Tea & Coffee, Bath Towels, Bath Mat, Soap, Tea Towel, Cleaning Cloth, Dishwashing Liquid and Powder. Our pack does not contain a Hand Towel, Face Washer, Shampoo/Conditioner/Body Lotion, Laundry Powder, Scourer or Tissues however these items are stocked at our Reception should you wish to purchase any of these items for use during your stay. As in all city hotels some noise can be expected from surrounding streets and areas. We do hope you think of iStay Precinct again when travelling to Adelaide in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Check in was just awful. Arrived at 8pm but had been on the road all day since 4am so I was extremely tired and just wanted to get into a room. However, there was quite a line up at reception so it was a while before I got my turn. Only one person on the desk, seems a bit silly when obviously there was a whole swag of people all arrived on same plane and trying to book in. I do have to say though that the guy on reception very obligingly did change my room to one in the main building - I did not have the energy to walk through to the other building

Walking down the corridor to my room, I was dismayed by the carpets. They looked dingy and dirty and I thought "uh uh this doesn't look good". However, the apartment was a pleasant surprise. It was spacious and quite modern. It had a really nice outdoor area that could be closed in or windows opened depending on the weather. The appliances in the kitchen looked new and there was a good sized fridge and a full sized oven. However, the kitchen was very poorly equipped. Cutlery was non existent. There was just 3 forks, one butter knife and one dessert spoon. Nothing else! Not a teaspoon or anything else. There was 4 wine glasses but just one tumbler-type glass. 2 small coffee cups and just 1 mug. It was all very strange. Luckily I did not intend to be cooking or eating in that much. They did provide 4 small portions of milk but the very first one I opened was sour, totally curdled and disgusting. I just about threw up

The front door didn't fit properly and took quite a lot of pushing and shoving to close. Obviously other rooms were suffering the same fate as other residents made a lot of noise also trying to close their doors. Then imagine my horror on first day returning from work to find the door open!! I couldn't believe it. Fortunately it didn't look like anyone had been inside. But what a fright all the same. I then discovered you have to manually lock the door before leaving. Oh duh.

There was no air conditioning in the bedroom neither was there a fan, which would have helped as it was very warm and humid. I ended up having to switch the air conditioner in the lounge room on as full as it could go so that some modicum of cool air got the bedroom.

I was very glad I read other reviews about lack of toiletries and I made sure I took my own along with me. There was no hair dryer but on the third day I asked at reception if I could have one sent up. Took a very long while for one to arrive and when it did it was in a box and I think they had to run out to buy one

The bed was reasonably comfortable, even though it was a king split and the pillows were quite good too. I didn't get disturbed at all by traffic, street or construction noise. The funny whistling sound from the door that didn't close properly was annoying but not enough to keep me awake.

I really liked the location. Not too far to stroll down to the Gouger Street and all the wonderful restaurants there as well as the Central Markets. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hotel M, Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay and that you found our staff helpful and the apartment and location to your liking. I appreciate your comments in regards to cutlery etc as it is with feedback like this that allows us improve our service to our guests. I will be discussing this matter with the relevant department to ensure that our rooms are fully stocked, as they should be. I am h appy to hear that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you through our doors in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We stayed three nights in a one bedroom apartment which we found extremely comfortable. The location is great - just a five minute walk to the Central Markets, 20 minutes to Rundle Mall or half an hour easy walk to the Adelaide Oval. The kitchen is pretty well equipped although I do think they could lash out and give you a scourer (the dishcloth is pretty useless) and it would be good to have a coffee plunger. (We improvised with the dishcloth!) A couple of gripes: there is a new block being built next door and the noise started at 7am and went on until 6pm, including the weekend. You can close the windows and it cuts most of the noise but it's still there. As well, one of the channels on Foxtel that we wanted to watch didn't work and when we inquired at reception if it could be fixed we were met with indifference from the young woman on staff who said it was a maintenance problem and they wouldn't be in until tomorrow so basically bad luck. No one came to fix it the next day and we gave up on it but felt it could have been handled better. Be aware that you need to bring your own shampoo and if you need more than one towel each, bring them too. Parking is expensive and you can find on the street metered parking which is free after 12pm Saturday. On the whole, though, we enjoyed our stay - the bed is really, really comfortable - but felt that the staff could be a little more helpful. Would stay here again when travelling to Adelaide.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with iStay Precinct. It is great to hear you have found our apartments are in a great location for all the attractions of Adelaide. While a scourer is not supplied in our iStay pack on arrival we do have these, and additional supplies, available from Reception at an additional cost. We hope you think of us again when visiting Adelaide and look forward to welcoming you back to iStay Precinct in the future.
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights for work. Rooms are OK, but the shower head, seriously it is a joke. The water dribbles out. Something needs to be changed.
As a Oaks apartment be aware you do not get anything in the room other than towels. You can purchase basics from reception, for the price for the room I would expect these to be included.
Room does not get cleaned either, rubbish is left in the room for the stay.
Would I stay again, mmmm no, there are better options

