“Shaky start but great finish”

Andre's Cucina and Polenta Bar
Ranked #5 of 1,739 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Little tricky to find as it is part of Mantra's frontage but we got there. Shown to a table which was in the corridor walkway to toilets despite half empty restaurant at the time and booking a week prior. Asked to be moved and after a few minutes this was done although a little frostily. Things got much better from that point with the waitress explaining how the menu worked. We chose the menu fisso where the kitchen decides what you eat. At $59 pp this was good value given the quality of the food.
There was a bit of bad practice with the wine arriving already opened but was good.
Food was excellent with great flavours and sharing portions were just right.
The pastries platter was yummy and ended the meal well. We'll definitely return.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Well this is a little gem of a restaurant. Hats off to Andre Ursini ex Masterchef contestant. He has got it just right with this place. I called in just on spec as it was in same building as hotel I was staying at. It was jumping, very busy but I was invited to sit at the bar to eat - which wasn't as bad as it sounds because it was interesting watching them cooking and the meals coming out of the kitchen.

I was going to order fish of the day, which sounded really nice - baked with mussels, prawns and fennel purée - but I was interested in the beet root cavatellu. The waitress assured me I would never have tasted anything like it so that was it. I had to try it. Wow. In a word - awesome. I very rarely wax lyrical about food unless it is very very good. And this was better than good. A delightful mix of flavours and textures. The crunch of walnuts, hand made pasta cooked to perfection and every now and then the earthy tang of beetroot cubes. I don't normally order pasta dishes because after a few mouthfuls I get bored but not with this dish. Every mouthful was different. The sauce was rich and creamy without being sickly and every now and then there was a hint of citrus.

The restaurant itself was lively and very busy but the wait staff are very attentive and friendly. I enjoyed myself so much that I decided to go back again the next night. However didn't enjoy my food as much - I had the fish of the day and I guess I'm just not a fan of baked fish. It was a bit of a disappointment. I also ordered the polenta with mushrooms. Big mistake. There was enough to feed four people and no way could I get through it all.

It was a pretty expensive night the second night. The fish was $38 and the polenta was $22. The first night was not so bad $29. All in all I really liked the place and I will definitely be going back

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was invited here with friends (locals) and was so impressed with every course.

We shared 2 carpaccio's (one angus steak and one yellowfin tuna) both of which were spectacular and shared 3 mains, a magnificent steak, an indulgent confit duck leg and a creative beetroot pasta. All were cooked to perfection, well sized with sufficient accompaniments that there is no need for side dishes. The rustic bread was plentiful and the Coriole EVO just perfect.

A great little Italian. I'll be back on my next visit to Adelaide.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

To be honest I was only able to try a small selection from the menu because we dined very late, as the kitchen was closing. But everything was delicious and the service was great. Would like to visit and have a proper meal one day.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Never heard of Andre's until former work colleague booked us in for lunch. Good atmoshphere inside with attentive staff although it wasn't over busy. 5 of us shared an entree & each a main. Everyone was impressive with the sliced steak & the duck was excellent. A couple of BYO bottles helped with the enjoyment. Easy access well situated. Very large range of meals including the Fisso which we didnt try as we had been told its a big meal(degustation) maybe next time.