“Could do better”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 11 February 2014

As an ex-Adelaidian returning to my home city at Christmas I was looking forward to a chance to stay at the Hilton (the place to be back in my uni days). Unfortunately my experience was mixed. Concierge and check-in were both good, our room on the Executive Floor was the standard Hilton décor, nicely cleaned, with a good view towards the hills and a window that opened.

The lounge, only open for evening drinks at that time of year, was excellent with a good choice of drinks and food and pleasant staff.

And the room rate, at a quiet time of the year, was very good value.

However there were a few things that let this hotel down. Firstly, breakfast gave the impression of cost cutting put first. The pre-prepared juices tasted like they only had a very distant relationship with fresh fruit, and were extremely bland. There was a fresh juice bar but the hard-working staff member only had one, small juicer and couldn't keep up with demand. The cooked food was nothing special, the muffins were yesterday's and all in all it was ok at best.

Only some rooms had been renovated. Friends staying in a room on level 2 complained that their room was dated and very tired (I assume that it's worth getting a higher room if available).

But the most unpleasant part of our stay, and what lost this hotel one of the stars in this rating, was the behaviour of the front-of-house manager.

We had two experiences of him, the first when he reprimanded a couple concerned about the damage done to their car in hotel parking, on the first day of our stay, and the second when my husband questioned the valet parking fee, that was more expensive than that quoted on their website. I know that the customer is not always right, but there is a polite way of dealing with complaints and then then there's the antagonistic approach taken by this manager. It really took the shine off of our stay.

Would I stay there again? Probably not - although the location's good, I think that Adelaide has better choices.

Room Tip: The view over the Adelaide hills and Victoria Square is nicer than over the suburbs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear traveltimeCanberra,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your stay with us over Christmas.

I am pleased that you were happy with your room on the Executive Floor and you were able to experience the Executive Lounge for evening drinks and canapés however concerned that you were not totally satisfied with your stay.

Our breakfast buffet has changed slightly due to guest request. We have included more fresh healthy options with selected hot food cooked on request. I apologise if this did not suit you and for the delay in getting fresh juices on this occasion. Your comments have been shared with the Executive Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure the standard and service is monitored.

I also note your comments regarding the service provided by one of our Managers at Reception. Please rest assured our team undergo continuous training sessions in dealing with many situations in a professional manner. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I apologise for your disappointment in the way it was handled.

I hope I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Considering it's the Hilton, this one is really underwhelming - room is fairly small and old-fashioned. I'm outraged that a hotel like this does not provide complimentary wifi - absolutely preposterous!

The only saving grace is the location of the hotel (even the bar looks depressing!). Don't think I'll be coming back anytime soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hyqel

Dear Hyqel,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed that you found Hilton Adelaide underwhelming. We are currently in the planning stages of our next refurbishment which will see more of the guest areas updated and modernised. I note your comment regarding Wi-Fi. Unfortunately Wi-Fi is not free of charge in guest rooms however it is offered free in the Lobby, Restaurant, Business Lounge and Executive Lounge. A connectivity station has has also recently been installed in the Lobby area for guests convenience.

Our location is very convenient with many popular shopping areas and restaurants within walking distance.

I hope you will give me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future to experience our next upgrade.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

loved it, was a great weekend away spot in the heart of the city. booked through booking.com and was the best value for money i have had in adelaide, free ice to the room and a great breakfast in bed, i will highly reccommend this to family and friends

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Hamish B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am delighted that you found Hilton Adelaide to be good value for money and a great place for a weekend getaway.

Our Brasserie Restaurant has a sumptuous buffet on offer however many breakfast choices are also available from Room Service for those who would prefer breakfast in their room.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. The room was comfortable enough but the housekeeping terrible. We came back each day after being out sightseeing and our robes were still lying on the floor along with our pillows, our water glasses were still on the bedside were we'd left them from the night before and our towels were hung up in a way where I wasn't sure if they were fresh or old towels. I just don't find this acceptable for 5 star prices. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Smiles31297

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased that you found your room comfortable however concerned regarding your comments relating to the Housekeeping service you experienced.

Please rest assured this is not the service we strive to achieve and this will be discussed with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure more care is taken. I apologise for your disappointment and any inconvenience this caused.

I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times now, on all occasions for work. It is not a great hotel as far as Hiltons go, the building is older and the rooms are small. So if you're used to the Sydney Hilton or Hilton South Wharf, this is not as modern. However, it is a great hotel by Adelaide standards and my preferred hotel in comparison to the Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Sebel and Rendezvous.

The rooms are smaller, but are well appointed, in good repair and clean. There is complimentary bottled water and the hotel is quiet. The room service menu is extensive and modern.

The executive lounge is small, but adequate. I enjoyed a nice continental breakfast with great service from the lovely Lisa. In particular I enjoy the personalised service, Lisa offered that as she could see I was checking out she could process my checkout while I had breakfast... wonderful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Katherine A,

I appreciate your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Hilton Adelaide and thank you for your continued loyalty.

I am pleased that you are happy with the hotel and the well-appointed rooms. Our Room Service menu is quite extensive and offers a vast range of healthy options as well as the usual favourites.

The Executive Lounge is a very convenient area for our guests staying in Executive Rooms. Drinks and Canapés are offered in the evening and a complimentary continental breakfast is served each morning. I am pleased you were able to enjoy this benefit and the friendly service you received from Lisa.

I look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights during the Tour Down Under long weekend. The hotel was packed with professional cyclists, team support crews,journalists and other guests. It was the best place to stay to attend the Tour. The first day we arrived we asked for additional towels but after 5 hours of waiting, we had to call housekeeping to remind them of the request. Not withstanding that the hotel was full, you would expect staff were able to cope. We had dinner in the in-house Brasserie, however, the standard of the food was terrible, it was over priced and the quality was worse than the food from a cheap take away venue. The good points - clean spacious room, gym, friendly staff and nice breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Tweedie888,

I appreciate your feedback.

The Tour Down Under long weekend is a very busy time and I apologise that you found the service in Housekeeping slow on this occasion. Your comments have been discussed with the Executive Housekeeper to ensure this is monitored more closely.

Your comments regarding the food and service in the Brasserie Restaurant have been noted and discussed with our Executive Chef to ensure the standard remains at a high and consistent level.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

While a hotel that is part of a global chain it has a rare sense of homeliness to it for those who return regularly. For those who visit for the first time, the staff are extremely welcoming. Rooms are clean, up to date and service in all areas of the hotel is friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Rupert G,

I appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased that you feel a sense of homeliness when returning to Hilton Adelaide and you feel welcome upon your arrival.

Most of our rooms have been recently refurbished and our Housekeeping team take great pride in ensuring they are presented to a high standard.

Our team always takes great care in providing a friendly and efficient service and I am delighted that you experienced this.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.