“Yummy Lebanese food with great service”
Review of Al Amir - CLOSED

Al Amir
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Yummy Lebanese food with great service”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

I ate here as part of a group of 10, who burst into the restaurant late on a rainy night. The staff were very accommodating and rearranged tables to seat us together. The wine selection was good, as was the food. Service was exemplary and we were very well looked after. Would be happy to eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lily_Was_Here

Adelaide, Australia
“Thanks, we will be back”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Very accommodating helpful staff.

We shared and enjoyed a delicious banquet.

Very delicious hummus, baba ganoush and tabbouleh (all of which I have the pleasure of enjoying as leftovers for lunch today :0).

The restaurant and the staff uniforms could do with a bit of an update.

But when it comes down to it, it is all about the food and it was very enjoyable.

We were even informed when we had finished a course there would be a 15 minute wait on the next ...with apologies. Lovely, we appreciated they let us in on that bit of info.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Yickadee
Melbourne, Australia
“Great service, great food, friendly staff.”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

So I am currently doing my best to not eat carbohydrates as part of an overall health plan. Im pretty strict about it, and while not always easy, is not as difficult as it might sound.

However, when we attended Al Amir, initially we were a bit concerned. The place was empty. Not normally a good start for a nights eating. However, we were under a bit of time pressure as we were about to see a fringe show, so we decided to order.

My entree which i chose, (whitebait fried with spices) came out floured. My fault for not checking before I ordered. I mentioned to the waiter, assured him it was my fault and considered other options for an entree. My wife had ordered the haloumi, but it was crumbed. At this point I asked if it would be possible to have a non-crumbed haloumi. The waiter went and had a discussion with the chef. The concern was that the dish would lose some of its presentability. I assured them I would be happy and they made the dish for me. I cannot adequately express how much this turned the night around for me. The food was good. My wife quite enjoyed their dips and her haloumi, and I absoloutely loved my haloumi and also the shwarma meat I had. Cooked exceedingly well.

I do not know why this place was empty. It should not be, the service is great, friendly and well priced. Not to mention very good food. Go here!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank raphec
Lanciano, Italy
“excellent dinner”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We just love Lebanese food as we find it somehow very close to our own as we are Italian.We were desperately looking for a Mediterranean restaurant in Adelaide. However flicking through our guidebook we only came across Chinese/Asian restaurants which are OK but don't particularly appeal to us. No sooner had we left our hotel on Hindley Street than we found this central restaurant which is upstairs, on level one. As we were starving and could not browse inside we decided to buy a pig in a poke all the same. The restaurant is not particularly big and there were few local Aussies eating there. We ordered some nice starters which consisted of chickpea hummous, pickles, aubergine cream and another one served with their bread. Absolutely fantastic, we really loved them. Then we all had a sizzling hot plate of lamb shawarma each cooked to perfection, scrumptious indeed! We actually expected it to be with veggies or chips as they do over here in Europe but it was only meat, excellent though.
I remember we kept asking for bread which promptly arrived. The bill was not bad for the three of us $ 85.50 (€ 66). Undoubtedly recommended. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank theozziebloke
Christchurch, New Zealand
“An Upstairs Heaven”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Was provided excellent service from the moment we entered the restaurant. Our waiter took time to ensure our comfort at the table before handing us our menu’s, took time to explain some of the day’s specialities, and ensured we had sufficient time to make our decision without being rushed. Absolutely brilliant service.
The Restaurant’s specialty is providing Lebanese and Mediterranean foods. We had the former (having a penchant for Lebanese dishes), and apart from being fantastic portions, the food was exquisitely exceptional.
Another bonus was its very reasonable prices.

• Visited July 2012