“Great service, great food, friendly staff.”
Review of Al Amir - CLOSED

Al Amir
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Great service, great food, friendly staff.”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

So I am currently doing my best to not eat carbohydrates as part of an overall health plan. Im pretty strict about it, and while not always easy, is not as difficult as it might sound.

However, when we attended Al Amir, initially we were a bit concerned. The place was empty. Not normally a good start for a nights eating. However, we were under a bit of time pressure as we were about to see a fringe show, so we decided to order.

My entree which i chose, (whitebait fried with spices) came out floured. My fault for not checking before I ordered. I mentioned to the waiter, assured him it was my fault and considered other options for an entree. My wife had ordered the haloumi, but it was crumbed. At this point I asked if it would be possible to have a non-crumbed haloumi. The waiter went and had a discussion with the chef. The concern was that the dish would lose some of its presentability. I assured them I would be happy and they made the dish for me. I cannot adequately express how much this turned the night around for me. The food was good. My wife quite enjoyed their dips and her haloumi, and I absoloutely loved my haloumi and also the shwarma meat I had. Cooked exceedingly well.

I do not know why this place was empty. It should not be, the service is great, friendly and well priced. Not to mention very good food. Go here!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank raphec

Lanciano, Italy
“excellent dinner”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We just love Lebanese food as we find it somehow very close to our own as we are Italian.We were desperately looking for a Mediterranean restaurant in Adelaide. However flicking through our guidebook we only came across Chinese/Asian restaurants which are OK but don't particularly appeal to us. No sooner had we left our hotel on Hindley Street than we found this central restaurant which is upstairs, on level one. As we were starving and could not browse inside we decided to buy a pig in a poke all the same. The restaurant is not particularly big and there were few local Aussies eating there. We ordered some nice starters which consisted of chickpea hummous, pickles, aubergine cream and another one served with their bread. Absolutely fantastic, we really loved them. Then we all had a sizzling hot plate of lamb shawarma each cooked to perfection, scrumptious indeed! We actually expected it to be with veggies or chips as they do over here in Europe but it was only meat, excellent though.
I remember we kept asking for bread which promptly arrived. The bill was not bad for the three of us $ 85.50 (€ 66). Undoubtedly recommended. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank theozziebloke
Christchurch, New Zealand
“An Upstairs Heaven”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Was provided excellent service from the moment we entered the restaurant. Our waiter took time to ensure our comfort at the table before handing us our menu’s, took time to explain some of the day’s specialities, and ensured we had sufficient time to make our decision without being rushed. Absolutely brilliant service.
The Restaurant’s specialty is providing Lebanese and Mediterranean foods. We had the former (having a penchant for Lebanese dishes), and apart from being fantastic portions, the food was exquisitely exceptional.
Another bonus was its very reasonable prices.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank FyingKiwi
Adelaide, Australia
“Hidden upstairs off Rundle St you'll find a nice surprise”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We popped in on a Friday evening after a little walk through the shops on Rundle Street. Not knowing what to expect we were surprised with both the quality of the food and service we recieved.
Having decided to select a table full of Mezze dishes to share between the two of us instead of ordering mains the host was very good at helping us choose when we got stuck. And what a good choice we made. In all we had 6 Mezze dishes as well as dips and breads and well we were stuffed by the end of it all. Great pastries, stuffed vine leaves and flavoured chicken wings all well cooked and with an array of flavours.
Every dish was great and even though they currently don't have a liqour license the recommended traditional soft drinks were tasty.
Even though it felt like we had eaten our way through Lebanon we still had room for a traditional coffee and a selection of desserts which not knowing my Labanese culture would say were more Turkish until closer inspection of the sign realised the restaurant is also Mediterranean.

Good for all parties and prizes range from affordable to mid range. The idea of sharing Mezze certainly worked well.

Impecable service through out, helpful and not pressured I would certainly recommend if you want to try something a little different try Al Amir

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank zuzahandbear
Perth, Australia
“Cheap & cheerful”
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

Visited on a Monday night. Not much else open. Sat upstairs to watch the world go by. Food was ok but plentiful. Staff knowledgable . Food was served quick more for the tourist than fine dining.

1 Thank Steve D