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with iStay Precinct; it is disappointing to read you have not enjoyed your stay on this occasion with iStay Precinct. Our Maintenance team constantly check apartments for areas we can improve and your recommendation on the shower head has been noted. On arrival an iStay starter pack is provided which includes Tea & Coffee, Bath Towels, Bath Mat, Soap, Tea Towel, Cleaning Cloth, Dishwashing Liquid and Powder. Our pack does not contain a Hand Towel, Face Washer, Shampoo/Conditioner/Body Lotion, Laundry Powder, Scourer or Tissues however these items are stocked at our Reception should you wish to purchase any of these items for use during your stay. Should you wish to have our Housekeeping team service your apartment during your stay our Reception team can offer various servicing options; costs of servicing does vary on the level of service you wish to receive and the size of apartment booked. We do hope you think of iStay Precinct again when travelling to Adelaide in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed for a week in Adelaide in a one room apartment with 2 adults and 2 small children, when the hotel was fully booked for a test cricket match.

On the first day, we found a few things faulty.
1. the air-conditioner filter needed cleaning.
2. the dishwasher was leaking.
3. the DVD player speakers didn't work.

Being here for a week, we also needed extra supplies in our room: such as dishes, cutlery, towels and hangers.

In spite of how busy and crowded the hotel was, the staff were very obliging and service was top notch. All requests and concerns were attended to within 1 to 2 hours: some were attended to within minutes. The air-conditioner filter was cleaned, DVD player was replaced, and daily cleaning service was organised to do the dishes as they could not move us to a different room. This was all done with politeness and smiles.

Special mention should go to Will at the front desk, the lovely maintenance guy Justin and Farhana the cleaner. They all went above and beyond.

A few details (for those who like them)
- we were in room 707 in the Altitude building, the same building as the pool, which is on the 6th floor. The room was great, with a lovely view of sunsets and privacy because it was the furthest room from the lifts.
- if you are driving, you need to drive down Ranelagh St to access hotel parking for $18, or you can try parking on the street, which could be a hassle.
- there is no bath, but we had a shower hose which was fine.
- the pool was lovely. There's a spa with great views where our kids went swimming every day. Temperature in the spa is around 37c, without the jets on, so our kids were warm without overheating, and it was nice and shallow for little ones. If you plan to use the spa with your kids, please do not turn the bubbles on as the pool will get dangerously hot (just google kids and spas). I kept a very close eye and checked our kids often to make sure they were ok and not overheating.
- there is a combined washer/ dryer in the kitchen. Bring washing powder for a front loader: it is not supplied.
- supplies are limited: there is 1 pack of dishwashing liquid, 1 pack of dishwasher powder, 1 tea towel, enough tea/ coffee/ sugar to last 2 days. Kitchenware is limited, for basic breakfasts and quick meals. You will not be able to cook up a gourmet feast.
- if you are unlucky and the previous guests in your room were dodgy there will be things missing or faulty. Check the room carefully (especially things like electronics which break without being obvious) and let the lovely staff know promptly.

We had a great stay with our kids, and would highly recommend it for families.

Room Tip: We were in room 707 in the Altitude building, the same building as the pool, which is on the 6th flo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with iStay Precinct; it is great to hear you and your family have enjoyed all apartment and building facilties during your week with us in December. We do appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to correct problems you encountered to make your stay more enjoyable and your kind words have been passed on to Will, Justin and Farhana. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to iStay Precinct when visiting Adelaide in the future.
Batchelor, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed in a one-bedroom apartment which (after more than a week camping) was absolute luxury. We had full use of foxtel, all channels and excellent kitchen facilities. The room was also super quiet for a city stay, we couldn't hear any traffic or outside noise at all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reesa99
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with iStay Precinct. It is great to hear you have found our apartments a luxurious addition to your holiday. We are delighted found the apartment quiet for our central location and were able to enjoy the apartment facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to iStay Precinct again.
Perth
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We,recently stayed three nights in a Compact sky view two bedroom apartment on the 11th floor
The apartment was perfect for 3 people We had everything we needed supplied good to have a kitchen Loved the view from the glassed in balcony that had a table and chairs Good place to watch the world go by We could even see our daughters plane take off
we stayed there as thought it the apartments would be close to everything and they are The apartments are only 10 mins from Adelaide Oval our main reason for being in Adelaide unfortunately no Rolling Stones! Transport is close and a short walk into town We plan to stay gain if Rolling Stones come back
Our only negative is that we had arranged for our Rolling Stones tickets to be sent to Istay I contacted them because they wouldn't have got to our address in time I rang twice to let Istay know to expect some mail well ahead of them being delivered 3 times Australia Post were told wrong address even though Istay had it on their computer Just as well the concert was cancelled haven't got tickets so not happy!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at iStay Precinct, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with iStay Precinct. It is great to hear you have found our apartments were equipped with everything you needed during your stay. We are delighted you enjoyed relaxing on the apartment balcony; our sky view apartments do allow a great view of Adelaide city and suburbs. We look forward to welcoming you back to iStay Precinct in the future.