“Perfect food, friendly staff. We'll be back!”

Utopia at Waterfall Gully
Ranked #86 of 1,623 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$5 - US$44
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled at the base of a spectacular 18 metre waterfall, Utopia is a truly unique and picturesque dining and event venue. Just 10km from the CBD, Utopia is housed in a beautifully preserved, century-old stone chalet which boasts the unique title of Australia's last reminaing heritage 'tea room', and the nation's only restaurant set beside a natural waterfall. Utopia is a proudly family owned and operated business, headed by Justin (a multi-award winning chef) and Kelly (an award-winning wedding and events coordinator). The chalet hosts hundreds of exquisite, boutique weddings and events each year, and is also open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea from Wednesday to Sunday. The mouth watering, modern Australian menu showcases some of the state's finest local produce, perfectly matched with sensational wines hand-picked from across the state. Utopia offers: table service breakfast and lunch, Wednesday to Sunday and most public holidays quick kiosk for coffee, drinks, snacks and ice creams, Wednesday to Sunday unique and customised weddings, special events and functions plentiful free parking picturesque, fully disability-accessible venue all just 10 minutes from Adelaide.
“Perfect food, friendly staff. We'll be back!”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My mother in law and I stopped in here for lunch recently. We loved the atmosphere with the waterfall in the background. The food was delicious. We had a selection of menu items on a tasting type plate. The dessert was superb. Best lunch we've had out bar none!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Kelliec84

Melbourne, Australia
“Overrated, overpriced and overrun by joggers”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My family attended Utopia yesterday looking for a Wedding venue and arrived as a bride and groom were attempting to have wedding photos taken. I felt sorry for them. Upon arrival we had to do laps to get a car park, and when we did we noticed there was a small reserved area for wedding guests, but that's the problem, it's only very small. We started our walk toward the waterfall and couldn't believe all of the joggers and sightseers causally strolling around and past a bride and groom trying to get photos for their wedding. There was no privacy and they kept having to stop and wait...we also noticed members of the public making use of the small restaurant/cafe for coffee etc; I would assume that this would be closed to the general public if you were to have a rather pricey wedding booked here for that day. It certainly wasn't for us. We grabbed an expensive drink for the kids and left, disappointed that a potential venue was crossed off our list due to complete lack of privacy; scantily clad joggers aren't exactly the type of guests I pictured at my wedding ;)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank NoStoppingUs
ParisPiccolo, Owner at Utopia at Waterfall Gully, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hi there, I am the owner at Utopia and I wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to visit Utopia! I'm so sorry you didn't pop in to chat with us or try our award-winning food - as we could have cleared up a few things for you. It appears you visited around noon on one of our first warm and sunny days of the season - which means we were unusually busy in the gully with walkers and picnickers enjoying the sunshine. We were also hosting a 50 person birthday event at the time! I'd just like to clarify that the couple you witnessed having photos were not one of our bridal couples - they were a couple re-creating their wedding photos from months earlier due to the lovely weather. Our weddings and bridal photos are always held in the afternoons and evenings, when there is plenty of privacy, the car park is closed off for our private events - and as you will see from our many wedding reviews, the entire venue and gully are incredibly private and exclusive for our couples. I'm so sad that you really didn't experience the true atmosphere of Utopia as it stands for our bridal couples later in the day...please take the time to chat with our team if you are ever visiting again, as we'd love you to know more about our beautiful, multi-award winning weddings!
Adelaide, Australia
“The food did not meet our expectations”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We Just had lunch there, the ambience, quietness and open fire were good, the fire should have been set hotter for the cold day. The service was good. The main problem was the food, it was only of road house quality and overpriced, especially the salt and pepper tofu, at $30.00 it was about three times overpriced, especially considering the small size of the meal.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Creosote2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Atmosphere and great food”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Everything here was perfect: food, drink, ambience, service. It's an old place, beautifully refurbished, and maybe just a little bit cold temp-wise... but don't let that hold you back. Just dress for it if you are going in winter.

Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“great birthday lunch in Adelaide”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We visited Utopia recently for my birthday lunch. Took along my parents and had a great table in front of the fire. We had a great lunch with really pleasant service. The chef took me down into the cellar to let me have a look around. The food was among the best I've had in recent years.

We will be back next time in Adelaide.

• Visited June 2013