“Best Eggs Benedict I have ever had!”

Utopia at Waterfall Gully
Ranked #89 of 1,622 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$5 - US$44
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled at the base of a spectacular 18 metre waterfall, Utopia is a truly unique and picturesque dining and event venue. Just 10km from the CBD, Utopia is housed in a beautifully preserved, century-old stone chalet which boasts the unique title of Australia's last reminaing heritage 'tea room', and the nation's only restaurant set beside a natural waterfall. Utopia is a proudly family owned and operated business, headed by Justin (a multi-award winning chef) and Kelly (an award-winning wedding and events coordinator). The chalet hosts hundreds of exquisite, boutique weddings and events each year, and is also open for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea from Wednesday to Sunday. The mouth watering, modern Australian menu showcases some of the state's finest local produce, perfectly matched with sensational wines hand-picked from across the state. Utopia offers: table service breakfast and lunch, Wednesday to Sunday and most public holidays quick kiosk for coffee, drinks, snacks and ice creams, Wednesday to Sunday unique and customised weddings, special events and functions plentiful free parking picturesque, fully disability-accessible venue all just 10 minutes from Adelaide.
Beijing, China
“Best Eggs Benedict I have ever had!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

To have a restaurant of such high calibre on our doorstep backing onto the hills and waterfall in such a magic position is amazing for Adelaide.
Utopia is set in a wonderfully honest early century wooden pavilion with many original features that have not only been kept but are celebrated and preserved.
If the setting and architecture don't blow you away (although I am not sure why these wouldn't appeal) then the food certainly will.
We went for breakfast (entertaining out of state guests) and it was nothing short of spectacular. All 3 mains were different - there is plenty to choose from - and we were all exclaiming how each of ours were 'the best'.
I now can't wait to go back and try the lunch menu. The wine list looks incredible and nearly all are from local Adelaide regions.
Its brilliant to have a venue of such high quality to be able to show off Adelaide's finest and support a wholly local family run venture.
We will certainly be back, thanks for a perfect morning and excellent coffee!

• Visited June 2014

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Great all-day breakfast in superb surroundings”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A roaring log fire, cosy blankets, chandeliers and fairy lights, with a magnificent waterfall in the background. Settings don't get much better than this! All-day weekend breakfast with many yummy options (including corn cakes, pancakes, and all the usual Eggs Benedict, omelettes, big brekkies, muesli etc. at reasonable prices. Great coffee, pots of tea and hot chocolates. $10 Devonshire tea with 2 huge scones (or upgrade to a glass of bubbles for $14!). Great place for high teas, wedding receptions etc too.

Cosy and historic chalet-like building with a big verandah (partly enclosed). I love curling up on a wintry day with my book and a coffee and a cosy blanket - late autumn trees, singing birds and frogs, trickling stream, crashing waterfall. No better way to spend a weekend afternoon.

And pack your walking shoes, as this is the starting point for the Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty hike (allow a couple of hours). Simply magnificent!! Why do I love living in Adelaide? Where else could you get all this only 20 minutes from the city?

Downsides - I think the prices for lunch/dinner are a little high (over $30) and sometimes the service can be a little slow ... but the staff are super-friendly :-)

Adelaide, Australia
“Utopia in every way”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have just returned from lunch at Utopia @Waterfall Gully. It is a magical location on a perfect Autumn day with a sense of tranquillity despite the bustling volume of traffic visiting the National Park. Entering the restaurant we were welcomed by the delightful and engaging Emma who saw us to our table in front of the crackling fire - adding to the welcoming ambience, if not strictly necessary on a mild Autumn day. The new seasonal menu offered a range of appealing dishes and with 3 people in our party we were able to try a good range of the options between us. The three course lunch special is amazing value. The food quality and presentation is outstanding with attention to detail and something to suit everyone. Would recommend the Venison with a quality Cabernet Sauvignon, but every option we had was a winner.

Adelaide, Australia
“Utopia @ Waterfall Gully Restaurant”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went up to Utopia recently for lunch, and wow what a place to eat. The roaring log fire; the food = magnificent, the service = fantastic, attention to detail = just lovely!!!! will certainly be going again...and again...and again... Certainly well worth the visit and not far out of Adelaide .

“Impossible to Park”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went for breakfast on the Australia Day public holiday. The restaurant carpark was full with people walking up Mt Lofty. I parked in the staff ramp, but I did not realise it was staff parking at the time. The food was ok. I had the sweetcorn cakes, I was expecting them warm and just cooked, but no I think they were prepared a day ago as they were cold. My friends had the mushrooms and they said they tasted like they were sweetened with sugar? It's a great view, but not worth the hassle trying to find a carpark. My friend got a parking ticket...so we will not be back.

Visited January 2014
ParisPiccolo, Owner at Utopia at Waterfall Gully, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your experience at our restaurant. As the owner of this small, passionate, family-run restaurant feedback is critical to help us improve - and I am certainly disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy your time with us.

I'd really like to clarify a few of the issues you have raised.

Yes, gorgeous Waterfall Gully is always incredibly busy on public holidays! It is a wonderful place for walkers and families, and Australia Day 2014 was in fact one of the busiest days we have ever experienced. We do have reserved parking for our guests directly in front of the restaurant, and this does include the ramp area. The clearly signed roadside and conservation park carparks are managed by the local council and while I am sorry to hear that your friend parked illegally and received a ticket, this really is beyond our control.

Our sweetcorn cakes are handmade fresh daily and are served topped with freshly sliced smoked salmon, rocket and salsa - definitely intended to be a cold dish. Our 'magic mushrooms' are sautéed in Japanese rice wine, which gives them their distinctive caramelised, sweet flavour. These are two of our most popular breakfast dishes and I am genuinely sorry to hear you disliked them.

We are always happy to replace dishes if our guests are unhappy and I only wish we had been made aware of your unhappiness at the time, so we could have offered you an alternative meal. We would love to welcome you back to Utopia to experience our award-winning food and service, and invite you to chat with our wonderful team any time if you have any concerns or questions about your experience.