As an ex-Adelaidian returning to my home city at Christmas I was looking forward to a chance to stay at the Hilton (the place to be back in my uni days). Unfortunately my experience was mixed. Concierge and check-in were both good, our room on the Executive Floor was the standard Hilton décor, nicely cleaned, with a good view towards the hills and a window that opened.
The lounge, only open for evening drinks at that time of year, was excellent with a good choice of drinks and food and pleasant staff.
And the room rate, at a quiet time of the year, was very good value.
However there were a few things that let this hotel down. Firstly, breakfast gave the impression of cost cutting put first. The pre-prepared juices tasted like they only had a very distant relationship with fresh fruit, and were extremely bland. There was a fresh juice bar but the hard-working staff member only had one, small juicer and couldn't keep up with demand. The cooked food was nothing special, the muffins were yesterday's and all in all it was ok at best.
Only some rooms had been renovated. Friends staying in a room on level 2 complained that their room was dated and very tired (I assume that it's worth getting a higher room if available).
But the most unpleasant part of our stay, and what lost this hotel one of the stars in this rating, was the behaviour of the front-of-house manager.
We had two experiences of him, the first when he reprimanded a couple concerned about the damage done to their car in hotel parking, on the first day of our stay, and the second when my husband questioned the valet parking fee, that was more expensive than that quoted on their website. I know that the customer is not always right, but there is a polite way of dealing with complaints and then then there's the antagonistic approach taken by this manager. It really took the shine off of our stay.
Would I stay there again? Probably not - although the location's good, I think that Adelaide has better choices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hilton Adelaide and South Australia. Centrally located in the heart of the city, overlooking Victoria Square, Hilton Adelaide is the perfect hotel for business, leisure or both! This hotel is just a stone’s throw from Adelaide’s shopping, dining, theatre and business precincts. Next door is the famous Adelaide Central Market and around the corner you will find Chinatown and Gouger Street, Adelaide’s largest restaurant precinct. Getting around is easy when you stay at Hilton Adelaide, at its doorstep is the free city tram taking you directly to seaside Glenelg or along North Terrace to the Adelaide Casino, Convention Centre, Entertainment Centre, Festival Centre and Rundle Mall. An easy stroll away from the hotel is Adelaide Oval, River Torrens and historical North Terrace. South Australians pride themselves on enjoying the good life, particularly the joys of fine wine and food. Hilton Adelaide's proximity to so many of the best wineries in the country including McLaren Vale and the Adelaide Hills, which guests can see from their rooms. On the outskirts of the city is lush countryside and 20 minutes by car or tram, lies the natural beauty of unspoiled beaches. SLEEP: Designed with the discerning traveller in mind, Hilton Adelaide's great choice of 374 accommodation rooms, ranging from stylish Deluxe rooms to the exclusive luxury of the Executive Floor and suites, set the standard for accommodation in South Australia. As a standard, each guest room offers individually controlled air conditioning, Foxtel Digital, pay movies, WIFI. Other amenities include mini bar, hairdryer, safes, tea and coffee making facilities. Smoking and special needs rooms are available. RELAX: The Executive Lounge boasts views over this beautiful city and towards the coast and offers a dedicated reception area for personalised check-in and check-out. Continental Buffet Breakfast, afternoon refreshments, evening cocktails and canapes are served exclusively to Executive Floor guests along with complimentary WIFI. ENJOY: Hilton Adelaide boasts extensive leisure facilities including a gym, sauna, an outdoor heated swimming pool and tennis court with a jogging track exclusively available to all hotel guests. WINE DINE & HAVE FUN: The latest edition to Hilton Adelaide’s food & beverage offering is Coal Cellar + Grill. Bringing it back to basics and true to its name, the menu highlights the best of South Australia’s produce using a variety of cooking methods including the feature charcoal grill and rotisserie. The wine choice is abundant with over 500 labels listed, majority from South Australia and all on display in the Cellar. The restaurant and lounge compliments the popular cocktail destination in Adelaide – The Collins Bar, so guests visiting, meeting or sleeping at Hilton Adelaide will not need to leave to have a fun night out! Coal Cellar + Grill is Seriously South Australian®. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Agoda, Southall Travel, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Adelaide reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Adelaide Hotel Adelaide
- Hilton International Adelaide
- Adelaide Hilton International